1ZZFE to 2ZZGE?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ShadowSnF

1ZZFE to 2ZZGE?

Post by ShadowSnF »

Hello there GenVibe! I'm new here, and come from the land of Neons.org lol

I have a base 2004 Shadow 1ZZFE with the Sun and Fun package, and a 5 speed.
Just bought it about a month ago, and love the car already!
Outfitted it with a new stereo, amp and subwoofer, and red interior accent lights (to match the dash and panel lights!)

I have a vast amount of experience modding Neons, and did a few SOHC to DOHC swaps, as well as a 2.0L to 2.4L engine swap.
I've seen that the GT and base models have different heads, and was wondering if:
1. It's just the heads that are different, and are they a "direct" swap?
a) If it's only the heads that are different, will the same ECU work?
2. If it's the engines themselves that are different, how easy are they to swap?
a) Will a 1ZZFE ECU work in a 2ZZGE?

Any input is appreciated, and if there is already a useful post about this please point me to it! I've taken to the suggested mod list on this forum to map out my future purchases. Though I wonder how the Cosmo SRI compares to the K&N SRI?

Thanks!
K&N Typhoon SRI, DC Sports Header, Bosal Sports Muffler, Six-Speed Swap, Canuck Lowering Springs, 17x7.5 Black Six Spoke Wheels, Two-Tone Paint, LED Interior Accents

Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting...
joatmon

Re: 1ZZFE to 2ZZGE?

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe

I don't know if there are differences between the 1zz and 2zz but I'd think there are. The 2zz needs higher octane, I'd assume from higher compression, not sure you'd really get that with just heads. Also, there were a number of 2zz's wasted from underdrive pulleys taking out the oil pump. That may have been a specific pulley without a harmonic balancer, but nobody's reported a pulley related 1zz engine wastage. The 1ZZ and 2ZZ supposed to be externally compatible, same mounts, and people have put the GT 6 speeds on 1ZZs, so the engine tranny mounting/coupling is identical between the two engines.

I'd think the ECU is different for 1zz and 2zz, the 1zz ecu doesn't have to worry about lift but won't swear they are different.

The 03, and probably 04, 5-speeds were prone to bearing failures, I had two of them fail on me. I'd worry about putting the 2zz's extra power into the 5 speed. Also, the GT's 6 speed has less difference in successive gears than the 5 speed, which makes it easier to shift up through the range and still keep it in lift.

I don't know, I understand the fun of doing such mods to a car, but by the time you put the time and money into the engine, the tranny, the ECU, etc, might be better to sell the base and buy a used GT instead.

From what I remember of people's posting about the different SRIs, seemed the main difference was price.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

The 1zz and 2zz Engines and Transmissions are direct swaps. The ECUs are different and you want a 03 Matrix/Vibe ECU they have a lower LIFT point and 04 Matrix/Vibe will work. I believe the Wiring Harness for the 03-04 1zz/2zz are very similar but not sure completely compatible. However it maybe workable.

Check out Matrixowners.com there are some guys that are knowledgeable about swaps.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
ShadowSnF

Post by ShadowSnF »

Thanks for the help guys! :D
K&N Typhoon SRI, DC Sports Header, Bosal Sports Muffler, Six-Speed Swap, Canuck Lowering Springs, 17x7.5 Black Six Spoke Wheels, Two-Tone Paint, LED Interior Accents

mac99d

Post by mac99d »

They are both 1.8 But the bore and cranks are different as well as the head.

The 1ZZ-FE. Bore is 79 mm and stroke is 91.5 mm
The 2ZZ-GE Bore is 82 mm and stroke is 85 mm Better for higher RPM.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ShadowSnF

Post by ShadowSnF »

Ok! So if I ever decided to change mine to a 2ZZ, it'd be a complete engine swap, rather than a head swap. Thanks!
I am very used to the neons, which to change it from a SOHC to a DOHC you could literally swap out the heads and it was all fine and dandy. Sometimes running a SOHC ECU on a DOHC netted better performance, but it all depended on the car.

Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

With the work involved the swap is easier. Also MO is down so you can check in with those guys
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

You can check this out. Monkey Wrench Racing /MWR/ can fix you up if your ever ready.

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/advan ... 233&y=-693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Engines are completely different and so are the ECUs

And you wont want a 5 speed with a 2zz unless you go turbo

monkeywrench racing has swap kits now...see what they include