Any advice for driving stick?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
smurray09

Any advice for driving stick?

Post by smurray09 »

So I've been trying to learn how to drive a stick shift for a while now. I was doing fine until my mother had me take driving lessons with a guy who was a "professional"; even though I told her I didn't need it. Basically he told me to get the RPMs to a specific point around a parking lot. Unfortunately for me, while I was driving with my mother I was doing much better. My mother says that the driving lessons I took a few months ago made me go "backwards". My question to you guys is, how can I learn to drive my stick shift better? I do practice with my mother but unfortunately since I'm now in college I can only do it on the weekends, and she'll possibly be moving to another country soon (in the next couple weeks) so that doesn't leave me with much time left to practice. For the most part, I was doing ok, I am still a little nervous when it comes to getting out of 1st gear when I'm stopped in a stop light or stop sign, mostly because I don't want other people to wait because I'm stalled; etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
KITT222

Re: Any advice for driving stick?

Post by KITT222 »

Ad a bit of a stickshift amateur myself, let me give a few tips I have learned.

- When coming out of first gear the engagement point (point where the engine and transmission are 'connected') isn't a defined point. This point isn't a black and white, clutch-engaged or clutch-disengaged point. It's more of a grey area. You can have the clutch a little bit lower than the point, and give the car gas to get it moving. Realizing that the engagement point was a grey area REALLY helped me.

- There aren't any predefining points where you NEED to shift. I'd say the only REAL place you need to shift is at redline, but that' inefficient, noisy, and not the best way to drive the car. You can shift without using the clutch by just matching the RPMs, but really, that's an advanced driving technique, and I do not recommend trying it out. Roughly at 3000rpms is ideal for fuel consumption, but if you're in a slow speed environment (traffic) and first is too torque/too slow, you can shift to second when you're moving. You could stall, so make sure to give enough gas. In other words, where you shift depends on acceleration rate. On a highway on ramp, for example, you may want to give 'er more oomph per gear above first to get up to speed. In normal driving though, roughly 3000rpms should be the maximum you would need.

-I've stalled out when it was my turn to go at a four way stop when practicing without my mom. I cursed, started her Jeep back up, got going, and never saw any of those people again. That said, I am nervous about the same whenever I drive her Jeep. I'm just a blend-with-the-woodwork type of person (I even park my car way off to the curb in Grand Theft Auto so the NPCs don't have to go around my vehicle :? ). My point is, yes, you will be nervous. But don't put too much pressure on yourself! If you're nervous then you'll FOR SURE make a mistake.
+ I was actually at a Ford event where I could take a Fiesta and Focus ST out on an autocross course. I stalled the thing THREE TIMES on my second run. Was I embarrassed? SURE! Was it funny as hell? Oh yes! Sometimes you just have to relax and let whatever happens, happen.

-Practice in a parking lot. You can't give it too much gas when in first, just too much clutch. If the car starts to buck, and stall, press the clutch in to prevent it from stalling.

That's all I've got for now at least... Good luck! Practice practice practice.... An empty lot, such as a high school over a weekend, or stadium lot, or whatever one where there will be nobody will be just fine. Practicing in traffic will make you nervous.

Good luck!!
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

Just drive. A lot. Don't ride the clutch.

Experience is what you need.
kostby

Post by kostby »

1. Don’t worry stalling the car in front of other people. It happens. They’ll deal with it.

2. Learn on flat terrain, if at all possible. Save the up-hill starts for later, when you’re more comfortable with driving a stickshift. Try to find a new subdivision under construction, or an empty school or shopping center parking lot, with lots of intersections, but go practice when there is little or no actual traffic and no construction traffic. Then practice starting and stopping at every intersection, even if they are not marked as 4-way stops.

3. Use the accelerator to rev the engine slightly above idle, say 1500 rpm, and then gently release the clutch while giving the engine more gas. You are ‘slipping’ the clutch--a bit--to get the car rolling smoothly. Done to the extreme (when there is distinct burning smell) definitely will shorten the life of the clutch.

4. Practice.
5. Practice.
6. Practice.

If you're a visual person:
Imagine the clutch and the accelerator as a pair of scissors, two levers with a common fulcrum, moving in opposite directions.

