2006 Vibe exhaust leak between muffler and mid pipe connection

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ktt88

2006 Vibe exhaust leak between muffler and mid pipe connection

Post by ktt88 »

Hey guysI hit something going along the highway last night and now the midpipe has totally disconnected from the muffler. I see that its pretty rusty there and I need to know what parts I need to fix thisThanks!

Attached files
jayman2009

Post by jayman2009 »

IT can be welded up if you take it off. I see that all the time at work and my buddys shop. Its a weak spot in all systems.
PEDALS

Re: 2006 Vibe exhaust leak between muffler and mid pipe connection (ktt88)

Post by PEDALS »

I had the exact same thing happen to me today. I took the two screws and springs out and took a look and i'm thinking of just cutting off the nonbroken fitting and connecting the two pipes together with sometype of flex connector whatever canadian tire has. Any ideas out there if this would work??
oldponcho

Re: 2006 Vibe exhaust leak between muffler and mid pipe connection (ktt88)

Post by oldponcho »

I realize this is an old post and ktt88 has probably fixed his exhaust by now, but I thought I'd share how I fixed the same problem.I made a new flange and welded it to a short section of pipe (see picture). Then bolted the flange joint back together with the old bolts and a new gasket, and secured the pipes together with a traditional muffler clamp.It worked great and only cost a few bucks.

Attached files
Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow

Re: 2006 Vibe exhaust leak between muffler and mid pipe connection

Post by Hope2BuyVibeTomorrow »

I am facing this exact issue right now , damn east coast cars mnever stop rusting ... the shop wants $250 CAD to fix it , parts and labor

They said to weld a piece of pipe will put too much pressure on the front due to lack of flexibility , and eventually it will crack again ....

I don't know how to weld , but I found this part on ebay , just not sure if that's the piece I actually need :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2003-2004-PONTIA ... 0-&vxp=mtr

That + 60 dollars in labour should be quite a bit cheaper .... ?
2004 Pontiac Vibe Base Automatic Orange on Gray Cladding
GenVibe Rules!