catastrophic automatic transmission failure

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
RNRoadsterman

catastrophic automatic transmission failure

Post by RNRoadsterman »

So, I' on my way home from work last night and all of a sudden it's like I'm in neutral. I pull into the Mazda Dealers parking lot and the is a huge puddle of transmission fluid draining out of the car. It's a 2005 2-wheel drive Vibe with 100,000 miles that I bought 2 months ago. I had AAA tow it to my independent mechanic and I'll get the bad news on Monday, My question is: is this a common failure and what do you think it will cost?
Thanks for the advise in advance.
Bob
jake75

Re: catastrophic automatic transmission failure

Post by jake75 »

I am sure more knowledgeable people than me will respond - but it seems AT failures have been few and far between. A total replacement cost will vary depending on whether the part is from a junkyard, rebuilt, new. Sometimes the failures that seem catastrophic are not.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I've never heard of this before, but I'm guessing that having the fluid drain out quickly while driving will not damage anything! Hopefully just a ruptured line or hose. The "wildcard" here is it's a used car and someone may have hidden a problem with silicone seal, etc. Lets all hope it's the former!
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

i will be the bearer of bad news.

a transmission is like the human brain. deprive the human brain of oxygen for too long then irreparable damage will result. there is no fixing it back to 100% by simply resupplying it w oxygen.

the transmission completely depends on trans fluid to keep it cool and running smooth. driving long enough while empty to reach the condition you describe the forward clutches have already been fried and the damage has already been done.

what you can ATTEMPT to do is figure out where the leak is, repair it and fill it up w trans fluid and hope for the best. even if it drives, it won't drive as well as it used to.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe and sorry to hear of this unusual situation you're now in. I have no doubt that the prior owner KNEW of such a potential problem and put a "band-aid" on it in order to sell the car. We here are all very curious as to what the problem is. Have the underside inspected meticulously and look for stripped fittings, newer gasketing, missing fasteners, etc. Something was obviously done to the tranny and was not done properly. Here's hoping for the best for you .............. :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jake75

Post by jake75 »

My youngest son reminds me of Joe Btfsplk, the character in the Lil Abner comic strip that always had a black cloud over his head. I console myself that enduring his troubles may just be my ticket to heaven. Whenever he calls me I fear the worst - and my bank account also fears the worst. Sometimes it is the worst - sometimes not the worst. I hope your transmission trouble is not the worst.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Post by jake75 »

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe and sorry to hear of this unusual situation you're now in. I have no doubt that the prior owner KNEW of such a potential problem and put a "band-aid" on it in order to sell the car. We here are all very curious as to what the problem is. Have the underside inspected meticulously and look for stripped fittings, newer gasketing, missing fasteners, etc. Something was obviously done to the tranny and was not done properly. Here's hoping for the best for you .............. :)
Could be true - but sometimes it's just that ____ happens! The 1998 Voyager van that I gave my son many tears ago had the engine conk out at about 180,000 miles. Bought him a newer Dodge Caravan - (1) the cpu failed; (2) the a/c went out - compressor disintegrated and blew some crap into another part. Total repair was about $1,500. Then a few month's later the valves blew. So we junked it. The owner had no advance knowledge of these future issues. That's the risk you take in buying a used car with no warranty.

When you think about it, motor vehicle parts are not really that reliable. 150,000 miles at an average 30 mph is 5,000 hours of use. That is only 208 days.
You would have to chang the oil every 7 days (30 mph x 168 hrs = 5,000 miles).
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

If it just blew a seal and you didn't drive it around after losing the fluid, it might not be that bad at all.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

kumquat wrote:If it just blew a seal and you didn't drive it around after losing the fluid, it might not be that bad at all.

I think he did. He mentioned driving into the Mazda dealership probably with it still in neutral
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

RNRoadsterman wrote:So, I' on my way home from work last night and all of a sudden it's like I'm in neutral. I pull into the Mazda Dealers parking lot and the is a huge puddle of transmission fluid draining out of the car. It's a 2005 2-wheel drive Vibe with 100,000 miles that I bought 2 months ago. I had AAA tow it to my independent mechanic and I'll get the bad news on Monday, My question is: is this a common failure and what do you think it will cost?
Thanks for the advise in advance.
Bob

Sorry to read this. It is going to cost you a lot. Like bluneon mentioned, the tranny was without fluid. While you were driving it was "sucking" in air and not circulating fluid, which as you saw all leaked out when you stopped. Hopefully, a band was not seriously damaged (though I doubt it), otherwise the car will be driveable, but you'll lose a gear (or 2).
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe and sorry to hear of this unusual situation you're now in. I have no doubt that the prior owner KNEW of such a potential problem and put a "band-aid" on it in order to sell the car. We here are all very curious as to what the problem is. Have the underside inspected meticulously and look for stripped fittings, newer gasketing, missing fasteners, etc. Something was obviously done to the tranny and was not done properly. Here's hoping for the best for you .............. :)

Not necessarily. If he is in an ocean state or a state that uses road salt, the tranny cooler lines that run from the tranny to the radiator could corrode, causing an issue very similar to what he mentioned. The lines can give way without warning it the corrosion is bad enough.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

tpollauf wrote:I have no doubt that the prior owner KNEW of such a potential problem and put a "band-aid" on it in order to sell the car.
I admit to be a cynic (being an insurance adjuster fosters this kind of attitude) and I suspect this is exactly what happened. But yes, sometimes bad things just happen to good people. Good luck I hope it is an easy fix!
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I thought we'd have an update by now - I hope the op is not suffering from transmission fix sticker shock.