Noob needs engine replacement advice.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
steveu812

Noob needs engine replacement advice.

Post by steveu812 »

My neighbor knows I work on cars so when their '05 Vibe locked up they gave it to me. It's a well optioned car, body and interior are in graet shape and I have 3 driving age kids it would do well for. I did some diagnosis last night and it is indeed locked up - can't turn the crank at the crank bolt even with a breaker bar. Removed the plugs and #1 was heavily oil fouled (chunks of oil scunge) but the rest were fine. Can't easily do leakdown test as #1 exhaust valve it open and can't turn the motor. Removed the value cover and it looked nasty - chunks of oil caked everwhere that doesn't move. as if the oil hadn't been changed regularly. The sticker on the engine reads N1ZZ-E85ZN, (eighth vin digit = 8) car is automatic and front wheel drive. Here are my immediate questions.

In looking for motor do I need to be concerned that most engines I see are 1ZZ-FE instead of 1ZZ-E85?
Also, are there any differences between std. and auto, trans. engines?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can offer.
pic 028.jpg
pic 028.jpg (101.71 KiB) Viewed 2129 times
triz

Re: Noob needs engine replacement advice.

Post by triz »

I believe it to be a normal 1zz. The E85Z means that its also tuned to use E85. As far as the engine standard vs automatic that should only have to do with the transmission and ecu of the vehicle.

I'm not 100% on this. My goodness that looks horrible but not the worse I have seen. Make sure you put them on to using synthetic oil in the future and changing it out every 8-10k miles. You have your work cut out for you.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

It must have gotten HOT....really hot. What year and model?
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

Holy muck muck. Did they ever change the oil or just kept adding it.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

How did they do THAT? Wow!
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
steveu812

Post by steveu812 »

Salsa Guy wrote:It must have gotten HOT....really hot. What year and model?
It's a 2005 2WD. The rest of the car is in nice shape and it's loaded options wise. Neighbor also gave me some oil that was Pennzoil - dinosaur type - so I suspect that and poor change intervals was the cause. I've smelled burned,and it didn't smell burned though.
zythr

Post by zythr »

steveu812 wrote:
Salsa Guy wrote:It must have gotten HOT....really hot. What year and model?
It's a 2005 2WD. The rest of the car is in nice shape and it's loaded options wise. Neighbor also gave me some oil that was Pennzoil - dinosaur type - so I suspect that and poor change intervals was the cause. I've smelled burned,and it didn't smell burned though.

..even Navigation?