Clutch Question - 04 GT

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
liftoff

Clutch Question - 04 GT

Post by liftoff »

Hey guys, first post on here. I recently acquiried my first vibe, a 2004 GT. It has had 4 owners including me. It came with all the service records since day 1. It has 248000kms, (about 150k miles), the previous owner told me that it has the original clutch and I have looked at every service record and there is no evidence of the clutch ever being replaced let alone a clutch issue, it does not slip at all and works great, (will still chirp 2nd). From what i have read here, the clutches on the GT only last till around 150kms. Do you guys think that this could be my original clutch? Just doesnt make sense to me??

Thanks, Evan.
mac99d

Re: Clutch Question - 04 GT

Post by mac99d »

Who knows...maybe the previous drivers where very easy on it and never drove it hard. If it works it works. I have replaced my clutch a few times since 2004 when I got it, but I am not the easiest going driver on my car. :D
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

liftoff

Post by liftoff »

Right on, the previous owner did say that the old guy who had it originally never drove it hard so your probably right. I love hittin lift so itll probably start going soon eventually. What would you recommend for a replacement clutch for when it does go? Im thinking an Exeedy Stage 1, are there any better stage 1 options?
Zvibe2004

Post by Zvibe2004 »

i put a ededy oem spec clutch in mine and it feels great and grabbs awesome. idk how itll hold up in the long run though, it only has around 14k miles on it, and i dont exactly baby mine either
2004 Base Vibe, 134,000 on the clock and still tickin'
born automatic, NOT ANYMORE!!! it's a 6 speed now!! :D
its gonna be a mean vibe someday, to about the tune of 350-400 whp ;)
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

If you interested I have a MWR light weight fly wheel and ACT Clutch - Toyota 1ZZ 2ZZ Celica-MR2-S-Corolla-Matrix-TC2-HDSS with 10,000 miles on it. viewtopic.php?f=46&t=40233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zvibe2004

Post by Zvibe2004 »

id be interested in the flywheel if i didnt have to pull my trans to swap it. im just gonna wait till i build it and put a fidanza in it along with a XTSS clutch, that should hold up to what i plan on doin with it ;)
2004 Base Vibe, 134,000 on the clock and still tickin'
born automatic, NOT ANYMORE!!! it's a 6 speed now!! :D
its gonna be a mean vibe someday, to about the tune of 350-400 whp ;)
ChuckstrPT

Post by ChuckstrPT »

I just replaced the clutch in my '05 GT at 150k miles. I was pretty surprised too. I've had the car since 35k, and expected it to go at any time. I'm not gentle on it at all, but I think it was the original clutch. I put in a SPEC stage 1. Not entirely pleased. It's very difficult to modulate at slow speeds, ie pulling into the garage. But it does grab well when you want to go!
05 GT, Abyss Black, all tarted up...
Vibe4Me

Post by Vibe4Me »

Stock clutch lasted 105K, I am the second owner.
'04 Salsa GT, Sunroof
maaadtrip

Post by maaadtrip »

Hitting lift isn't going to wear your clutch faster.

I've got a replacemet OEM clutch in my '03 GT. Previous owner told me he tried a couple stage 1 aftermarkets but that they failed after minimal use so he reverted to stock..
liftoff

Post by liftoff »

I know hitting lift won't wear it, but bad shifting while in lift such as slamming 3rd to 4th would wear it out if you slip it while shifting..
I'm just gonna keep driving it till it starts slipping. Just found it weird how many people are on there 2nd or 3rd clutch and I'm still rockin the original with zero issues.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Drive it like you stole it then get an ACT clutch and a fidanza flywheel
dak6351

Post by dak6351 »

If cost is an issue (like it is for me) I went to NAPA and got the one they offered. It was cheaper then the rest of the market but I also wanted a clutch like OEM. But I have just gone 154,000 miles on this one and it is not the original one either. I eventually want to make mine a sleeper but it'll have to wait til I am finished with college.
Good luck
if a wing makes your car fast then with me having 2 I go twice as fast!! I substitute your reality with my logic.