03 Vibe random power loss

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Wingzeroac19x

03 Vibe random power loss

Post by Wingzeroac19x »

Hey everyone!!! I am new to the forum and I'm having an interesting issue with my Vibe. It's a 2003 AWD Vibe w/ automatic transmission. The problem is that it at random times has no power at all. Sometimes its when you first leave somewhere, put your foot into it and nothing, it will not accelerate or is extremely slow and creeps up to speed. Almost all decent inclines (I live in the mountains) causes it to creep along as well. There are no check engine lights and I had to have the catalytic converters changed recently so its not them. I have done a full tuneup (Plugs, checked igniters, O2 sensors, air filter etc) and I do routine maintenance (High mileage oil every 3000 miles with toughguard filter as well as monitor all fluids). I'm really at a loss as to what could cause this problem and the gm garage just laughs at me since there is no cel on. This car should not be running like this. The only other thing I can think of to add is the fuel mileage jumps all over the place it was from 28-22 (same trips to work and back). After using greased lightning fuel system and ethanol fix it now gets a near constant 27 or so. Could it be the fuel filter (even though its a lifetime element)? or maybe the VVT? Any ideas would be appreciated!!
KITT222

Re: 03 Vibe random power loss

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome to Genvibe!

It stinks to hear about that issue, but I don't think it's uncommon for the AWD Vibe to act like this. The automatic in these cars is a pain. The shift points are far and few, it doesn't respond to afterthought throttle input, and it makes these cars seem like they have even less power. It sounds to me like your car is acting like a Vibe automatic without any issues. I could be off about this, but it sounds like everything has been checked. Another big thing about your is is that it's the AWD Vibe. They have less power than the base (130hp vs 120 in the AWD) and weigh more thanks to the AWD system.

I recommend an aftermarket air intake. It helps the engine breathe better and gets you better throttle response.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Have you had it for a while, and has it behaved this way the whole time you have owned it?

If you stopped, and in park or neutral (no load) and step on the gas, does the engine respond quickly?
GSlink86

Post by GSlink86 »

KITT222 wrote:Welcome to Genvibe!

It stinks to hear about that issue, but I don't think it's uncommon for the AWD Vibe to act like this. The automatic in these cars is a pain. The shift points are far and few, it doesn't respond to afterthought throttle input, and it makes these cars seem like they have even less power. It sounds to me like your car is acting like a Vibe automatic without any issues. I could be off about this, but it sounds like everything has been checked. Another big thing about your is is that it's the AWD Vibe. They have less power than the base (130hp vs 120 in the AWD) and weigh more thanks to the AWD system.

I recommend an aftermarket air intake. It helps the engine breathe better and gets you better throttle response.
I definitely agree with Kitt, My Auto 03 Base Vibe is sluggish after start up if not allowed time to come to temp. and before exhaust and intake upgrades was sluggish with hills. The auto shift points most definitely play a roll. Overdrive gear is low rpms and the auto likes to hesitate to shift out of it, GREAT for MPG, bad for hills..
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

Have you had the computer read for codes? Possibly it has set a code during one of these episodes.

Another thought is that the VVI is acting up. Possibly the solenoid or filter is dirty or going bad. There is a post further down this engine forum about changing/cleaning the VVi filter. It might be worth looking into. Cold engine, oil doesn't flow as well thru the filter, engine warms up, and oil flows thru partially clogged filter well enough to work.

Charles
chadhgraves

Post by chadhgraves »

You might check and clean your MAF Sensor with some MAF spray cleaner. You might want to go to this site and put in your information to try and diagnose your problem. It will give you some things to look for that you may have not thought of before. It's also got all the TSB's and service bulletins ever issued for your make and model Vibe. http://www.automd.com
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

I have this same problem - all intermittently - in my 03 GT.
I've changed plugs & wires, changes OCV filters, cleaned throttlebody, cleaned MAF, checked air filter...no changes.

It is the intermitten-ness that bugs me. Some days it's all fire and ferocity, other days it goes NOWHERE, does it slowly and sounds like hell for the entire journey. Then, I get up to ~4-5k RPM and the engine starts to wake up, starts shedding the power-cobwebs and starts to get its act together...but it is a long slow process.

I do have a CEL code P0135, but I've had that code for many months and this problem is only a few weeks old.
I have an air intake manifold gasket on order and I hope to do that job either this Friday night or...well...sometime later.

If that gasket doesn't take care of the problem, i'm not sure what to go after next.

I got a code reader with live engine data display to see if I could track anything down...but then realized I don't know what the live engine data SHOULD look like...
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
Wingzeroac19x

Post by Wingzeroac19x »

This definitely isnt just the vibe running normally. When I can floor it and it wont creep past 25 mph somethings up, or when cruise is set and it just drops to 20 or 30's on flat road. I have had the vibe since January after my wife totaled her Prius on black ice. I'm really interested in the vvt filter idea because it sounds very similar to the issues. I will probably give that a shot as soon as I can. Thanks everyone for your kind help so far and I look forward to any more possible ideas while I go after the vvt filter.