whats your oil pressure ?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
revstohigh

whats your oil pressure ?

Post by revstohigh »

hey guys just put in an oil pressure gauge , and the pressure at idle or low rpm on the down shifts is really low !
the highest it idles is 23is but it dips to under 10 psi sometimes at idle !!!!!!
no leaks at all and im getting this pressure at the filter housing i got the greddy kit
and the gauge goes up over 90 psi sometimes when driving fast so the gauge is calibrated fine
my question is for anyone with a 2zz and an oil pressure gauge , what is your (warmed up) idle psi ?
if everyone else is down around 10 ill leave it alone otherwise im loosing sleep lol
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
Chiadog

Re: whats your oil pressure ?

Post by Chiadog »

Hey Revs!
I don't have an oil pressure gauge on my 05 Vibe (thank God). Looking at oil pressure gauges can drive you nuts. From what I've heard, oil PRESSURE does not protect your engine. The oil itself keeps moving parts from contacting each other. Oil pressure just ensures the oil is being distributed to the critical areas. I think oil idiot lights come on at about 3 psi. So, if you have no unusual engine noise or other problems, don't worry - be happy! The gauge in my 96 Chev K1500 runs between 18 lbs. @ idle - 40 lbs above 1100 rpm or so.
What made you install the gauge?
chiadog
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

yea the idiot light dosnt come on so i figured i was safe rule of thumb is usually 10 psi per 1000 rpm .....
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
TreFatKids

Post by TreFatKids »

I wanna install one, any help for doing so?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

TreFatKids wrote:I wanna install one, any help for doing so?
Why's that?

Also, the idiot light likes to come on when it's too late, like when a quick lube employee forgot to add the oil and you're in an intersection.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

lannvouivre wrote:Also, the idiot light likes to come on when it's too late, like when a quick lube employee forgot to add the oil and you're in an intersection.
F T S <- I'm sure you can figure that out. Even though I trusted my oil change place (friend from highschool worked) I inevitably started just doing it myself to save a few bucks and KNOW its done.