OCV/VVT valve question

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
lashk

OCV/VVT valve question

Post by lashk »

My son's 2009 Vibe 1.8l has all of a sudden dropped in gas mileage so I did a search and many of you have recommended changing/cleaning the VVT/OCV filters. It sedums most of the threads were for older Vibes and I wanted to make sure my son's car fits this recommendation. Does anyone have the part number (Toyota/Pontiac) for these parts? Thanks
triz

Re: OCV/VVT valve question

Post by triz »

Not sure how much the OCV/VVT has anything to do with gas mileage. I couldn't tell you either where it is on the 2009 Model.

Are you getting any codes? I would try cleaning your TB, MAF and running a bottle of fuel system cleaner such as Amsoils PI Performance Improver or Chevron Techron. How much MPG's are we talking here?
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
455SD

Post by 455SD »

The OCV filter is located in the #1 Cam Cap. You have to unbolt the cap, and filter is located in the bottom side of the cap. The Cam Housing, with caps is a supplied part, with filter already installed. Unless you have signs of deposits forming the the Head cover, I doubt that the OCV filter/screen is the culprit. On the earlier 1ZZ-FE engines, this filter was located behind an external plug, which made access to it fairly simple. This is not the case with the newer 2ZR-FE. I agree with the above post, check that airfilter, and MAF are clean, tire pressure is in spec, and run some Techron, or like fuel injector cleaner throu the tank. With no CEL, it is just not likey that the OCV/VVT setup isn't functioning as designed. How may miles are on it?
I hope this helps, and good luck!
EnvyGreen03
lashk

Post by lashk »

I got under the hood yesterday and found the two valves in question sitting on top of the valve cover. I'll go ahead and pull them just to see what they look like and I'll also check the MAF and air filter. I had already checked tire pressure when I first noticed the gas mileage and ruled that out. To be honest with you, the car seems to run great so that's why I'm kinda stumped. The car has 55k miles on it. I'll try the fuel additive if nothing else seems to work. The mpg drop was from 30 mpg to 25 mpg.
triz

Post by triz »

lashk wrote:I got under the hood yesterday and found the two valves in question sitting on top of the valve cover. I'll go ahead and pull them just to see what they look like and I'll also check the MAF and air filter. I had already checked tire pressure when I first noticed the gas mileage and ruled that out. To be honest with you, the car seems to run great so that's why I'm kinda stumped. The car has 55k miles on it. I'll try the fuel additive if nothing else seems to work. The mpg drop was from 30 mpg to 25 mpg.
You probably won't be able to tell if the MAF is dirty by looking at it. Just buy a can of MAF cleaner and spray it. (carefull using it around the car and or asphalt). A can of throttle body cleaner for the throttle body. There should be a how to on here if not, its not complicated.

Also driving style might have a lot to do with it. I know someone that gets 25mpg on a Prius because he drives it like he stole it.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
jrockrat

Post by jrockrat »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm trying to find the OCV filter on a 2009 vibe with the 2.4. Looking at the engine diagrams I can find it on the 1.8L, but the 2.4 diagram doesn't seem to show it anywhere. Anyone of have a picture or part diagram that shows it's location? Thanks