Instead of your fingers, you're trying to make the scissors work smoothly with your legs moving in opposite directions.

The clutch leg moves toward you “letting out the clutch” as the gas leg moves away from you “accelerating”

The engine stalls or the car ‘bucks’ forward in jumps when you let out the clutch too quickly while giving the engine too little gas.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
trb

Post by trb »

KITT222 wrote: + I was actually at a Ford event where I could take a Fiesta and Focus ST out on an autocross course. I stalled the thing THREE TIMES on my second run. Was I embarrassed? SURE! Was it funny as (removed)? Oh yes! Sometimes you just have to relax and let whatever happens, happen.
LOL! Don't feel bad about killing it KITT, I almost killed the Focus ST too. And I've driven a manual car for over 28 years! :D

smurray09, don't worry about it. Learning how to drive a manual car just takes practice. I taught myself, my wife, sister in law, brother in law, and my daughter how to drive a manual. The best advice I could give was to give the car some gas when at a stop, keep the RPMs up around 2,000 or more, and slowly let out the clutch. When it starts to engage, the RPMs start to drop, and the car moves forward, give it a bit more gas and continue letting out the clutch all the way. I would try to shift to the next gear at or before 3,000 RPMs as was suggested. As you practice it more and more, you learn how the car "feels" when it is starting to go, or stall, and can adjust the gas and clutch as needed. It becomes much easier with practice. I can start my Mustang from a stop at about 1,000-1,200 RPMs and shift to all the next gears at about 2,000 RPMs up until I get to fifth. And you would never know that I was shifting if you were not watching and listening, it is so smooth. But then I've driven probably 375,000 miles in manual transmission cars.

Good luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Best way to learn the clutch engagement point is to find and flat parking lot (or aim downhill) and from a stop SLOWLY let out the clutch until you feel it grab. The car will start to pull itself forward and then slowly let out the clutch the rest of the way. Done properly you wont need to give it any gas at all, really.

I taught my wife to drive stick on my old xrs with a stage 2 clutch and a lightweight flywheel...

Practice is key, though. I had been driving for about 8years before I learned manual. Once I had the basics, I went and test drove manual transmission cars at new car dealers....a lot, lol.
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

Don't overthink it. You will know what I mean when this happens: You will be driving with a passenger. You stop, and then take off without even thinking about it, because you were talking. THAT is the day your body will have figured it out. You need to build up muscle memory, not brain memory.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
smurray09

Post by smurray09 »

Thank you all for the advice. Since next weekend is a 4 day weekend (5 for me), I'll have more time to drive over the weekend since I'm going home on Friday. We'll see how I do then, hopefully better since I really need the car. I'll give you all a follow up! Thanks again guys!!! :D
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

kostby wrote:1. Don’t worry stalling the car in front of other people. It happens. They’ll deal with it.
Maybe make a sign that says you may stall out because you're learning stick for the rear window.

I'd like for my next car to be a manual 2014 Mazda3 or Veloster, but have never driven stick. I feel confident that I'm fully capable of learning, despite having zilch experience.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Great advice from everyone here, definitely agree to not worry about stalling too much. If i see someone stall, i don't mind at all, because at least they're making an attempt to learn. When I began learning stick when i was young, i stalled my mom's car twice in a row at a 3 way stop, had a police officer pull up beside me and ask what the issue was. my mother said to him she was teaching me stick, he chuckled, wished me good luck and drove off.
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

Doug14 wrote:Great advice from everyone here, definitely agree to not worry about stalling too much. If i see someone stall, i don't mind at all, because at least they're making an attempt to learn. When I began learning stick when i was young, i stalled my mom's car twice in a row at a 3 way stop, had a police officer pull up beside me and ask what the issue was. my mother said to him she was teaching me stick, he chuckled, wished me good luck and drove off.
I was teaching my brother-in-law to drive stick at a boat launch, and security came and said that we can't park there, told them what we were doing and pretty much got the same reaction. I been driving a stick since I was 17 when my father taught me in the middle of winter with a burnt out clutch. I've stalled my vibe (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) a few times cause it's so quite, I even stuck it in reverse without putting in the clutch, stupid me. My main issue is where reverse is in this car and the safety to get there, I have put it into reverse many times on accident when I was at a light cause I did it too quick, shifter moves left and left again for reverse, my vento (jetta) is left, push down and left again.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

You really have to not be paying attention to throw a GT into reverse instead of first
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

The first thing I did when I taught my daughter to drive stick was to sit down and draw a diagram of the engine, clutch, and transmission and explain the concepts of how it all works.

