03's - 05's How's Your Manual Transmission doing?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Rambovanvo

03's - 05's How's Your Manual Transmission doing?

Post by Rambovanvo »

Been doing research and the 2003-2005 don't have the greatest transmission built into them. I was wondering if very few encounter this transmission failure. Please let me know how many KM's you have on your vibe and state if your transmission is still strong and healthy or the opposite :) thanks! Oh and most of the failure is due to weak bearings that are plastic instead of metal?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section :)
vibolista

Re: 03's - 05's How's Your Manual Transmission doing?

Post by vibolista »

2 Vibes in family... one healthy 5 speed (2008) and one that now pops out of 5th gear (2005), but that started to happen immediately after a fairly good bump from behind by another car.

Believe that the bearing in question is cradled in a very robust fiber plastic type material that tends to hold up quite well. The material also is not as prone to damage, since it doesn't heat up as much under load. Not sure that this perceived weak point in the Vibe manual transmission has been found completely guilty in cause of failures.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

2003 5-speed with original transmission
151K Miles or 243K KM
Change fluid 3x with redline mt-90
I am only the 2nd owner and do drive it very easily.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
Rambovanvo

Post by Rambovanvo »

2004 Vibe
Mines at 176k Original Transmission. I hope mine will reach 260k atleast ; ).
It still runs really smooth.
Tommychu

Post by Tommychu »

04 5spd, 140000km. PO didn't know how to drive stick properly, so the 2nd gear synchro has been fussy since I got it. Otherwise no issues, and I drive like Ricky Bobby so if there was one I'd have found it by now.
"I like to think GM is sort of like the USSR-In economic terms, an unprecedented catastrophe spanning multiple decades that brought misery to millions, but sometimes they made some nifty vehicles that we just love to post about on the internet."
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

My trans is fine now that I swapped out the 5 speed for a 6 speed in my 03 base. 8-) Started getting the loud bearing noise that most 5 speeds get at ~90k miles. Do some thread searching on here and you will see alot of 5 speed owners complaining about this. Seems Toyota thought it was a great idea to make a bearing race out of a non-metal material. Thought about rebuilding the 5 speed but there were not any replacement bearings other than the OEM ones so I opted to buy a used Corolla 6 speed with ~50k miles and throw a new aftermarket Stage 2 clutch in it since I heard the 6 speeds had issues with burnt clutches at ~100k miles but that had a lot to do with the fact the the 2zz motor has a bit more hp.
2003 base model
ChuckstrPT

Post by ChuckstrPT »

'05 GT, 150k, 3rd has crunched for some time, otherwise no issues. It's not driven gently, but not abused. :D
05 GT, Abyss Black, all tarted up...
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

03 6 speed
hard to get it in first and revers also can't jam 2nd over 6k rpm
But other than that its pretty smooth
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

revstohigh wrote:....also can't jam 2nd over 6k rpm
:shock:
2003 base model
maaadtrip

Post by maaadtrip »

2003 GT - The 6 speed is still going strong. I changed the fluid with the recommended 75/90 synthetic at about 275 000 km and the stuff that came out was like black water with plenty of little nasties in it. I got the car around 260 000 km a year ago and I've never had trouble. First and reverse are a bit tough to get into but nothing serious. Previous owner put an OEM clutch back in after a couple of aftermarket clutch failures.
Vibe4Me

Post by Vibe4Me »

'04 GT 6speed with 125K, no issues with the trans. Shifts smooth all through the RPM band.
'04 Salsa GT, Sunroof
MNvibe

Post by MNvibe »

Swapped the 5-spd in my 04 with a junkyard 6-spd at ~225,000 km due to the usual bearing noise. I've heard rumors that the problem was fixed on the 05 but don't quote me. Don't know how reliable the automatic is (I prefer to row my own gears).
2004 neptune Pontiac Vibe base with 6-speed
eastsidegirl

Post by eastsidegirl »

