Dealer replaced 2003 Vibe GT with wrong engine

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Salsa Guy

Re: Dealer replaced 2003 Vibe GT with wrong engine

Post by Salsa Guy »

Thanks! Hope it worked out well for you.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

tbeer46 wrote:Final Outcome: Due to confidentiality I can only say I have a new car no longer own Pontiac Vibe. Sorry, wanted to update, wasn't sure how to notify without compromising confidentiality agreement.
Thanks for all advice and support!

Congratulations, Glad you got it worked out. Though interesting, that there would be a confidentiality agreement on a car and brand that is no longer being manufactured a used one at that.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Glad you got it worked out. Hope your new car is as cool as a Vibe GT :)
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
jake75

Post by jake75 »

SeattleJeremy wrote:Glad you got it worked out. Hope your new car is as cool as a Vibe GT :)
A confidentiality clause is common in any settlement agreement.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
lobi

Post by lobi »

Sorry to bring up old post but came across this and wanted to say what others might have been thinking.
This story stinks! Kinda like listening to both sides of the story from two kids fighting, both stories are always waaay different.
Also, way too many holes and inconsistencies to be credible. We all know old used cars are bought "as is". I'll bet a dollar to a donut that she signed off (in more than one place) that she was buying as is. Also, just as likely, refused the expensive warranty that was offered, even pushed, at time of sale. Bold type indicates exact quotes from beer (op)...

All numbers and codes have been removed. I highly doubt it. Even shady mechanics wouldn't bother to grind the 2ZZ (or 1ZZ) off the end of the block. beer and her mechanic didn't likely know where the stamping was.
just purchased a 2003 Vibe GT the ad stated:
IT IS EQUIPPED WITH A 4 CYLINDER TOYOTA CELICA GT-S MOTOR AND 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION.
She was knowingly buying a old car that stated right in the advertisement that it already was hacked with the non original motor.
Had car checked by mechanic before purchasing Really? He didn't bother to hook up a scanner to look for any engine codes? Would have revealed the inop check engine light huh.
Therefore, bolt patterns don't match, axle shaft wasn't attached to engine block not braced an it popped out of transmission at 70 mph The passenger cv axle on the 2zz motors has a carrier bearing bolted to the block, 1zz does not. If the 2zz axle was left in the car and a 1zz engine was installed there would be no bracket on the block to bolt the carrier bearing to and it would pop out as there is no clip on the end of the 2zz passenger axle needed because of the carrier bearing bracket. This further indicates a 1zz engine installed into a gt.
6 bolts were missing to attach transmission to engine, There are only 8 bolts total from bellhousing to block. 2 of them also hold the starter motor in place. Not saying this didn't happen but hard to imagine all 6 of the rest were skipped even by the most sloppy lazy shade tree mechanic. Some are very easy to get at and install. I could see a slob skipping a hard one but not all of them.
The check engine light was disabled Buyer beware on 10 year old car from shady second hand car lot. When you cycle the key on just before start (if you are savvy), the check engine light will illuminate as a bulb test. Don't see it? Question it or don't buy it.
thermostat plug can't be attached, temperature sensor can't be hooked up. Easily fixed by swapping the 2007 coolant temp sensor with the one for a 2003 (which is what the car, and thus the wiring harness, was.). The plug on the wiring harness changed later but location of sensor remained the same.
Her mechanics video No value. He doesn't know a single overhead cam engine from a dohc engine. Both the 1zz and the 2zz engines were dohc and the engine pictured in video was a dohc without question.
They should have known better than to mess with someone from the "D" when it comes to cars. Even though I'm a 57 year old female, I'm very savvy when it comes to cars. So savvy that she voluntary repos her current car, flies to Florida from the "D" with her nest egg and uses her savvy to purchase a known hacked pos from a questionable budget lot. Lots of Vibes here in Michigan.
just unemployed, voluntarily returned my 2012 Chevy Sonic back to the credit union. Pulled the last $4000 out of my 401K, flew to Florida to buy this car. Drove it back to Michigan, bought an engine, had my mechanic install the wrong engine. Wait, What?? I thought Florida dealer put the wrong engine in. Now you say you drove it back to Michigan and had "your" mechanic put the wrong engine in. Which is it?
because it's missing 6 bolts attaching the transmission to the engine he said transmission fluid is puddling at the bottom of engine. Waaat? Your mechanic is continuing to let you drive it around with only 2 bolts holding the transmission and engine together? Right! Still wouldn't cause "transmission fluid" (gear lube) to leak.

