09 AT Vibe GT running at higher rpm than normal...

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
musicmanmu

09 AT Vibe GT running at higher rpm than normal...

Post by musicmanmu »

A few weeks ago, my check engine light came on and my traction control alert flashed "off." it ran normally.Took it to the dealer last Friday and of course, the light went off that morning They told me that everything was fine. As I drove away, what happened? Light comes back on! Ugh.Last day or two, the car has been acting strange. Sometimes when driving from a stop, it feels like it doesn't want to kick into gear, and sometimes even jolting a bit as if to suggest transmission problems? Now today, at highway speeds, the RPMs seem to be running higher than usual (about 3,000 RPM at around 60). It's like it doesn't want to kick into a higher gear.Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!
2009 Vibe GT - Navy Blue Metallic

star_deceiver

Re: 09 AT Vibe GT running at higher rpm than normal... (musicmanmu)

Post by star_deceiver »

1) Take it to a different dealer. 2) Get a camera and make a vid of what it's doing.3) What happens when you put it into S?
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
musicmanmu

Re: 09 AT Vibe GT running at higher rpm than normal... (star_deceiver)

Post by musicmanmu »

Well normally they are very good. Thought I'd give them one more go at it.I will try to take some video.I was kind of afraid to put it into S mode because of the problem. But I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks!

musicmanmu

Re: 09 AT Vibe GT running at higher rpm than normal... (musicmanmu)

Post by musicmanmu »

Just an update...the car seemed to act normally this morning. Don't know if I was imaging things or what. But the check engine light and VSC light are both still on. I'll take it back to the dealership soon to see if they can look it over again. Ugh!

musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

...and now the car seems to be going in and out of this 'thing' where the RPMs run high. Normally, going 70 MPH, my RPMs are around 2.2, 2.5 or so. When this happens, they go up past 3, and when I accelerate to try and get it to kick into a higher gear, it will not do so. Putting into Sport mode has no effect. Ugh. Going back to the dealership Wednesday.

vibedrivermatt

Re: (musicmanmu)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

If it gives you some peace of mind while waiting to go back to the dealership, you could check automatic transmission fluid. There are very specific instructions on how to check it in the owners manual. Checking the fluid is a little is more complicated than I thought it would be.
musicmanmu

Re: (vibedrivermatt)

Post by musicmanmu »

Thanks for the tip!It's odd...I drive a good 100 miles roundtrip to work M-F, and the lights are always on. Over the weekend, when I don't drive the car as much, the light will sometimes shut off, as they did this weekend.This morning, after about 20 min. on the interstate, the lights came back on.Bringing it into the dealership Wednesday, so I just hope the damn lights stay on so they can see what's triggering it!