03 Vibe GT Just replaced Tranny at 79K. After putting in the 5th Clutch! I love my car but I have had problems with the clutch since the day I drove it off the lot. I baby my car.....and it's always been garage kept. All maintenance has been done on schedule....and I don't drive it hard. I now have a leak coming from a seal where the CV/Axle connects to the tranny and don't know what to do about this? I am at the end of my rope with the clutch/tranny issues! Anyone out there have any advice for help for me re: this new leaK? It never leaked a drop of anything before I took it in to have the clutch replaced and then the mechanic told me I had to replace the tranny as well! and since I got it back from him it's been leaking big puddles of tranny fluid! He claimed it was the seal (CV goes into the tranny) so he replaced that, and now it's leaking even more!!! Now he claims it's the Axle!!! WTFreak!!!! My car was PERFECT other than the consistant issue with the clutch & now tranny. Please help me......I LOVE this car and I really can't afford for this mechanic to screw anything else up on it. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)
BW_My_VibeGT.JPG
BW_My_VibeGT.JPG (207.46 KiB) Viewed 7025 times
03FrostyVibe GT~18"Rims,BorlaExhaust,ShortThrowShifter,E-DeadCoatingThroughout,EclipseDoubleDinnDVD/Nav-Infinity spkrs&TreoSubs Amps,InjenColdAirIntake,Front&RearSwayBars,Tint,HighPerfDiskBreaks,NewTranny&CustomClutchSystm
dwpaul

Post by dwpaul »

My 2004 5-speed manual failed at 80,600 miles. Trying to decide now whether to have it repaired for $1200.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Replace it with a used 6 speed. I did! My 04 5 speed made it to less than 100k miles before grenading.
GTwannabe

Post by GTwannabe »

I'm in a 07, but the transmission just grenaded at 163K. Orded a 6MT replacement.
Kendrick Lamar agrees... Keep your Vibe alive and well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

The 6sp seems to hold up far better. That being said, the syncros in mine are (removed) thru almost all the gears. Been like that since I got it. A fluid change with a mix I like improved it but it still needs some work. Not generally an issue but can be a bear occasionally when driving spiritedly.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
2004pontvbgt6spd

Post by 2004pontvbgt6spd »

2004 Pontiac vibe GT 6-speed manual transmission 277,000 MI. All of a sudden without the clutch being pressed down it goes through reverse first second third and fourth but won't move the car however fifth and 6th gear you have to depress the clutch. Took the wheels off for less weight can Rev to 7,000 RPM in 5th gear the passenger wheel will slowly start to move the driver side not so much. With it running from underneath as the clutch is pressed I can shift through gears, inside the shifter just goes through the gears without the clutch except 5th and 6th. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Brian2003Vibe5speed

Post by Brian2003Vibe5speed »

2003 base Vibe with 344,xxx miles - mostly highway driving. Original clutch!

Transmission has been fine - if only the mechanic can get the proper length replacement halfshaft. :)
2004pontvbgt6spd

Post by 2004pontvbgt6spd »

2004 Pontiac vibe GT 6-speed manual transmission. 301300 on it. Just 700 in it. 1500 + tax for the car. Rough paint on the hood is the only noticable issue. All electric works. Only changed headlight bulbs several times. (DRL) No problem with that anymore. About 6 used tires. Front axels. Front driver side caliper. Rear brakes. Serpentine belt. Radiator cap. 2 clutches (I drive a lot). Just replaced plugs and coils. Oil change and gas. Did all that at home over the past year and 30,000 miles. Still needs tires, shocks and struts. Still runs like a dream. Drove it 3000 miles on bad coils. 2004 Pontiac vibe GT 6-speed manual transmission. 301300 on it. Just 700 in it. 1500 + tax for the car. Rough paint on the hood is the only noticable issue. All electric works. Only changed headlight bulbs several times. (DRL) No problem with that anymore. About 6 used tires. Front axels. Front driver side caliper. Rear brakes. Serpentine belt. Radiator cap. 2 clutches (I drive a lot). Just replaced plugs and coils. Oil change and gas. Did all that at home over the past year and 30,000 miles. Still needs tires, shocks and struts. Still runs like a dream. Drove it 3000 miles on bad coils. Been using the trip meter to gauge my miles because Toyota didn't have enough faith in the Pontiac vibe to allow it to roll over to 300,000 or more
Gauthier

Post by Gauthier »

Under normal circumstances, he works very well and can change gears freely.
Our main focus at skysmotor.co.uk is to offer stepper motor and servo motors through our online platform, with the aim of providing competitive prices and efficient services to ensure customer satisfaction.