Due to confidentiality I can only say I have a new car no longer own Pontiac Vibe Translation: I'm too embarrassed to say what a fool their attorney made out of me and how little the mediator awarded me for a car I bought "as is". I'll even dare to say that the problems with this car could, maybe, just possibly, be "enhanced" to make the selling dealer look worse thus aiding in lawsuit.
Typical example of a "entitlement demanding" American that wants others to be responsible for their mistakes and jumps to frivolous law-suit to try and make someone else pay.
These are just my impressions from reading the entire post and realize I'm setting myself for criticism. I just smell buyer remorse (or mistake) gone bad and looking for a scapegoat.
I spent most of my life hunting and fishing, the rest I just wasted.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

lobi wrote: Typical example of a "entitlement demanding" American ...
... realize I'm setting myself for criticism.
I agree with almost all you said except I resent my countrymen being stereotyped as "entitlement demanding". Sure there are some that the term fits, but I don't think it is typical for Americans. It may be true that the quoted characterization applies to this one individual, but I am not ready to jump to that conclusion based on the information provided. Can't tell what really happened from what's in this thread

I didn't notice this thread when it was active a year ago, but regardless of who did what, there are lessons for the used car buyer, a lot of examples of what not to do.
lobi

Post by lobi »

jotman, nice response and well said. I'm a bit of a patriot myself and didn't want this to sound demeaning to Americans in general. I agree with you and hope there are enough "Americans" left in this country for its survival. I didn't say the masses were entitlement seeking but rather said that this was a[n] example of such a person. This mentality is taught by liberalism, they want a dependent society because it gives them control. Sadly, this dangerous type of thinking is growing. This has quickly gotten too political and I'll bow out. I just called it as I saw it.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

You make assumptions that I don't. I think the OP could have found a better Vibe, but she bought this one. The dealer said it had its engine replaced with another 2ZZ, but it turned out to be a 1ZZ, which is either incompetent or a deliberate misrepresentation. The mechanic in the video shows some things not quite right with the engine install, but calling the 1ZZ a single cam engine makes his expertise questionable. Still, he is likely the one giving the OP technical advice on the condition of the car. Granted, a lot of the OP's recounting of things is confusing and at times contradictory, but that could be just that not everyone has the unambiguously eloquent communication skills that I do ;)

We don't know what terms, conditions, information and advice the OP used to choose this car, but upon realizing her mistake, she came here and people tried to help her. Good for genvibe.

I just don't see where there enough evidence to assert that the OP is "entitlement demanding"

I recently bought a used Tacoma, I believe the used car dealership deliberately tried to hide a P0420 CEL. I challenged them on my scangauge's "not ready" status before I bought the truck, and they gave me what in hindsight was only an almost plausible explanation. CEL came back shortly after I bought it, and it took me a lot of standing up for my rights, but they fixed it on their dime. I don't see myself as "entitlement demanding" but I think they tried to pull one over one me, and I didn't let them get away with it. Along the lines of "People can't walk all over you if you don't lie down for it first"
lobi wrote: This mentality is taught by liberalism, they want a dependent society because it gives them control. Sadly, this dangerous type of thinking is growing.
I think your strong political convictions color your perception. Liberalism, conservatism, pretty much any ism can be used to control people, the stronger the people's bias, the easier they are to control. Once they get you to see everything with their preferred bias, then they win, they've got you. Got to keep an open mind.

But maybe not. I might be right, I might be wrong. But I think yours and/or my perception of the OP could be radically different if we actually got to know her. My point is there is not enough information in this thread to make a reliable assessment.
lobi

Post by lobi »

Wow, what a difference a day or two can make.
Two days ago.. "I agree with almost all you said except I resent my countrymen being.."
Today.. "You make assumptions that I don't."
One day you support my observations and the next you seemingly jump sides to defend a story full of holes, inconsistencies and 2 completely inept mechanics used by the op for support. The op came here to look for support in her case against the car dealer. I don't think this is the place, we are not in the position to administer legal advice. If I was the attorney for the selling dealer I would have had a ball with this as well as used this string of posts by the op as part of my defense.

