Custom Air Intake???

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
christo

Custom Air Intake???

Post by christo »

Hi,I searched on the forum, read a lot and, the conclusion : the only after market air intake for the 05' Vibe is the COSMO RACING one...So, I want to make my own Custom SRI...For that, I need the dimensions to install the MAF on the tubing...But, if you tell me that Some MATRIX Air intake will fit my VIBE w/ only few modifications, I'll be interested!If you ever try to make your own, you can put picture here...When my design will be final, I will show you!Thank you!
bassplayaz06

Re: Custom Air Intake??? (christo)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

here's what i did... it's the top of the air box, flipped upside down to fit the filter.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
Salsa Guy

Re: Custom Air Intake??? (christo)

Post by Salsa Guy »

The intakes are the same between a Matrix-Vibe. The same engine and throttle body. You need to consider the year and engine type (1zz or 2zz).
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
christo

Re: Custom Air Intake??? (rmckinjr)

Post by christo »

I got a '05 Vibe Base, with electric throttleBut I'm not sure that all Matrix/Vibe are the same....
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Vibe = Matrix as far as engine and intake!
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

So whats wrong with the Cosmo?
christo

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by christo »

Nothing, but I don't want to pay as much if I can get the same result by using ebay parts!
bassplayaz06

Re: (christo)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

$150 for a CAI, $115 or so for a SRI, it's worth it to just buy one than make one and mess up the systems.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

^X2 Go buy an ebay intake. The main concern is the MAF seal. If you get that the nyou shouldn't have a problem. Or you can add a KN filter and call it a day (it's about $50). Then there is the dryer hose mod.....
christo

Post by christo »

But what about the the throttle body diameter???? I want te be sure that it will fit before ordering!
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr »^X2 Go buy an ebay intake. The main concern is the MAF seal. If you get that the nyou shouldn't have a problem. Or you can add a KN filter and call it a day (it's about $50). Then there is the dryer hose mod.....Whats a dryer hose mod?
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
Salsa Guy

Re: (MotoAce51)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by MotoAce51 »Whats a dryer hose mod?You REALLY want to know. It's also called a poorman/redneck/hillbilly CAI. Basicly you fine some flexible metal duct that will fit the Throttle Body to Stock air box. Then will from Stock Air box to behind the fender. You need to add a high flow filter for any results. But by the time you do all that with all the cost you maybe $40 away from a Cosmo CAI
bassplayaz06

Post by bassplayaz06 »

yeah, that cosmo CAI don't like to fit much... expecially when they send you the wrong one.
christo

Post by christo »

Ok guys... I will explain my mind...I really want a SRI... but I searched on the forum... and results that there is only 1 SRI that can be installed on the 05' Vibe : the COSMO...I want to know if I'm right or wrong...If I can purchase a matrix SRI on ebay (sorry guys but I plan to go back University next fall)So : is the COSMO RACING SRI the only one for my Vibe???
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Cosmo is the cheapest! The only problem you may run into is where the breather port to the valve cover is located. Is it connected to the Throttle body or connected to the intake hose (just before the throttle body). If it's connected to the TB your OK. If it's connected to the Intake hose you'll need to put a $10 breather filter on it and call it good.
christo

Post by christo »

So, I can buy a cheap SRI on ebay for Matrix XR? And it will work fine and be easy to install on my Vibe???
MotoAce51

Re: (christo)

Post by MotoAce51 »

Quote, originally posted by christo »So, I can buy a cheap SRI on ebay for Matrix XR? And it will work fine and be easy to install on my Vibe???yes.. But you will see more results with the CAI... For the price difference, Id go with the CAI....
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
christo

Post by christo »

As I read, with a SRI, you increase the MPG... And reguarding our climate, I prefer the SRI
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Oh no not another CAI vs SRi debate. The SRi is easier to install and maintain.
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr »Oh no not another CAI vs SRi debate. The SRi is easier to install and maintain. ^ Can't argue that at all. Sometimes I wish I had the SRI because of that part.