has anyone here done a muffler delete?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
rAERRK

has anyone here done a muffler delete?

Post by rAERRK »

ive been thinking of replacing the muffler with a straight pipe exiting on the right side instead of the left. wondering if anyone has done this and what the effects were, if any.
Kari

Re: has anyone here done a muffler delete? (rAERRK)

Post by Kari »

The effects will probably include angry neighbors and perhaps angry police officers.
GenVibe Global Moderator
03VibeOttawa

Re: has anyone here done a muffler delete? (Kari)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

^^I'd second that. The cabin drone would irritate most passengers, too.I'd remove the resonator from my Magnaflow CB if I didn't need my car for work (showing up at clients' places, etc.)
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
rAERRK

Re: has anyone here done a muffler delete? (Kari)

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by Kari »The effects will probably include angry neighbors and perhaps angry police officers.really? ive heard it on other cars and i dont think itd be that loud, especially since the rest of the exhaust is stock.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

How would you deal with the (then-empty) notch in the bumper?Actually, my step-moms Corolla had a hole rusted through the pipe right before the muffler, and it sounded like a little rice-burner (that is the technical term which we used, by the way).
rAERRK

Re: has anyone here done a muffler delete? (KITT222)

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »How would you deal with the (then-empty) notch in the bumper?Actually, my step-moms Corolla had a hole rusted through the pipe right before the muffler, and it sounded like a little rice-burner (that is the technical term which we used, by the way).now theres an issue. i never actually noticed there was a cutout in the bumper
vit

Post by vit »

I'm guessing lost back pressure would be a problem too.
joshuaeb09

Re: (vit)

Post by joshuaeb09 »

Right now the only 2 things on my exhaust are the factory cat and a magnaflow muffler. The Header deleted the precat and I removed the resonator. It can get pretty loud and when the engine hasn't fully warmed up I get some rasp in there. I can only imagine how ricerish it would sound without a muffler. It be like driving around in a weed wacker... rofl
2009 Silver Vibe GT AutomaticI/H/E/Unichip @ 93octaneMy Garage : http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=43521" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Gone (Sold)
2005 Expedition Limited 2WD|4R75W 4SPD Auto|3.73 Gears|I/E|5Star Tuned@ 91|3" Lift/Level - Current Ride
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Not on the Vibebut no mufflers on the 78 or the 85. IMHO Lake pipes would look good on a Vibe
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
mac99d

Re: has anyone here done a muffler delete? (TONY TAT2)

Post by mac99d »

How about like this, and I still have the greddy EVO2 muffller so I have the best of both worlds.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TONY TAT2

Re: has anyone here done a muffler delete? (mac99d)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Them electric cut outs are the way to go When the wife cuts me loose from these home improvement mods.I'll have some free time on my hands.I LOVE doing exhaust work
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I thought there was a clip on youtube of a Vibe w/no muffler - but this was all I could find.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZ7h4xRaZU
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
rAERRK

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by rAERRK »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »I thought there was a clip on youtube of a Vibe w/no muffler - but this was all I could find.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBZ7h4xRaZUthere really should be a rule against uploading cell phone videos to youtube
lil_mahoot

Post by lil_mahoot »

i did it with my 05 vibe GT and to me it sounded great, had a deep tone at about 3000rpm, keep the resonator on it tho. one thing i didnt like was the sound at 70-80mph cuz it sat right at 2800rpm and it was very load in the car. but anywhere around town going 45mph and lower was great almost silent when you hit your speed you wanted. then when you get on the gas it speaks up. the cops didnt like it tho so i threw on a flo-pro super v muffler, quite a bit quieter and i dont like it so im replacing my resonator with a thrush glasspack and seeing how that sounds. and it really isnt notice able that there is a notch on the left side bummper when you run it out the right, but my vibe is black.
lil_mahoot

Post by lil_mahoot »

Just installed a Thrush Glasspack in place of my resonator and it sounds great with the flo-pro super v muffler