Here is a couple more of her inconsistencies: I know the Toyota Celic GT is a comparable engine replacement. I had looked up the specs prior to purchase. Good research, not. The Celica GT-S (2ZZ) would be a comparable replacement engine for the Vibe GT you were buying. Base Vibe and Celica GT both had the 1ZZ. She knew what she was buying in a GT.. I was so looking forward to the OOMPH that comes with this 180hp engine. How was the oomph on your test drive with that 130hp 1zz engine? We are still in the process of even finding out what engine it is. All numbers and codes have been removed. Ooh, maybe a crime has been committed here! But then, oops, they re-appeared, Engine Vin # is 5Y2SL67887Z427608 which GM verified as a 2007 Pontiac Vibe Base Wagon engine

More than a month after bringing it home her mechanic is welding some fabrication to the frame to hold an axle in? Seriously? Meanwhile, he is still allowing her to drive it with only 2 bolts holding the transmission to the engine? Really? B.S.
She had a mechanic in Florida check the car out before she bought it? What did he do, see a little oil on the dipstick and give it a clean bill of health? This thing would have had a plethora of codes stored in the ecu, even sans check light bulb. There is the person she might have a suite against as well as her own mechanic. I'm not trying to defend the used car dealer here as I'm confident they are less than pillars of society. There is however, much "as is" and "no warranty" paperwork in the used car business and the op seemingly chose not to admit to signing such documentation as it would go against her case, if that was the situation. Better to make her problems and choices someones fault and sue.
Why do you think that 90% of the attorneys in the world are in the United States? Buy hot coffee, spill it on yourself, sue the seller, win money! Break into someones home to steal from them, cut yourself on the broken glass of the window you just smashed, sue homeowner and his insurance company, win money! That's why. Frivolous lawsuits cost all of us a lot of money.

It was certainly a big mistake on my part to add anything remotely political to my original post. It opens up arguments where no one really wins and taints the general spirit of this board. Wrong place, and for that I apologize.

joatman, it wasn't my intention to be inflammatory or argumentative. I'm sorry if I have offended you. We can't rewrite history or help anyone involved in the original situation from this posting. I merely was pointing out some things I saw that the other posters did not mention.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I still agree with most of what you've said, except for the "entitlement deserving" stuff, then you came back with the liberalism ruining the country stuff. I guess all I was trying to do with my second post is to say that there are many sides to a story and the way this one was presented make it really hard to know the facts. Without knowing the OP and what really happened, I think it unfair to jump to your conclusions. I agree that the story is inconsistent (parts of it make me cringe), but I reserve my right to keep an open mind on the motives of the OP.
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

Here we go again. Dealer refunded only purchase price at mediation completion. I then signed title back to him. He has never transferred title back to his dealership! Guess what? He's trying to sell the car again! On one website it states Engine Unknown (Unspecified) Visiting DMV in Florida tomorrow (since I live here now) Have again requested form to make another consumer complaint. Also, will be requesting duplicate title from Michigan, since it is still titled in my name. Will update tomorrow. The saga continues.
http://www.dealersearch.com/cars-for-sa ... ksville-fl
http://www.49thstreetautosales.com/view ... arwater-FL
Last edited by tbeer46 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

WOW ... this is going on almost FOUR years! This could make for an episode of 48 hours or one of those other detective shows :o Curios to know a final outcome IF there ever is one! Did this Vibe get driven much since it got back to the dealer 3.5 years ago???
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
tbeer46

Post by tbeer46 »

I don't believe so. In Florida vehicles over 10 years old are exempt from mileage reporting on titles. I know when I purchased vehicle on 7/27/2013 it had 144660 miles on odometer. I drove the vehicle to Michigan and back to Florida which is approx. 2500 miles. Plus, casual driving at home for 3 months. Dealer now states mileage to be 149109. So it appears someone other than myself put additional miles since returning vehicle. My concern is for a person who may fall victim to this man selling a death trap. As a result of the incorrect engine being put in the car the emissions controls, temperature sensors and engine warning sensors can't be connected. I was told to contact the Dept. Of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. That's tomorrow