Changing Spark Plugs

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
redterrier

Changing Spark Plugs

Post by redterrier »

I'm attempting to replace the spark plugs on my 2010 Vibe with a 1.8L. I removed the coil from the hole and placed the socket in place but could not get it to engage the spark plug. I then got a mirror so I could see down the hole and discovered the head of the spark plug (needed to engage socket) was not visible. It (the head of the spark plug) appeared to be covered by the metal sleeve/tube which houses the coil and provides access to the plug. Am I missing something? Is there a special tool for the 2010's? I've replaced a lot of spark plugs (including other model year Vibes) but never encountered this. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Rocky07

Re: Changing Spark Plugs

Post by Rocky07 »

Hmmmm.....I just replaced the plugs in my wife's 2003 Base Vibe and everything came out with the coil. Just took out the plugs with a 5/8 plug socket with extention...
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

Did you get the plugs out, or the coil back together? I suspect something came apart with you when you pulled the coil.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Charles
redterrier

Post by redterrier »

I decided to wait on replacing the plugs until I get a little more information since the gas mileage is still good and it's running fine. I also noticed in the owners manual it doesn't recommend replacing them until 120,000 miles. I'll keep checking back periodically to see if anyone else with a 2010 model encountered any problems or to see if I'm just making it too hard.
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

My thinking is you need to investigate the plugs. I pulled mine in my '04 model with about 60K miles recently and a couple of them were somewhat tight coming out. Plugs nowdays just stay in the engine too long and then the threads seize. They really need to be pulled ever 50K or so just to keep them freed up so you don't take the threads out with them when you finally do replace them.

Charles
mauerpower

Post by mauerpower »

Hello,
Did you ever get this figured out ? I attempted to change my spark plugs in 2010 Vibe with the 1.8L engine. I encountered the same issue and stopped. I would appreciate any feedback.
Thank you
mauerpower
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, mine were very tight coming out. Scared the hell out of me. I decided to go forward and crank them out and did so successfully. All the Denso plugs were firing hot and clean. Replaced with the same. I just recently put in fresh Denso ignition coils. I realize now that I did not use anti-seize when I put my plugs in, and I tightened them by feel, just like I did a thousand times in the 70's, rather than using a torque wrench. The plugs now have over 25,000 miles on them and have not blown out of their compartment so I guess I did OK. The black air vent housing does get in the way when trying to get the plugs out. I used my flexible 45 degree extensions since all my rigid extensions were either too short to reach the plug or too long and bumped into the vent housing. The second gen is not as easy to work on as the first, that's for sure. The PCV itself is an expensive nightmare to replace.
mauerpower

Post by mauerpower »

Thank you for the reply, but perhaps my question was not clear. Let me re-state: I'm attempting to replace the spark plugs on my 2010 Vibe with a 1.8L. I removed the coil from the hole and placed the socket in place but could not get it to engage the spark plug. I then got a mirror so I could see down the hole and discovered the head of the spark plug (needed to engage socket) was not visible. It (the head of the spark plug) appeared to be covered by the metal sleeve/tube which houses the coil and provides access to the plug. Am I missing something? Is there a special tool for the 2010's?
Regards
mauerpower
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Sorry for your troubles. No, there is no special tool. You either are not reaching down far enough to get the plug out, or something has disengaged from the ignition coil. To test this, simply use your spark plug ratchet to remove one of the other plugs. I can't even imagine what you are seeing in the mirror since I can't imagine how any part of the ignition coil could separate and remain on the plug. If it were me, and I was sure there was something amiss, it would be time for me to take it to a professional to remove what's left of the plug in the chamber. Good luck to you.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Below is the info for a 2009-2010 Vibe spark plug install from GM for the 1.8L engine. The steps are remove cover, remove coil packs, remove spark plugs. Some of the strange info that is in this picture is that they call for a 14mm spark plug socket. I have the 2.4L engine in my Vibe and that section does not say 14mm spark plug socket. My 2.4L used what I would say is a normal spark plug socket which is 5/8" extra deep spark plug socket, which is pretty common for cars now. A 14mm spark plug socket very close to 9/16" and they do make extra deep spark plug sockets in both 9/16" and 5/8". I would guess that if the plugs are 9/16" and a person tried to use a 5/8" socket that either the socket would not go all the way down into the spark plug chamber, and if it did go all the way down that the socket would not grip the plug. GM has print wrong information about other things for the Vibe so this would not be the first and I can not confirm this because I have the 2.4L which does use a 5/8" socket for the spark plugs.

Also, here is a link to extra deep spark plug sockets on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/s/156-0135626-07 ... ex=blended

I found over at a Toyota forum that the '09 and up use a smaller spark plug that is 9/16' or 14mm, which is different from the size used in '08 and down. The manual for the Vibe is correct on this.
Attachments
spark plug install.jpg
spark plug install.jpg (84.27 KiB) Viewed 9253 times
Last edited by jolt on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deafanddiabetic

Post by deafanddiabetic »

Whether it's a car or a motorcycle or lawn mower I usually do a squirt or two of Liquid Wrench into the spark plug hole, let it settle for a few mintues then take them out. There's not a ton that can be done to clean up the threads of your head, just use spark plug "lube" and they'll stay fine, the threads will be clean, and the liquid wrench will evaporate or burn away upon ignition.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

One of the best tips for plug removal: take them out hot. As hot as you can stand.
gman1981

Post by gman1981 »

Hey mate... last week I did change my sparkplug on my vibe 2006. This was the first time ever doing it my self and ran into the hasel of having a weird rubber cover being stuck on the top of the so said sparkplug.. rubber plugger comming from the Motomaster sparkplug socket i was using.... had to rip and cut this rubbish and proceeded on a second attemp by removing the sparkplug on a hot engine wich worked great considering my exposure to winter condition... done deal an hour
PonchoGT

Post by PonchoGT »

Three things that are a must when changing spark plugs in aluminum block and heads; a warm engine, a can of PB Blaster and anti-seize compound for the threads on the new plugs.
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

jayoldschool wrote:One of the best tips for plug removal: take them out hot. As hot as you can stand.
I'm old school too and always heard that one should take them out cold if you have an aluminum head. I guess I need to do a search and read up on what might have changed over the years.
2005 Base - 220k
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

gman1981 wrote:This was the first time ever doing it my self and ran into the hasel of having a weird rubber cover being stuck on the top of the so said sparkplug.. rubber plugger comming from the Motomaster sparkplug socket i was using.... had to rip and cut this rubbish
Ugh, that happened to me on my last spark plug change- used a 30 year old socket and the rubber separated from the socket and stayed on the plug! :o Couldn't get another socket on the plug because of the rubber and ended up having to cut the rubber with a piece of razor blade stuck on a dowel, then picking the pieces out with a tweezer on the same dowel. Cost me over an hour :x
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum