blinking CEL

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
fss106

blinking CEL

Post by fss106 »

got a blinking CEL last night, the car slowly decelerated then the oil late came on, then shut off. i couldn't restart it and got a ride home with the sherrif's dept. i realize i should have just stopped the car immediately.... but i didnt. i was 3 miles away from home and pushed my luck. my question. the dip stick shows there is oil in the car. the car kind of responded like i had run out of gas, but the gas gauge showed 1/2 full. (could the gauge be broken) otherwise the only thing i can figure is it has something to do with the temperature dropping about 40 degrees in 24 hours yesterday and the cold did something to make it misfire. any ideas? i'm headed out there this morning with a gas can, a quart of oil and a tool box.
'03 Vibe GT (manual/6 speed)
fss106

Re: blinking CEL

Post by fss106 »

gave it the ol' college try. a little gas, a little oil, doesn't even turn over-- so i tried jumping it. seems pretty locked up. the brakes don't have any give in them either-- although maybe that happened when i had it in neutral and the sheriff was pushing me to a safe parking spot. calling a tow truck now.

fyi. i've got 167,000 miles. had the clutch replaced 9 months ago. did the spark plugs and the MAF about 3 years ago.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

When the CEL light blinks, that means there's a serious misfire causing gas to be dumped into the catalytic converter. That can damage the cat so badly it needs replacing. You'll probably have to take it to a shop, but you can also look online to see what common causes for a misfire are.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

Like lannvouivre said, a flashing SES light indicates raw fuel being dumped into the catalyst which means damage - if driven like this for too long enough fuel will eventually cause the catalyst material to melt into a solid mass (if this is the case, then it could be the cause of your no start as well due to a plugged exhaust system) - if this is your issue, the converter will need to be replaced, but make sure (I've seen people do this) that the cause for the concern is corrected or you'll end up with the same problem - let us know how it goes :D
JohnO

Post by JohnO »

Your brakes are probably OK. When the engine isn't running there is no source of vacuum for the power brakes. You only get a couple of pushes until the vacuum is gone and your power brakes become manual brakes. So the hard brake pedal is just the extra resistance from the brake boost being gone.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I don't know if a completely blocked exhaust would keep the engine from turning over even just a little bit. I thought a blinking CEL could be caused by other issues as well. Probably easier and cheaper to replace a seized engine instead of repairing it, but not cheap, so best to find out what's really wrong before buying parts.
triz

Post by triz »

I'm surprised no one here asked for the code. That is the best way to figure out what is wrong with the car. Get a cheap OBD reader somewhere. Get the code and post it up.

A flashing CEL can be very serious it can be caused by a misfire, knock.

Advance, Autozone any of those places could pull the code for you as well but the question is, "do you feel lucky?"
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
fss106

Post by fss106 »

apparently the spark plug broke off? totally melted, said I probably had a destroyed cylinder head but won't really know until they start tearing it apart. the shop said it will be a major engine rebuild and advised maybe its time to shop around for a new car. kind of wonder if this is my fault since i'm the one that replaced the spark plugs last. darn my frugality.
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

WOW that's crazy a spark plug broke off I have done my own for years pretty sure it was a faulty plug and not you. Sorry to hear that. might just be easier to buy a used engine and swap it out instead of an rebuild.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

If the plug was "melted down" could mean you were running lean in the cylinder or some other type of failure. Unlikely you are at fault.

I had something like this happen with a set of Autolite plugs. I filed a claim and they paid for the repairs. These high profile Auto Parts companies don't like bad press and will avoid it. What brand plugs?

PS It would be easier/cheaper to replace the engine.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
triz

Post by triz »

1zz or 2zz. I probably wouldn't rebuild a 1zz a 2zz is doable. Did you over torque them?
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only