power fluxuates

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
supervibe

power fluxuates

Post by supervibe »

I dont how or why, 03 GT there are times with the same weather temps. on the same day it drives "normal" shut if off run into the store come out start it up an bingo (removed) it has power up the wazoo it is VERY AGRESSIVE. at times like this I wouldent be afraid to challenge a mustang, I may still get beat but it would give them a run for their money. then shut it off and it's back to normal?? whats up?I have a K&N and SLR performance chip ( which just modiflys the mass air flow). Any body else have this issue? running 91+ fuel
ou.grizzly

Re: power fluxuates (supervibe)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Safety measure in place so no damage is done to the vehicleCar is not warmed up, it is limited on RPMs, therefore you get NO LIFTCar is warmed up, it is not limited on RPMs, and you have LIFT
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
supervibe

Re: power fluxuates (ou.grizzly)

Post by supervibe »

This is with the engine completly warm. per example> I drive 50.00 miles to walmart It runs like normal, I shop for 15 min leave to go somewhere else. I start it up and start driving suddenly i notice dang it's perky, so i punch it get that gt rpm up . and (removed) it is like a freaking beast till I shut it off and then it may be like that agian or back to normal.. But when it is in that mode> It is unbelievable the amount of snap that little engine puts out. Just wish I could keep it there 24/7
Herb

Post by Herb »

The GT has 2 cam profiles. When the engine is warm and you rev it above 6000RPM it kicks into the second cam profile which gives you the extra punch you are experiencing.We call this effect 'lift'Because you have an 03 GT, it's possible it may develop a problem with the lift bolts. Refer to http://www.users.on.net/~nbenjamin/tech/liftbolts/ for replacement directions.It's a fun car for sure, I've had mine for 8 years and still enjoy it!
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
bassplayaz06

Re: power fluxuates (Herb)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

how do you know if the bolts are bad?
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
Herb

Re: power fluxuates (bassplayaz06)

Post by Herb »

The Toyota TSB states:"In some cases, owners of 2000 – 2002 model year Celica GTS vehicles equipped with the 2ZZ–GE engine may complain of an intermittent slight loss of power and/or variable lift function at engine speeds over 6,000 rpm under high load. This can be caused if the bolt securing the rocker shaft separates, allowing the shaft to rotate in its bore. This rotation, when it occurs, can cause misalignment of the oil feed passages to the rocker shafts, resulting in a lack of variable lift operation and low power at higher engine rpm."This would also apply to the 2003 Vibe GT
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by supervibe » SLR performance chip ( which just modiflys the mass air flow). Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes and remove this. Then go for a spirited drive!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
bassplayaz06

Re: power fluxuates (Herb)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

so, if i suddenly have low power in Lift, then these have sheered? i hardly ever hit lift. just once a month or so on the back road going into the neighborhood or getting on the highway.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483