2009 Base model Vibe. Belt noise? or transmission?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
vhoward1122

2009 Base model Vibe. Belt noise? or transmission?

Post by vhoward1122 »

I bought this car new in March of 2008. I have just now got 20,000 miles on it most of it around town. I have a sound coming from under the hood that sounds like a chorus of crickets. When it is cold and first started up, it makes this noise continuously. After it warms up the noise goes away at idle. When I am under way, it comes back. If I depress the clutch to shift, the noise goes away the whole time the clutch is disengaged. When it is cold, I have opened the hood and the noise seems to be coming from the left side (drivers side).I am hoping it is just needing a new belt as 20,000 miles seems a little early for a clutch replacement.Any ideas?Thanks, Vance
trb

Re: 2009 Base model Vibe. Belt noise? or transmission? (vhoward1122)

Post by trb »

Sounds like the throw out bearing that disengages the clutch, not necessarily the clutch. I've had a couple of them start chirping in my Mustang, but they were not too bad so I ignored them until I changed the clutch. Although I did have one that came apart, but it gave no real warning. I would expect a clutch in these cars to last over 100K unless it was abused. I usually get about 50K from mine, but that is in daily rush hour traffic, and some hard driving/ shifting.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
star_deceiver

Re: 2009 Base model Vibe. Belt noise? or transmission? (vhoward1122)

Post by star_deceiver »

Wouldn't the throwout bearing only make noise when the clutch is disengaged? Idling in neutral, the bearing should be doing nothing.I suggest you change the transmission fluid. Mine used to make this noise years ago but only on really cold days. I've switched oils a few times, right now I have generic TDH fluid in there. I'll be putting in Redline MT-90 in there once the snow somewhat goes away. I'm at 118'000kms, haven't had transmission noise since I changed out the stock oil years ago. And although I'm not abusive, I wouldn't say I'm the nicest to my clutch...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
trb

Re: 2009 Base model Vibe. Belt noise? or transmission? (star_deceiver)

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Wouldn't the throwout bearing only make noise when the clutch is disengaged? Idling in neutral, the bearing should be doing nothing.I'm not sure how these cars work, but on the ones I've worked on, the TOB is barely in contact with the fingers of the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged, so it turns some and can vibrate, thus exibiting a chirp or squeal when the bearing is going out. When you put in the clutch and press the TOB against the fingers, it is firmly engaged with no room for vibration and the noise stops. Quote »I suggest you change the transmission fluid. Mine used to make this noise years ago but only on really cold days. I've switched oils a few times, right now I have generic TDH fluid in there. I'll be putting in Redline MT-90 in there once the snow somewhat goes away. I'm at 118'000kms, haven't had transmission noise since I changed out the stock oil years ago. And although I'm not abusive, I wouldn't say I'm the nicest to my clutch... Good info also. A change of fluid can't hurt.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vhoward1122

Post by vhoward1122 »

Well, Putting in a new serpentine belt did nothing for the chirping. The old belt did not look bad, but won't hurt to leave the new one in there. I can keep the old for an emergency.I was thinking it was the throw out bearing, but was hoping for the simpler fix.Is there a Chiltons repair manual available? Not Chiltons, but I found several different manuals available online.
vibedrivermatt

Re: (vhoward1122)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

there are service manuals for the 09 but you have to get the ones published by GM and they're expensive. Its P/N GMP09S. I wonder if theres books for the matrix that may be cheaper?you can get it at a few places, this site www.helminc.com has them as mentioned here looks like they cost $200 now. I beleive they were $150 when I bought them a few years ago. They're pretty handy to have for all your driveway/DIY repairs, although theres parts of the books that I'll never use like the extensive section on body repair. about the gear oil I've also changed mine at around 12000 miles. It was a valvoline synthetic 75w 90. Its a Gl-5 oil but I also like the idea of switching to a redline or amsoil Gl-4. My car is not making chirping noises.
mr.clutch

Post by mr.clutch »

The throw out bearing in a modern car is hydraulic.Which means it will make contact with the pressure plate at all times ( it is known as a constant run T.O.B.) it must make contact because it has to maintain hydraulic pressure just like your brakes. So under load (clucth pushed in) the bearing will shut up.At rest it can sit an chatter. As for changing it out. Not to bad of a job just might not be one for a novice.
vhoward1122

Post by vhoward1122 »

Well, I changed the transmission oil. My manual said to use GM's synthetic manual transmission oil or 75w90 GL5 gear oil. So I bought Red Lines 75w 90 GL5 gear oil. It is synthetic. The chirping noise is now not so loud, but it is still there.Do you think this throw out bearing problem is an emergency? That I need to have it fix right away? Or will it be good until August of this year?
star_deceiver

Re: (vhoward1122)

Post by star_deceiver »

Put a 75-90 GL5 in mine once before... started grinding... ended up not being able to shift into 3rd without double clutching. Changed back to a GL4 and haven't had any problems.Hopefully yours works out better then mine did.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
mr.clutch

Post by mr.clutch »

vhoward1122 You said the car only has 20k on it. So my guess is it is not driven much so to wait and push it to Aug. or beyond is possible . BUT..... A bearing weather it be a rod ,wheel ,or in your case a throw out bearing starts to fail (ie. chatter, grind ,or clearance) it is a gamble as to when it will sieze to bing able to do its job. In short those famous words "do you feel lucky" Just for your piece of mind you should stop at a shop an let a mech. take a listen just to confirm that it is what it sounds like.GOOD LUCK.........
vhoward1122

Post by vhoward1122 »

I think I will go to a shop. I heard the noise yesterday, but didn't hear it today. It is only 3 miles to work and I also ride a motorcycle on the days it don't rain. The price of gas keeps going up, I will just have to break the bicycle out.
vhoward1122

Post by vhoward1122 »

The shop I go to can get me in on Monday. He said it was most likely the pilot bearing (throw out bearing).