What parts for a "clutch replacement"?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
21Rouge

What parts for a "clutch replacement"?

Post by 21Rouge »

We are the original owners of a 2005 1.8L Vibe. It just passed the 130 000 km mark (80k miles) and it does need a clutch replacement. I am just starting to get some cost estimates on such work and they vary greatly...from $1700 + tax at a GM dealership to less than half that at independent garages. I guess to compare 'apples with apples' I need to make sure that all the related parts will be replaced. Is there a list of such items that really should be replaced when doing a proper clutch replacement e.g. pressure plate, throw out bearing etc.

(As I recall many years ago there was a Matrix member aka "Mikesmatrix" that was a Toyota mechanic in the GTorontoArea that did such jobs on the side. Do any Toronto members know if he is still around doing such work?)
joatmon

Re: What parts for a "clutch replacement"?

Post by joatmon »

21Rouge wrote:We are the original owners of a 2005 1.8L Vibe. It just passed the 130 000 km mark (80k miles) and it does need a clutch replacement. I am just starting to get some cost estimates on such work and they vary greatly...from $1700 + tax at a GM dealership to less than half that at independent garages. I guess to compare 'apples with apples' I need to make sure that all the related parts will be replaced. Is there a list of such items that really should be replaced when doing a proper clutch replacement e.g. pressure plate, throw out bearing etc.

(As I recall many years ago there was a Matrix member aka "Mikesmatrix" that was a Toyota mechanic in the GTorontoArea that did such jobs on the side. Do any Toronto members know if he is still around doing such work?)
you want to make sure they replace the throwout bearing. Pressure plate should be ok. They may want to resurface the flywheel, depending on how it looks. Some say they should use new bolts to reattach the flywheel to the crank. 130K seems low for needing a clutch replacement, but I can see it if you do a lot of city driving.

I'd recommend a small tranny shop over a dealership, but either way the problem is finding one you can trust. $1700 seems a bit high.
21Rouge

Post by 21Rouge »

joatmon wrote:you want to make sure they replace the throwout bearing. Pressure plate should be ok. They may want to resurface the flywheel, depending on how it looks. Some say they should use new bolts to reattach the flywheel to the crank.
Thanks for this. I will be sure to ask for this so that each quote is comparable.
joatmon wrote:130K seems low for needing a clutch replacement, but I can see it if you do a lot of city driving.
3 drivers share this car and much of the driving is short tripping, town and city so 8 years and 80000 miles is not really out of line.

joatmon wrote:I'd recommend a small tranny shop over a dealership, but either way the problem is finding one you can trust.
Yes that is always the issue...especially for the larger jobs. Any GTorontoArea genvibe members know of such a place?
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

If you plan on keeping the car for more than a year or so, replace ALL the wear parts associated with the clutch! Clutch disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing AND flywheel.
Some mechanics will give you reasons NOT to do this - They want to see you again, and soon!
Been there, got burned!
chiadog
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Mikes_matrix still does some stuff on the side

I'd get an aftermarket (mild performance) clutch like exedy. My vibe GT has an OEM replacement but I don't have much confidence in its lifespan. (Previous owner had it replaced by 90000km when I bought it)

Replace the flywheel bolts with arp bolts from monkeywrench racing...as cheap or cheaper than OEM. Flywheel bolts are torque yeild so shouldn't be reused

I'd put a light flywheel in too, but that's my preference.

Edit:
Actually, he said to text him at six four seven -76zero-368six