Second, just from sitting with the engine idling I showed her that as she let out the clutch slowly there was that point where the clutch started to engage and she could see the RPMs drop and feel and hear the engine under more load. That helped her get a feel for where the engagement began.

I am pretty sure this statement is true - the car will stall only when the clutch is released faster than the increase in fuel given. The best way I think to remedy stalling is to remember that your are "rolling on the gas" as you get moving, that is, continuing to increase pressure on the gas pedal. Don't let the application of the gas pedal lag, stall, or drop off. If the RPMs start to drop, push in the clutch just a bit and get the RPMs up by rolling on more gas.

Finally, don't worry about revving the engine too much or slipping the clutch too much. The car can take it and it is more important to get the car moving and not stall than to worry about abusing the clutch. After all, it should only be a few times that you do this before you get the hang of it.

Tip for how to start on a hill - if you car has a hand brake, pull the brake but keep the button pushed in so that you don't roll back, once the engine is under load as you are rolling on the gas and easing out the clutch you can ease off the brake as well.

Good luck with your practice!

(Next week, I'll tell you how to double clutch downshifts!).
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

thebarber wrote:You really have to not be paying attention to throw a GT into reverse instead of first
i wasn't, too busy talking to the wife and with the kids in back.... :D

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smurray09

Post by smurray09 »

lannvouivre wrote:
kostby wrote:1. Don’t worry stalling the car in front of other people. It happens. They’ll deal with it.
Maybe make a sign that says you may stall out because you're learning stick for the rear window.

I'd like for my next car to be a manual 2014 Mazda3 or Veloster, but have never driven stick. I feel confident that I'm fully capable of learning, despite having zilch experience.
I actually have two bumper stickers on the bumper of my vibe, but unfortunately people don't care lol.
smurray09

Post by smurray09 »

Just an update:

Today I drove to my local mall which is about 16 minutes away with no traffic and not going the freeway route, then I drove to Jamba Juice on the way home. I stalled a few times when going into the mall parking lot which got me VERY frustrated. Then when I was going to Jamba Juice, I did not see a car getting out of a parking spot (I stopped in time to not hit the car), which made my mom start yelling, and I just told my mother that I think I don't need to drive anymore today. Things like this really get me stressed, and makes me very frustrated with myself. I feel like at times I just can't get it.

I have used the advice that you guys have given me. I now, try to shift around 3000 RPMs and it does help with my shifting, they are a lot smoother. One thing I must add, when I start from a complete stop, my mother complains because she says I take forever to get going. Well, I've noticed that if I lift off the clutch or put too much gas, then I'll pop the clutch or rev the engine. So I start off slowly and it really irritates her; any more advice on this?

Thanks.
trb

Post by trb »

If you get it rolling, without killing it, who cares how long it takes?!?!?!?! Not to be rude to your mom, but how long has she been driving? Probably 20+ years more than you have. You will get there, it just takes practice, and PATIENCE from your teachers! And it sounds like you have been doing much better. Good job on the progress you've made!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
kostby

Post by kostby »

It sounds like you're doing just fine. It just takes time and practice.

Is it possible to find someone else to 'co-pilot' while you're still learning?

