How much damage will this cause?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
bax08

How much damage will this cause?

Post by bax08 »

I was putting some lucas oil gas treatment in my car this morning before I filled it up. I accidentially dropped the cap from the bottle into the gas tank. Right down the filler tube it went! It's from the 32 oz. bottle so it's a cone shape, not the round cap from the smaller bottles. Obviously my first thought and worry is that it's going to cause damage at some point. I know there is a screen in the tank preventing objects such as this from making its way to the engine. However, I'm more concerned about the cap slowly dissovling over time and doing its damage that way. Also, is it possible that it may block the fuel line somehow and prevent fuel from getting to the engine. Luckily I did this while I was at home (the gas station is not far away). Needless to say I took my wife's car to work today until I got some answers to this issue.Would like some opinions as to what you all would do.~Thanks
chadhgraves

Re: How much damage will this cause? (bax08)

Post by chadhgraves »

Well you have three options. Option 1. - Do nothing, hope the filter/screen catches it, and nothing happens or affects your car's performance.Option 2. - Try to figure out a solution to get the cap out yourself. Drop the tank? Siphon out all the gas? Use a snake camera to see where it's at? I don't know.Option 3. - Take the car to a mechanic and tell them what happened. Prepare to pay for whatever solution they come up with. Pick your poison. I would do option 3, and at least see what they say. It will always be in the back of your mind if you just leave it in there.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Access to the tank is from a port under the rear seat. You might be able to open that up (carefully, no spark!) and fish out the cap.I'd probably just ignore it and hope for the best
bax08

Re: How much damage will this cause? (joatmon)

Post by bax08 »

Did not know there was an access port to the gas tank under the rear seat. Any idea how big the port is? Would I be able to reach my hand in and fish around for it?
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

This is starting to sound like Fear Factor.
Steelies to the rescue.
bax08

Re: How much damage will this cause? (jkm311)

Post by bax08 »

After speaking with my mechanic and doing some research online (apparently this happens to people more than you think) it appears this is very unlikely to cause any damage and should be fine. I'm not normally one to let something like this go and it will probably be in the back of my mind for a little while, but in this case I'm going to leave well enough alone!
circuitsmith

Post by circuitsmith »

Suppose you bought another bottle of the stuff and dropped the cap into a cup of gas to see if it dissolves.If it does dissolve I don't think it will do harm since plastic is made from petroleum and it's such a small amount: a few grams diluted in gallons of gasoline.
2006 Matrix 5-sp
chadhgraves

Re: (circuitsmith)

Post by chadhgraves »

I would do that. Put a new cap from a lucas oil bottle in a cup of gas and monitor it over time. See what effect it has on it. If it morphs into a gremlin, then kill it instantly.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yea I doubt it will cause any serious issues. I will slow break down ove time. Now what I would do it is run the tank empty, open it and pull the cap out.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
KITT222

Re: (Salsa Guy)

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by Salsa Guy »Yea I doubt it will cause any serious issues. I will slow break down ove time. Now what I would do it is run the tank empty, open it and pull the cap out.Same. I don't want non-gas things in my tank. You can just unbolt the rear seat bolts from the floor of the car, and tilt it up. There is an access hole in the floor. From there I cannot help you, but it should really be easy.
dgekiere

Post by dgekiere »

its right in the center of the 2 rear seats
2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
bax08

Re: How much damage will this cause? (dgekiere)

Post by bax08 »

The access hole in the center, is that where the fuel pump sits? If so, is it a pain to take out? Does it simply unbolt and pull right out?
KNINE

Re: How much damage will this cause? (jkm311)

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »This is starting to sound like Fear Factor. (removed)
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I wouldn't sweat it. I doubt that it will cause any harm.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

The good news it that it is probably floating, so may be easy to fish out of there once you open up the access hole.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
joecoolinatl

Post by joecoolinatl »

Honestly, it will probably dissolve. yall would freak if you knew how much random stuff falls into the tanks at gas stations when the drivers go to drop fuel in there. cell phones, pens, etc. it always dissolves.
2003 Neptune Base
Moon & Tunes Pkg.
Premium Monotone Pkg./ 16" Wheels
DraziWDragon

Re: How much damage will this cause?

Post by DraziWDragon »

the access port under the seat is where the fuel pump is, and is more than large enough to put your arm into. it does just unbolt, but its sealed by a tar like adhesive. you should be able to pull the plate off without having to cut the sealer adhesive. its pretty soft.
bluneon

Re: How much damage will this cause?

Post by bluneon »

only do this in an open and ventilated area. open all doors and windows. have a fan blow fresh air into the vehicle while the fuel tank is open. do this while the fuel tank is as empty as you can get it.

unbolt forward most bolts from rear seats, bungee cord the seats to the seat backs so you won't have to completely remove the whole assembly.
pry out the cover, it's only held in place by butyl tape. try not to get the tape smeared everywhere. also watch out for sharp edges from sheet metal.
unhook the electrical connector to the fuel pump, remove the fuel cap from the gas tank.
start engine, allow to stall out. attempt to start engine a few more times; this is to relieve fuel system pressure.
disconnect the battery. disconnect the evap hose and the pressure hose from the fuel pump assembly. have some rags w you to clean up spilled gas.
use a fuel pump retainer ring tool to remove the ring securing the pump to the tank.
remove pump, pull it out carefully. do not bend the float for the level sensor; twist, turn, rotate it to get it out. it's a tight fit, but it will come out.
try to keep the fuel pump upright after removal, the reservoir will still have gas in it. it will spill out everywhere if/when the pump is tilted too far.

go fish.