ATF: To change or not to change...

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ColonelPanic

ATF: To change or not to change...

Post by ColonelPanic »

I'm pondering doing some ATF drain & fills on the Vibe. It is now 10 years old and has around 81,000 gently driven miles on it. On the original fluid. :? I think it is due for some new T-IV.

You know the old adage "change transmission fluid too late and you'll kill the transmission..." Just wondering if I should go ahead and change it, or if at this point it's best to leave it alone and take the dipstick label's word that it is a "lifetime" fluid. I would rather change it since I would like for us to keep the car around forever. The fluid is dark but not really "black" like I often see people mention around here about aged T-IV. Doesn't smell burnt that I can tell.
atf.JPG
atf.JPG (244.78 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
All in all, it looks pretty good to me for 80k+ ATF. At least I don't see clutch material floating around in the fluid like I do every time I check the fluid on my Hyundai. :lol:

BTW is there a crush washer on the drain plug I need to get from Toyota when I go there?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
joatmon

Re: ATF: To change or not to change...

Post by joatmon »

I'd say change it. I'd probably just do a drain and refill. Maybe do it again after a few thousand miles. Since the filter in the pan is really just a screen, I wouldn't bother changing that. Makes it even easier than an oil change.

Congrats on having relatively trouble free Vibing since the departure of Sir Knocksalot

and congrats on your low miles per year. I'm more than triple yours.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

ColonelPanic wrote:I'm pondering doing some ATF drain & fills on the Vibe...The fluid is dark but not really "black" like I often see people mention around here about aged T-IV...
If it is anything other than clean and red/pink I would change it.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

joatmon wrote:I'd say change it. I'd probably just do a drain and refill. Maybe do it again after a few thousand miles. Since the filter in the pan is really just a screen, I wouldn't bother changing that. Makes it even easier than an oil change.

Congrats on having relatively trouble free Vibing since the departure of Sir Knocksalot

and congrats on your low miles per year. I'm more than triple yours.
Can you clean the transmission filter? Just want to know before I change my fluid again.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

At that mileage...definitely change it. At 160,000 or over I would say no. I was doing flush fills at the oil change place...i won't do that again. They never changed the filter, and at 190k the bands were worn and codes showed up for the trans. I think this is one of the few things I now only trust the dealer to do.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Canker

Post by Canker »

I changed mine at 195k and it was black and I bet original. I just changed what was in the pan and plan to do so again during the next oil change.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Thanks all! :)

I guess I'll get some T-IV and take care of it at the next few oil changes. No plans on dropping the pan, just drain & fills. The car gets driven so little I usually only change the oil twice a year -- it will be a slow process to get all new fluid in there.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image