2003 GT HELP PLEASE A Poor man power increase & fuel mpg boost Questions

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
supervibe

2003 GT HELP PLEASE A Poor man power increase & fuel mpg boost Questions

Post by supervibe »

I have 100,000 on my GT. I have a K&N replacement filter, an a SRS chip (dont know if it works or not) which i believe just alters the air flow on the mass Flow . ANY HELP would be great ! EXHAUST ? is it just a sound good improvment or is there an actual power /mpg difference? Headers for the GT ? Are there some advailable & do they help? What about a throttle body spacer?? Is there an power chip? sorry I'm old school of the sixtys & seventy's where it was duel exhaust, headers intake manifolds carb's, and cam shafts... This is all new to me...... HELP HELP
KITT222

Re: 2003 GT HELP PLEASE A Poor man power increase & fuel mpg boost Questions (supervibe)

Post by KITT222 »

A cheap way to increase your gas mileage is to make you car more aerodynamic. It can be as simple as placing some cardboard (most use coroplast) over your grill to help. Ecomodder.com is a great source for boosting MPGs cheaply. Lots of friendly guys over there.
supervibe

Re: 2003 GT HELP PLEASE A Poor man power increase & fuel mpg boost Questions (KITT222)

Post by supervibe »

No S**T ? it wont over heat either???? Thats a cool thought thanks
KITT222

Re: 2003 GT HELP PLEASE A Poor man power increase & fuel mpg boost Questions (supervibe)

Post by KITT222 »

Yep, no fooling. I blocked my whole grill, but will need to take a look at it once it warms up around here. Here's a link to a guy with a Vibe base.http://ecomodder.com/forum/sho....htmlSomewhere in this thread he did a lower grill block for the summer. It was just two small, oblong holes.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

A SRI or CAI will help improve performance and possibly MPG. SRI's are easy to install. CAI's are a bit harder. There are some piggy back ECUs that can also help with the performance. The "Chip' you are using for the MAF is certainly an interesting debate on how it works and possible mal-effects. The Toyota Matrix XRS is a sister car to the Vibe GT (2ZZ engine) they also shares the same engine, drive train and electronics as the Corolla XRS. You can look on MatrixOwners.com or 9thgencorolla for more information about the 2zz engine. When cleaning the MAF (or throttle) or installing an SRI/CAI disconnect the battery first (it's good practice anytime working on a car)! It can save you about $100 or more in repairs (voice of experience).
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
supervibe

Re: 2003 GT HELP PLEASE A Poor man power increase & fuel mpg boost Questions (rmckinjr)

Post by supervibe »

SRI or CAI --- What are these? Sorry I have no clue ( told you I was old school) LOL LOL
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Short Ram Intake, Cold Air Intake
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
Herb

Post by Herb »

Replacing the stock exhaust with a catback exhaust system can also improve on performance.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
supervibe

Re: (rmckinjr)

Post by supervibe »

The SRI is there much impovement over a K&N stock filter, with the stock filter box modified? I have the intake tube drawing air from the hole where the CRI would go through. I thought it best to do this in the weather here in SD a CAI underneath were they instal them would plug with snow>>>>
Salsa Guy

Re: (supervibe)

Post by Salsa Guy »

The SRI is pretty simple and you'll remove the stock air box. Improvement over K&N drop in? Yes some, or you could do a poor man's CAI which basically you add a larger diameter hose to the air intake of the stock air box. The stock "snorkle" is somewhat restrictive