Engine Missfire on Hills & above 4000 rpm

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
sadoll6360

Engine Missfire on Hills & above 4000 rpm

Post by sadoll6360 »

Hello, here my problem,

2003 Vibe AWD 1.8L 193,000 Miles.

First had a 02 sensor Lean code check engine light at apx 180,000 miles

Then at apx 182,000 miles engine lost power and needed Coil for cylinder 1 replaced. IT was replaced and all plugs were replaced. Ran fine.

At apx, 190,000 miles a misfire began when traveling up hills or when above 4,000 rpm during acceleration. When this happens the check engine light flashes until the engien is no longer under load. Code showed to be a misfire on Cylinder 1. The dealership checked the newly replaced coil and moved it to another cylinder and said that it was still missing in cylinder 1. They said it could be a burned valve or an injector but would need to do a compression test and an expensive diagnosis.

I am wondering if this could be a intake manifold gasket. The car is drivable but a I barley make it up steep hills and can not accelerate above 4,000 rpm.

Please advise on the what the problem may be!

Thank you!

Steve,
Chiadog

Re: Engine Missfire on Hills & above 4000 rpm

Post by Chiadog »

How much is an expensive diagnosis? You can ruin your engine driving it like this! That's Expensive!
1. Learn how to do a compression test and buy a tester.:
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-au ... 69885.html
2. Your description Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me! Get a fuel pump tester and learn to use it safely:
http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injec ... 92699.html
3. Find a competent mechanic, if diagnosing it yourself doesn't appeal to you. Don't wait till you ruin your engine to get it tested.
If your car passes both fuel and compression tests, that leaves you with electrical/computer/sensors/connections/etc. - time to get that electronic diagnosis unless your car is throwing a code that points out a specific sensor. good luck,
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Did you replace the gasket when you got the lean code? How was it fixed the P0171? If not you could have a burnt valve or something bad happen to #1
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
sadoll6360

Post by sadoll6360 »

Salsa Guy wrote:Did you replace the gasket when you got the lean code? How was it fixed the P0171? If not you could have a burnt valve or something bad happen to #1
The Gasket has not been replaced. I recently learned about possible causes for P0171 when searching this forum. Is the P0171 commonly associated with the intake manifold gasket?

Thank you

Steve
sadoll6360

Post by sadoll6360 »

Problem Solved!!!!

It turned out to be two problems. Both of which my local GM dealer supposedly ruled out so be aware.

Problem 1) the brand new aftermarket coil the GM dealer recently installed on cylinder one went bad.

- After correcting this problem the misfire went away but it still lacked significant power going up hills.

Problem 2) The "lifetime" Fuel Filter needed to be replaced. (my car just rolled over 200k)

- This restored my power loss above 4000k when the engine couldn't get the fuel it needed.

The car now runs out great. Hope this helps someone.

Lesson of the day, "lifetime" to a car manufacturer seems to mean 100,000 Miles. So from my experience many Lifetime fluids and filters should be changed 100k +
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

sadoll6360 wrote:Problem Solved!!!!
Problem 2) The "lifetime" Fuel Filter needed to be replaced. (my car just rolled over 200k)
Thanks for the follow-up! Did you replace the whole fuel pump unit or just the filter?
What was the old fuel filter plugged-up with? A lot of us here are approaching 200K.