No offense intended, because I obviously don't know either of you, but It seems to me that some of your anxiety is because of your mother's criticism, not because you're actually having that much difficulty.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Tell your mom to let you drive? It won't help if she's on you to get moving. And if you're moving, then who (other than her) cares? If you wan to get off the line faster than give slightly more gas. Leave her behind, practice in that parking lot, take it easy, don't worry about killing it, and laugh at yourself! Maybe turn on the music and say to yourself, "Get the car over there." Anticipate everything. What really helped me get the hang of driving stick was chatting with my mom about other topics not related to shifting. It got my mind off trying to pinpoint the shift points, and clutching properly. Sure I was herky-jerky. But after a few minutes I was smooooooth (As can be in a Jeep.... which isn't very smooth :? ). We laughed for a good minute when I stalled at a private intersection. Laughed for another minute when I saved it last-second by clutching on reflex. Not worrying might be the best way to learn stick.
smurray09

Post by smurray09 »

kostby wrote:It sounds like you're doing just fine. It just takes time and practice.

Is it possible to find someone else to 'co-pilot' while you're still learning?

No offense intended, because I obviously don't know either of you, but It seems to me that some of your anxiety is because of your mother's criticism, not because you're actually having that much difficulty.
KITT222 wrote:Tell your mom to let you drive? It won't help if she's on you to get moving. And if you're moving, then who (other than her) cares? If you wan to get off the line faster than give slightly more gas. Leave her behind, practice in that parking lot, take it easy, don't worry about killing it, and laugh at yourself! Maybe turn on the music and say to yourself, "Get the car over there." Anticipate everything. What really helped me get the hang of driving stick was chatting with my mom about other topics not related to shifting. It got my mind off trying to pinpoint the shift points, and clutching properly. Sure I was herky-jerky. But after a few minutes I was smooooooth (As can be in a Jeep.... which isn't very smooth :? ). We laughed for a good minute when I stalled at a private intersection. Laughed for another minute when I saved it last-second by clutching on reflex. Not worrying might be the best way to learn stick.
trb wrote:If you get it rolling, without killing it, who cares how long it takes?!?!?!?! Not to be rude to your mom, but how long has she been driving? Probably 20+ years more than you have. You will get there, it just takes practice, and PATIENCE from your teachers! And it sounds like you have been doing much better. Good job on the progress you've made!
Thank you all for the encouragement. Initially, my aunt was supposed to teach me how to drive my car; unfortunately she NEVER made it here. I honestly think it would be much better if another relative taught me but since she's the only one besides my mother who knows how to drive stick, I don't really have a choice but to stick with my mother. I did tell my mother not to yell, sigh, or say anything negative when I was driving but she did anyway. I'll try again with her, but if I can't get it by the time she leaves... I honestly don't know what to do. It's sort of depressing that I'm 22 and I'm still relying on my mother/other people (which I rarely ask, only if I really need it) to take me places. She constantly tells me that there's people younger than me who's driving and I think it makes her upset and makes her think negative about me.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Assuming that you have a drivers license and can legally operate a vehicle alone, you have no problem operating an automatic transmission alone, then take out the variables that add more stress and nervousness to the equation. That would be people in the car and heavy traffic areas. Performance and anticipatory anxiety can be mitigated in the short term by finding the right environment to relax and learn. Sometimes that can mean avoidance of particular triggers or "stressors." Medium or long term anxiety and or panic attack management entails education, possibly some therapy, and even in some cases medication. There are relaxation techniques that can help, along with self hypnosis, meditation, and focus and de-focus techniques, to name a few. I am not saying you have these issues, but it might be something to look into. Everybody has these issues to some extent, and invariably at greater levels at certain times in their lives. Stress reducing and relaxation techniques should be taught to everyone.
Use the mentioned emergency brake on the incline technique. Find the right areas at the right time to practice. Stay off the road during peak traffic hours in the beginning, till you get the hang of it. If you run into traffic and the nerves get to you, just pull over or stop at a gas station or convenience store and get a water or soda pop and breath deep, in and out and relax for a few minutes. It is not a big deal. You can do it!
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

I taught my brother how to drive stick this weekend. Took me about 20-30min of driving around a small subdivision for him to get the hang of it. I had to teach him as I had to drive both cars home from the shop I got my oil spraying done. I don't think he stalled it once on the drive home. (He drove our 91 golf diesel)
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

First time it really "clicked" for me was when I needed the car and my mom was busy so I went out, just my buddy and I, didn't stall once and it was easy going. Like others have said, it's muscle memory, and not letting it stress you out.
smurray09

