Dealer replaced 2003 Vibe GT with wrong engine

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
tbeer46

Dealer replaced 2003 Vibe GT with wrong engine

Post by tbeer46 »

I just purchased a 2003 Vibe GT the ad stated:
IT IS EQUIPPED WITH A 4 CYLINDER TOYOTA CELICA GT-S MOTOR AND 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION. Had car checked by mechanic before purchasing.
He didn't notice the incorrect engine because dealer put DOHC 16V cover on engine!
We are still in the process of even finding out what engine it is. All numbers and codes have been removed.
What kind of problems can I expect from this?
Nasmfell

Re: Dealer replaced 2003 Vibe GT with wrong engine

Post by Nasmfell »

To understand correctly, A Celica GTS engine is installed in the Vibe? If this is correct, then there should be no problems, The Vibe GT and Matrix XRS engine is the exact same one from the Toyota Celica GT-S along with 6 speed manual tranny.
vit

Post by vit »

Nasmfell wrote:To understand correctly, A Celica GTS engine is installed in the Vibe? If this is correct, then there should be no problems, The Vibe GT and Matrix XRS engine is the exact same one from the Toyota Celica GT-S along with 6 speed manual tranny.
Yes, in a gen 2, not 1.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

vit wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:To understand correctly, A Celica GTS engine is installed in the Vibe? If this is correct, then there should be no problems, The Vibe GT and Matrix XRS engine is the exact same one from the Toyota Celica GT-S along with 6 speed manual tranny.
Yes, in a gen 2, not 1.
Say what? The 200-2005 Toyota Celica GT-S shares the 2zz-ge engine and C60 6-speed manual transmission with the 2003-2005/6 Pontiac Vibe GT and Toyota Matrix XRS.

The 09/10 Pontiac Vibe GT has the 2.4l engine from the Camry.
vit

Post by vit »

You're right. I got my generations mixed up.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

My understanding of the OP is that the engine is not a 4 CYLINDER TOYOTA CELICA GT-S MOTOR AND 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
He doesn't really know what engine it is. If that is true, then I think the dealer should either take the car back BDrefund the money - or negotiate a financial settlement with the misled buyer.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

jake75 wrote:My understanding of the OP is that the engine is not a 4 CYLINDER TOYOTA CELICA GT-S MOTOR AND 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
He doesn't really know what engine it is. If that is true, then I think the dealer should either take the car back BDrefund the money - or negotiate a financial settlement with the misled buyer.

My bad, I see what the OP was stating, now. OP may be out of luck though, unless he/she had the car checked out before purchase.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Nasmfell wrote:
jake75 wrote:My understanding of the OP is that the engine is not a 4 CYLINDER TOYOTA CELICA GT-S MOTOR AND 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

My bad, I see what the OP was stating, now. OP may be out of luck though, unless he/she had the car checked out before purchase.
OP did have the car checked out before purchase. Unclear where the OP bought it - dealer, used car lot, craigslist seller etc.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

tbeer46 wrote:I just purchased a 2003 Vibe GT the ad stated:
IT IS EQUIPPED WITH A 4 CYLINDER TOYOTA CELICA GT-S MOTOR AND 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION. Had car checked by mechanic before purchasing.
He didn't notice the incorrect engine because dealer put DOHC 16V cover on engine!
We are still in the process of even finding out what engine it is. All numbers and codes have been removed.
What kind of problems can I expect from this?
The 2ZZ is a double overhead cam 16V engine. Does it say VVTL-i or VVT-i on the plastic cover?
Can you post some pictures of the engine? We can help you identify what engine is installed. Does it have an aluminum or plastic intake manifold?
Maybe the codes are scratched out because the engine is stolen?

The kind of problems to expect depend on what engine that is installed, and depend on the ECU (computer used to control fuel/spark). Is the check engine light on?

Edit: If it is actually 2ZZ from a 00+ Corolla GTS, installed in a 1st gen Vibe GT, then it's the right engine.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Take the cover off, and take a pic of the engine and what ever other pics of the engine bay you can. I am sure If I cant tell you what engine you have someone on here can.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jake75

Post by jake75 »

I find it strange that we never heard any response from the original poster.
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

