Rough idle

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Harojake

Rough idle

Post by Harojake »

I have a 03 gt awd with 230,000 miles and the only problem I have is that it had developed a rough idle when at operating temp in gear while I'm stopped. When I put it in nutral or have the ac on it idles fine. I just did a full tune up to try to cure this issue and use Lucas fuel cleaner and that didn't seem to work either. Could it be a bad cat? My cat has been bad sense 2006 and this has just started a few weeks ago. Any help would be great because I plan on driving this car another 230,000
acvw74

Re: Rough idle

Post by acvw74 »

Have you had any luck?

I would start by scanning the ECM...sometimes there is an error code that doesn't cause the light to come on...

I had a recent experience with this on a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville...ran fine with a load on the engine...but setting at ide...almost like it was missing. The root cause was the air/fuel sensor prior to the cat...swapped it out...and prob went away..

Keep us posted...Good Luck
dgekiere

Post by dgekiere »

Harojake wrote:I have a 03 gt awd with 230,000 miles and the only problem I have is that it had developed a rough idle when at operating temp in gear while I'm stopped. When I put it in nutral or have the ac on it idles fine. I just did a full tune up to try to cure this issue and use Lucas fuel cleaner and that didn't seem to work either. Could it be a bad cat? My cat has been bad sense 2006 and this has just started a few weeks ago. Any help would be great because I plan on driving this car another 230,000

is this a base model or a gt. didn't know of any awd gt's back then. also the engines are different between the 2. it also sounds like its an automatic which the gt's didn't come with. as far as the rough idle if you havn't done a intake gasket yet it is pry time to do one. with the high failure rate of them it could cause the rough idle. its also cheap and easy to do.

another thing you could do is the oil control valve filter here is a link for more info on it viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hope this helps and is cheap for you to fix
2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
Harojake

Post by Harojake »

Yes it's a 03 gt awd with an auto trans atleast that what the all the paper work said when I bought it in 03. I hven't messed with any vacume lines I will check them tho. I've checked for symptoms of head gasket and there is none, compression is even across the board. When I scanned for codes it said random multiple miss fire on all 4 and too lean bank one and two, o2 sensor bad, cat bad. No other codes.
Harojake

Post by Harojake »

Ok correction it a 03 vibe awd I also have a 03 mustang gt oops my bad. It's a 1.8 1zz-fe
dgekiere

Post by dgekiere »

Harojake wrote:Ok correction it a 03 vibe awd I also have a 03 mustang gt oops my bad. It's a 1.8 1zz-fe
no worries it all good... so a few things to try that were problems on all 1zz engines
1. intake gasket, costs about $5-10 and is fairly easy to do. i have had some come out in pieces and some come out whole with the corners cracked. it usually causes a higher than normal idle at first then eventually sets a mil light for a lean condition, but it could cause a rough idle.
2. try a battery disconect. this has been known to fix a variety of issues. doing this will make the computer relearn its basics from scratch. maybe others can chime in about if its ever fixed a rough idle.
3. the oil control filter. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; this again may not fix an idle issuebut it has other benifits, like more power and better fuel economy sometimes. its not hard to do and will be easy to get to with the intake pulled out. its also a maintenance item that is over looked alot of the time.
4. i see you did a tune up. what plugs did you put in it. these engines were designed to run with iridium plugs. if you put in platinums some members have had issues with them.
2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
Harojake

Post by Harojake »

I used standard ac deco plugs. I had the battery out for two days cus I needed a new one and it still has rough idle. I'll try the head gasket and the filter sometime next week hen I have time off of work. Can I get the filter at any parts store or is it factory order.
Harojake

Post by Harojake »

Intake gasket** not head gasket right?
dgekiere

Post by dgekiere »

Harojake wrote:Intake gasket** not head gasket right?
Yup the intake gasket
dgekiere

Post by dgekiere »

Harojake wrote:I used standard ac deco plugs. I had the battery out for two days cus I needed a new one and it still has rough idle. I'll try the head gasket and the filter sometime next week hen I have time off of work. Can I get the filter at any parts store or is it factory order.
By standard plugs do you mean the cheaper delco plugs. The iridium plugs r about $7 a plug
dgekiere

Post by dgekiere »

Ok after readinv the first post again i see the problem was before the plug change. You could try cleaning the thottle plate and cleaning the maf sensor. Those need to be done from time to time anyway. I do mine about once a year.
Harojake

Post by Harojake »

Ok so imt to head to the parts store right now. They were the $2 deco plugs. But what is this filter called and where can I buy a new one? I've never heard of a oil controle filter or vvti filter or any of the other things people have told me so I'm just curious what is it actually called and where can I get it.
Harojake

Post by Harojake »

So I found the filter at Graff Chevrolet for about $8 and I got the intake gasket. Filter will be here sometime next week and figured I would do an oil change too. I've been using the same oil and oil filter for ever, Gould I use a high mileage oil or synthetic? Or should I just continue using the same stuff I have been using?