2.4L auto trans performance question when lifting throttle

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
trb

2.4L auto trans performance question when lifting throttle

Post by trb »

Hey guys,

All this transmission talk has me wondering about mine. One thing I've noticed on my 2010 GT is that when I take my foot completely off the throttle when driving 40-55 mph or so, it really has a lot of engine braking, I'm assuming. So much that it almost feels like my brakes are being applied or like a manual trans feels when you lift off the throttle and leave it in gear at a higher rpm. When I put the trans in neutral, it will coast without the resistance. I've never had an auto trans show this much engine braking before. I've been trying to find another 2.4 Vibe at a used car lot to drive and compare, but they are hard to find or are 30 miles away.

How do the transmissions on your cars feel? My powertrain warranty is good until 9/14, but I'm wondering if I should take it in and have it looked at. I really wish I had a manual trans on this car!

Thanks.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
j42.snyder

Re: 2.4L auto trans performance question when lifting thrott

Post by j42.snyder »

I think your transmission is operating as intended - we've had a couple of brief discussions on this on here in the past. It's probably because of the fuel cutoff when the throttle is closed that makes it so apparent.

Although I haven't driven it enough recently to directly comment on its deceleration rate, my brother owns a manual 2.4 version of the car. The gearing is very different on the manual - 5th gear on the manual is still slightly shorter than 4th on the auto - making for some high revs on the highway. Drop your auto to 4th on the highway and you'll get a close representation of what the manual is like to live with for cruising. I prefer my auto for that - better on gas too. I used to enjoy driving manuals (and owned a few) but for physical reasons auto is now the way I have to go for daily use. I don't miss the manual much when stuck in traffic either...

Just wanted to say that I think your car is behaving "normally", or at least as normal as newer cars behave I guess...

John
trb

Post by trb »

Thanks for the info. I guess I'm just a manual trans guy stuck in an auto trans world (family!) :lol: After driving my 5 speed Mustang for 25 years, it is hard to appreciate an auto that does not do what you want it to do!

One particular instance yesterday, I let off at about 45mph, the car dragged down for about 5-8 seconds, I could physically feel myself pitching forward, and then it let up and coasted. Like it shifted into neutral or a lock up converter unlocked or something. And I don't like the 2-3 second delays in downshifting. When I punch it, I want it to go, NOW, not 2 seconds later.

Maybe my best option is to give this car to my daughter and find me a manual trans 09-10 GT. I did find a 2.4L vibe for sale that is reasonably close to me. Hope I can get by there to test drive it before it sells.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trb wrote:Hey guys,

All this transmission talk has me wondering about mine. One thing I've noticed on my 2010 GT is that when I take my foot completely off the throttle when driving 40-55 mph or so, it really has a lot of engine braking, I'm assuming. So much that it almost feels like my brakes are being applied or like a manual trans feels when you lift off the throttle and leave it in gear at a higher rpm. When I put the trans in neutral, it will coast without the resistance. I've never had an auto trans show this much engine braking before. I've been trying to find another 2.4 Vibe at a used car lot to drive and compare, but they are hard to find or are 30 miles away.

How do the transmissions on your cars feel? My powertrain warranty is good until 9/14, but I'm wondering if I should take it in and have it looked at. I really wish I had a manual trans on this car!

Thanks.
That's totally normal. Both our 2009 GTs do the same thing. Sometimes it's more noticeable then others, but it's definitely much more noticeable then any other vehicle I've ever driven.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

Just like J to Envy said, this is a normal operation - I have a 2010 2.4 and this is totally normal - unlike the older transmissions/transaxles primarily of the 4 speed generation, these trans do not use bands anymore which alters the shift feel & quality - all the newer 5, 6 & 7 speed autos are using clutch to clutch shifting controled by solenoids which allows for more gearsets in a smaller housing - the result is the trans holding certain gears longer, later upshifts, more hunting when getting back on the throttle, slight bumping felt when braking & trans is shifting down, slight overlap of gear shifting as one set engages and the other relases. These are all normal and most new drivers to these multiple speed transmissions usually have complaints about the operating characterists, but have not been informed that this is normal. Don't worry about taking it in, just change the fluid at regualar intervals and enjoy you ride :D
trb

Post by trb »

Thanks for the info. It just reinforces my opinion and preference for manual transmissions. At least I know what gear it is in and what it will do when I drive it, unlike these possessed automatic transmissions that have their own minds! :D
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

trb wrote:Thanks for the info. It just reinforces my opinion and preference for manual transmissions. At least I know what gear it is in and what it will do when I drive it, unlike these possessed automatic transmissions that have their own minds! :D
Here Here!! :!:
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)