Engine Vin # is 5Y2SL67887Z427608 which GM verified as a 2007 Pontiac Vibe Base Wagon engine, 4CYL, 1.8 L automatic and I verified at Florida VIN check it has 85,870 miles on it! I know the Toyota Celic GT is a comparable engine replacement. I had looked up the specs prior to purchase.
The mechanic (Anthony Baldomero) that installed the incorrect engine went to school with my son's wife. He told my son the engine only had about 900 miles on it. Once the car was home in Michigan, I had it checked by my mechanic due to horrible vibrating at the underside of the right front. He got the VIN off the engine that's when I discovered what type of engine it is. Therefore, bolt patterns don't match, axle shaft wasn't attached to engine block not braced an it popped out of transmission at 70 mph on I-75. 6 bolts were missing to attach transmission to engine, modification was done to attach engine to motor mount because it was attached with only 1 bolt. The check engine light was disabled,
thermostat plug can't be attached, temperature sensor can't be hooked up. Emissions has been tampered with, here's a video from my mechanic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBe7PQjW4xs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

49th St Auto Sales in Clearwater (Majid Akhoondan,Owner and Petr Klapka, salesman) are refusing to compensate me and take this vehicle back. I am in contact with an attorney and all appropriate State Consumer Protection Departments.

I was so looking forward to the OOMPH that comes with this 180hp engine, instead I'm using 6th gear at 45pmh...Bummer
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

:shock:
That's a recipe for disaster if I ever heard one. You're lucky you weren't killed. In my opinion the person(s) responsible deserve jail time for that, but it's probably unlikely. Good luck with the law suit!
Image  Image
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

The reason I hadn't replied previously was because I had been contacting all necessary consumer Departments in Florida.
You aren't the only person that has said I'm lucky I wasn't killed!
I just spoke to 49th St Auto Sales, he got a letter from the Department of Justice & Consumer Services of Pinellas County requesting a
written response to my complaint. It appears we're seeing some progress of a Reimbursement of all my costs. Trying to arrange the logistics, such as getting him the car to Florida after he receives signed title in swap for my cash. I'm not willing to drive this car from Michigan to Florida. He insists it's my responsibility to do so. We'll see how this all plays out.
I'll update, what a nightmare this has been. They should have known better than to mess with someone from the "D" when it comes to cars. Even though I'm a 57 year old female, I'm very savvy when it comes to cars.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

You're doing the right thing to try to get your money back. Just one thing, the 1ZZ and the 2ZZ are both double overhead cam.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Wow...I looked at a car for a friend. It had a miss in the engine and when I hooked up the code reader it had 9 codes but the CEL wasn't on. 2 Lean , O2 sensor, Misfire and the check engine light not working codes. Grab your wallet and RUN!!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Vulcan05

Post by Vulcan05 »

I lived in FloriDUH for 21 years. Almost a third-world nation, and a scam artists dream.
Sure hope everything finally comes together for you. Good luck.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

SeattleJeremy wrote:Just one thing, the 1ZZ and the 2ZZ are both double overhead cam.

Lol, glad someone else caught that too.
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

49th St Auto Sales retained an attorney....Now it's on like Donkey Kong!!!! :lol:
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Yeah, it looked like a 1ZZ-FE engine from the split-second that the intake manifold was visible in the video. Not sure if he says what it is, since my sound is off.

Anyway, the 1ZZ-FE engine is the BASE Vibe / Celica GT engine; the Vibe GT / Celica GT-S is a 2ZZ-GE engine.

Looks like they really screwed that swap up. Who the devil puts a 1ZZ in a Vibe GT, anyway?
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

WOW.... biggest automotive nightmare ive seen in like....EVER!
Looks like they really screwed that swap up. Who the devil puts a 1ZZ in a Vibe GT, anyway?
Someone who doesnt know jack!!! They probably figured, "Welp Cooter, go down to the yard and get that vibe motor we saw last week" "What's that Cleetus??? It dont fit right? MAKE it fit right!!!"

was probably how the conversation went.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

creekhed1 wrote:WOW.... biggest automotive nightmare ive seen in like....EVER!
Someone who doesnt know jack!!! They probably figured, "Welp Cooter, go down to the yard and get that vibe motor we saw last week" "What's that Cleetus??? It dont fit right? MAKE it fit right!!!"

was probably how the conversation went.
"Therr outta the same car, right? Well why don it work!?"