Post by smurray09 »

10vibe wrote:Assuming that you have a drivers license and can legally operate a vehicle alone, you have no problem operating an automatic transmission alone, then take out the variables that add more stress and nervousness to the equation. That would be people in the car and heavy traffic areas. Performance and anticipatory anxiety can be mitigated in the short term by finding the right environment to relax and learn. Sometimes that can mean avoidance of particular triggers or "stressors." Medium or long term anxiety and or panic attack management entails education, possibly some therapy, and even in some cases medication. There are relaxation techniques that can help, along with self hypnosis, meditation, and focus and de-focus techniques, to name a few. I am not saying you have these issues, but it might be something to look into. Everybody has these issues to some extent, and invariably at greater levels at certain times in their lives. Stress reducing and relaxation techniques should be taught to everyone.
Use the mentioned emergency brake on the incline technique. Find the right areas at the right time to practice. Stay off the road during peak traffic hours in the beginning, till you get the hang of it. If you run into traffic and the nerves get to you, just pull over or stop at a gas station or convenience store and get a water or soda pop and breath deep, in and out and relax for a few minutes. It is not a big deal. You can do it!
thebarber wrote:I taught my brother how to drive stick this weekend. Took me about 20-30min of driving around a small subdivision for him to get the hang of it. I had to teach him as I had to drive both cars home from the shop I got my oil spraying done. I don't think he stalled it once on the drive home. (He drove our 91 golf diesel)
Doug14 wrote:First time it really "clicked" for me was when I needed the car and my mom was busy so I went out, just my buddy and I, didn't stall once and it was easy going. Like others have said, it's muscle memory, and not letting it stress you out.
@Doug14, yea that's how it was for me with stopping and starting around my neighborhood. I just kind of "clicked", after a couple of months not driving. I guess because I figured that I needed to at least learn this before I could even get out of the neighborhood. Maybe it'll eventually click for me, and I'm hoping that it does.

@thebarber is an older car easier to learn how to drive in? I have an '04 vibe. I know it takes some people 20-30 minutes, so I'm trying to figure out why it's taking me months. My mother thinks that it's ridiculous that I can't get the hang of it as quickly as she did.

@10vibe I try my hardest not to be stressed while I'm driving because I know that's the main one of the reasons why I make mistakes.
DTeck

Post by DTeck »

Honestly, the easiest way to learn to drive stick is to never get used to an automatic, imo. I told my dad I wanted to learn to drive stick and the first thing I drove after getting my permit on my 15th birthday. Both vehicles I've owned have been manuals. I have taught my gf to drive them too. (well mostly, she still has some work to do.) But like everyone says, it's muscle memory, you'll get used to it eventually. Good luck and happy shifting! (Too corny? Ah well post it anyway.)
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

smurray09 wrote:
thebarber wrote:I taught my brother how to drive stick this weekend. Took me about 20-30min of driving around a small subdivision for him to get the hang of it. I had to teach him as I had to drive both cars home from the shop I got my oil spraying done. I don't think he stalled it once on the drive home. (He drove our 91 golf diesel)
@thebarber is an older car easier to learn how to drive in? I have an '04 vibe. I know it takes some people 20-30 minutes, so I'm trying to figure out why it's taking me months. My mother thinks that it's ridiculous that I can't get the hang of it as quickly as she did.
older car is similar difficulty, id say.

my brother is 32 and has been driving auto's since he was 16...so he knows how to drive already, which helps. i don't think id ever teach someone to drive on a stick first.

that said, the hardest thing is starting. i taught him the slow clutch release and that made it simple for him to start. then he started with slipping the clutch and some gas.

not sure it matters, but he and i are/were musicians and know how to play drums. we can have our hands and feet doing different things at different times.

but i would just do the slow clutch release thing first. i got the car rolling w/o the gas pedal.....after you do that, you can slowly add the gas pedal to get moving more speedily
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

smurray09 wrote:I did tell my mother not to yell, sigh, or say anything negative when I was driving but she did anyway.
Do we have the same mom?

Any chance you could go by yourself, or with a friend (even if he/she can't drive stick)?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit