CAI vs RAI

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
MotoAce51

CAI vs RAI

Post by MotoAce51 »

I hate opening a new post with the same question as a million other people started but I have a few questions that scanning through all the old posts wern't really answering.I am trying ot decide between the CAI or the RAI. Specifically the Wepon R Dragon CAI, or the K&N Tornado RAI. As you know I have the 04 Vibe Base and I am looking for a little mileage or performance, preferably both but yeah. Anyways, the main question I have is the CEL coming on. Does that typically happen on the CAI? How do you shut it off? Would winters hurt a CAI (salt, dirt, moisture)? Since the ram air hood is not necessarily in the future would a RAI even be worth it since it wont be getting air directly?
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I assume SRI=RAI. A CAI is more intense install, harder to maintain and has more issues with CELs from what I understand. The SRI (Short Ram Intake) is much easier to install and maintain. Also the performance difference between the 2 is almost unmeasureable. Maybe a slight edge to the CAI. Most SRIs can be installed in an hour with a 15 minute beer break and they are cheaper than the CAIs. The main thing is getting a good seal on the MAF.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

Yeah your right to assume SRI = RAI. I was thinking Ram Air Intake, not Short Ram Intake. I put a SRI on my old Grand Am, and my old lumina just because. It sounded different and that was it. But for the Vibe I would prefer to see whats better before I go forward. On my other cars there was a measurable difference between the 2 costs but it seems like the Vibe has both parts about the same. I have no issues installing either hence why I want to go with whatever is thought to be better. If its not measurable maybe I'll do the SRI.
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I would think you would have more problems with the CAI with water/dirt and etc. Also many people have has issues with CELs using the CAI. Not so much with the SRIs though. I may get beat around the head and shoulders over the SRI vs CAI performance. I saw some calcutions somewhere about the performance between the 2 and it wasn't much of a difference. The SRI is more prone to heat soak but I'm sure there are ways around that also.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...do the math and you'll discovery that RAI only becomes effective if you're doing faster than 100 mph already!
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

CAI usually sets off the CEL because the car is taking in more air than the factory. In order to get the most of it (and the only way I found for mine) was to get engine management. I had a Unichip that was programmed for it. Not sure what's out and available now. Othewise, ignore the CEL.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

I installed an Injen CAI on my 03 XRS shortly after I bought I bought the car brand new. Drove it for 8 years with never having a single CEL. Go CAI.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Injen is the only CAI I am aware of that didn't cause a CEL. pretty much every other one did. Do some research and you will see: CAI and CEL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Salsa Guy

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by Salsa Guy »

Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »Injen is the only CAI I am aware of that didn't cause a CEL. pretty much every other one did. Do some research and you will see: CAI and CELNot being a smart aZZ but why you think that is? Too much air or too cool or combination of both?
keithvibe

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by keithvibe »

It was more of an issue for the DBW cars... They tend to run lean on WOT causing the CEL.I haven't heard it being much of an issue with the cable driven version.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
AKLGT

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by rmckinjr »Not being a smart aZZ but why you think that is? Too much air or too cool or combination of both?it was always CEL running too lean. so more so the air flow than the cool air, it could have been both.had an 03 VGT with TRD CAI and that netted a CELhad an 04 Vibe 5 spd with Injen CAI and no CEL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

i've run cosmo with no cel for 3-4yearsI'm currently running aem with no CEL been running it for 8months now.:shrug:
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ya, weird. I dunno. It went away once I got the Unichip.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Herb

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »i've run cosmo with no cel for 3-4yearsSame hereQuote, originally posted by AKLGT »ya, weird. I dunno. It went away once I got the Unichip. Didn't you run the TRD CAI at the time?
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
AKLGT

Re: (Herb)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Herb »Didn't you run the TRD CAI at the time?Quote, originally posted by AKLGT »it was always CEL running too lean. so more so the air flow than the cool air, it could have been both.had an 03 VGT with TRD CAI and that netted a CELhad an 04 Vibe 5 spd with Injen CAI and no CEL
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Go CAI, and it so happens that I am selling my Injen CAI...
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Herb

Post by Herb »

I must have been half asleep when answering earlier.Anyways, I seem to remember that only people with the TRD CAI had CEL problems, though I don't remember why that was the case
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
keithvibe

Re: (Herb)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Herb »I must have been half asleep when answering earlier.Anyways, I seem to remember that only people with the TRD CAI had CEL problems, though I don't remember why that was the casemaybe because TRD is overpriced and poorly made? lol
06pvibe

Re: CAI vs RAI (MotoAce51)

Post by 06pvibe »

First of all, my advice is to stay away from anything that says "Weapon R" on it. They are cheaply made junk.The filter is junk. The dragon has rivets that hold the inner and outer tubing together and they have been known to have issues and their connectors are neoprene rubber not silicone rubber so they too have a short lifespan.In general, no matter what aftermarket intake you chose, you should be aware of a loss in low-end torque. Also in general, CAI's are a better choice for the street because they offer better mid-range power, however slight, and a mentioned before at the cost of low-end power.SRI's are better for top-end power, again however slight.If you must spend your money, go with a name-brand or highly recommended brand. Injen CAI, AEM CAI, K&N CAI/SRI (convertible,) or the site favorite, the Cosmo SRI are probably the best overall, and in that order too.Just my opinion based on many hours of reading the hype as well as customer reviews. And BTW: I have been running a Mazdaspeed badged AEM on my Mazda3 for several yrs now, and if I hadn't gotten a pretty good deal on it in the first place, I would've felt that I had wasted my hard earned money.In other words my opinion is, "U payz ur money, U takes ur chances." But certainly stay away from Weapon R intakes.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
MotoAce51

Re: CAI vs RAI (06pvibe)

Post by MotoAce51 »

Thanks for the insight on the weapon r. I read somewhere they were one of the better brands and they seemed to be cheaper so I was interested. Maybe ill look into another option. I like the sound more than anything, and its a bummer losing it in low end but the mid would be nice. Top end isnt really a big deal. Maybe Ill pick up that Injen for sale on here. (as long as I can get the money, Just found out my fiance is pregnant)
DiveNut

Re: (SlammedNiss)

Post by DiveNut »

Intalled mine 6 years ago...have not had a problem.
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)