Hopefully you'll get thsi resolved, and be able to find a proper Vibe GT with the 2zz engine.
jamesmetairie

Post by jamesmetairie »

tbeer46 wrote:The reason I hadn't replied previously was because I had been contacting all necessary consumer Departments in Florida.
You aren't the only person that has said I'm lucky I wasn't killed!
I just spoke to 49th St Auto Sales, he got a letter from the Department of Justice & Consumer Services of Pinellas County requesting a
written response to my complaint. It appears we're seeing some progress of a Reimbursement of all my costs. Trying to arrange the logistics, such as getting him the car to Florida after he receives signed title in swap for my cash. I'm not willing to drive this car from Michigan to Florida. He insists it's my responsibility to do so. We'll see how this all plays out.
I'll update, what a nightmare this has been. They should have known better than to mess with someone from the "D" when it comes to cars. Even though I'm a 57 year old female, I'm very savvy when it comes to cars.
you outghta sue the dealer for causing you undue stress.
he says it,s your job to drive an unsafe car back to florida.

that car can be transported on a trailer.

if the dealer had any sense he would just pay you and junk it and get the deal finished.
seems like the florida state police would be interested why the engine had some i.d. #,s removed.
also the fbi has somekind of theft division that may be concerned.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tbeer46 wrote:49th St Auto Sales retained an attorney....Now it's on like Donkey Kong!!!! :lol:
:lol: Get 'em girl!

This whole story is such a bunch of cr@p! Best of luck getting it resolved in your favor and hopefully this won't deter you from wanting another Vibe because they are great little vehicles (when they have the proper engine installed safely that is).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

So...... you won?
Tight is tight, too tight is broke.
EricTMah

Post by EricTMah »

First time reading this thread. And all i have to say is WOW!!!

Glad to hear you're not letting the dealer get away with this. Too many people think they can pull a fast one and the victim won't follow up on it!

Hope everything works out for you. And I sure hope the dealer gets enough bad publicity that it'll hurt their business.
triz

Post by triz »

I'm semi-local to that place. I can definitely tell you that is a 1zz motor in that car. You should have 2 extra wires laying around that wont hook up to the motor. I believe your mechanic had one of them incorrectly labeled. The one he was holding was for the OCV/Lift. The other I couldn't tell but I'm pretty sure it has to do also with the lift engagement.

Ask him to look at the ECU, as most likely the ECU is incorrect as well.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

This has been a nightmare from..."HE double hockey sticks"!!! They ought to be hopin' they get this, as they call it "unfortunate situation" taken care of before I move down there. It'll be their biggest nightmare, if I'm driving distance to them. I currently have an attorney looking over my documentation. Because of the wrong engine, I'm running at 3500 RPM's in 6th gear going 70 mph. Not the safest if I'm in a rain storm. He told the investigator from the Bureau of Motorist Services Support, Florida Division of Motorist Services that I came to Michigan and my mechanic put the wrong engine in it and I'm trying to get him to pay for it.
Right, I'm 57 yrs old, just unemployed, voluntarily returned my 2012 Chevy Sonic back to the credit union. Pulled the last $4000 out of my 401K, flew to Florida to buy this car. Drove it back to Michigan, bought an engine, had my mechanic install the wrong engine. Then, I contacted him because it was the wrong engine....and I'm only asking for my expenses incurred plus the cost of the vehicle totaling $5983.76. Come On does that even sound believable??????
Will keep you all updated and thanks for so much feedback. Again, the video is on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBe7PQjW4xs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

Wow, this is really dragging out.

Wonder if it would help if you could find any other unsatisfied customers?
Tight is tight, too tight is broke.
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

Good idea Ken. I'll work on that today. I've seen at least 2 more on the web.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

tbeer46 wrote:Good idea Ken. I'll work on that today. I've seen at least 2 more on the web.
Better Business Bureau; Angie's List (if in that area); AG's Office; Some court sites have civil cases listed.
Last edited by jake75 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

tbeer46 wrote:Because of the wrong engine, I'm running at 3500 RPM's in 6th gear going 70 mph.
Wouldn't that be true with the right engine?
The American 6-speeds are geared for high revving since the 2zz redlines at 8400rpm.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

circuitsmith wrote:
tbeer46 wrote:Because of the wrong engine, I'm running at 3500 RPM's in 6th gear going 70 mph.
The American 6-speeds are geared for high revving since the 2zz redlines at 8400rpm.
That seems unlikely. I can't imagine that a car like the Vibe would be hitting 3500 RPMs at highway speed in its top gear, especially in a 6 speed tranny.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

kumquat wrote:
circuitsmith wrote:
That seems unlikely. I can't imagine that a car like the Vibe would be hitting 3500 RPMs at highway speed in its top gear, especially in a 6 speed tranny.
From what I've read the mph/rpm sounds right. The final drive ratio on the 6-speed is 4.53, vs 5-speed 3.94. This is why a 5-speed car at 70mph is around 2800rpm and a 6-speed car is at 3500.

This is also why when people replace their failed 5-speeds with 6-speeds their gas mileage goes down 3 or more mpg.
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

Update: Meeting scheduled between Pinellas County Dept. of Justice & Consumer Services and myself a
nd 49th St Auto Sales and their Attorney on Nov. 22nd @ 10 am. Wish me Luck!
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Good luck! Hope it went well :)
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

Had to go to the shop again yesterday. The fabrication the mechanic had made to attach the axle to the frame didn't hold. He had no choice but to weld it to the frame this time. Also, because it's missing 6 bolts attaching the transmission to the engine he said transmission fluid is puddling at the bottom of engine. (bolt patterns don't match up because of wrong engine) Not sure it's gonna make it for my move to Florida on Nov 11th. Driving it as little as possible until I leave!
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

I believe Amtrak has car carrier trains that go to Florida, You may want to check that option. Leaking transmission fluid could be a very bad sign with the mismatched engine. I wouldn't chance it to Florida. I was thinking your meeting was Oct. 22. Keep us posted and good luck!
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

I just checked on the Amtrak Auto Train, it's $432 for me and my vehicle. A bit out of my budget but Thanks for mentioning it.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

tbeer46 wrote:I just checked on the Amtrak Auto Train, it's $432 for me and my vehicle. A bit out of my budget but Thanks for mentioning it.
It's not free to drive.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

tbeer46 wrote:I just checked on the Amtrak Auto Train, it's $432 for me and my vehicle. A bit out of my budget but Thanks for mentioning it.
I agree with jake. It's going to cost you over $100 in fuel, plus adding the other fluids the car is leaking.

How quickly is it losing transmission oil? Is it possible to add the bolts and stop the leaking?
tbeer46 wrote:Not sure it's gonna make it for my move to Florida on Nov 11th. Driving it as little as possible until I leave!
This is a red flag, it doesn't sound safe to drive, let alone drive it 1000+ miles.
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

Meeting tomorrow morning 10am with 49th St. Auto Sales, their attorney and the Pinnellas County Consumers Protection mediator!
Wish me Luck!
I'll let you all know what happens
Thanks Terry
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Good luck! Hope all goes well
Zvibe2004

Post by Zvibe2004 »

if its a 1ZZ in a vibe gt with the C60 6 speed trans, itll bolt right up and not leak a drop unless theres a bad seal somewhere. i know this bc i swapped a 2004 auto base vibe to 6 speed, bolted right up. it sounds like some of the info here is incorrect to me, bc the 5 and 6 speed transaxles will bolt up to both the 1ZZ-FE and the 2ZZ-GE just fine. that and the claimed RPM at 70 wouldnt be right unless the tires are smaller than stock, bc i run 3,200 RPM at 70 with what supposedly is the same engine and trans the problem vibe has
2004 Base Vibe, 134,000 on the clock and still tickin'
born automatic, NOT ANYMORE!!! it's a 6 speed now!! :D
its gonna be a mean vibe someday, to about the tune of 350-400 whp ;)
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Zvibe2004 wrote:if its a 1ZZ in a vibe gt with the C60 6 speed trans, itll bolt right up and not leak a drop unless theres a bad seal somewhere. i know this bc i swapped a 2004 auto base vibe to 6 speed, bolted right up. it sounds like some of the info here is incorrect to me, bc the 5 and 6 speed transaxles will bolt up to both the 1ZZ-FE and the 2ZZ-GE just fine. that and the claimed RPM at 70 wouldnt be right unless the tires are smaller than stock, bc i run 3,200 RPM at 70 with what supposedly is the same engine and trans the problem vibe has
The only way the RPM's would be different is if the C60 were a JSPEC with the 3.94 FDR. Then it is actually lower RPM than the C59 at 60MPH by a few hundred (IIRC 2300 vs. 2800-ish).
NMR Guy

Post by NMR Guy »

Update? What happened? Hope you stuck it to them.
NMR Guy

Post by NMR Guy »

Well, I guess we'll never know what happened. I hope everything worked out.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I think at a minimum it is very rude of Tbeer46 not to report the final outcome. Somehow I think we may not have all the facts.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

It's a common issue with just about every forum. We get somebody new they are have some car issues, people help them then we never here back if it gets resolved or how. Which is very good information for the next person. That's why I make an effort to post on threads thanking people for posting the results. Not saying tbeer won't be back, just it's a common problem.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

Final Outcome: Due to confidentiality I can only say I have a new car no longer own Pontiac Vibe. Sorry, wanted to update, wasn't sure how to notify without compromising confidentiality agreement.
Thanks for all advice and support!