P0741 Causing Check Engine Light

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
macboi05vibe

P0741 Causing Check Engine Light

Post by macboi05vibe »

help my 05 Vibe with 84k miles is giving an error code: P0741. This has something to do with the TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH. No transmission problems or acceleration problems (besides it being a 4 cylinder.) Anyone know if this is serious or just I reset it and forget about it?
keithvibe

Re: P0741 Causing Check Engine Light (macboi05vibe)

Post by keithvibe »

What it means is that the ECM cannot detect a return current from the TCC solenoid. If that's the case the TCC may not be engaging when it should. You probably won't notice the problem other than worse gas mileage. It may be simply that the connector has come loose - check the wiring to the transmission. Worst case the TCC solenoid has become faulty - it should be a straightforward repair
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
macboi05vibe

Post by macboi05vibe »

Well that's good news I was hoping my transmission was not going out. Could this problem have something to do with the ECM recall?
macboi05vibe

Re: P0741 Causing Check Engine Light

Post by macboi05vibe »

Just a follow up I ended up having my transmission rebuilt. The error code was real and it drove fine for 2 years with that light coming on and off. I would suggest having a transmission shop look at your vibe if you are having this warning light come on.
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

macboi05vibe wrote:Just a follow up I ended up having my transmission rebuilt. The error code was real and it drove fine for 2 years with that light coming on and off. I would suggest having a transmission shop look at your vibe if you are having this warning light come on.

Thank you for the update. How much did the rebuilt tranny cost?
Wichard9018

Post by Wichard9018 »

We own a 2007 Vibe with over 180k in miles.[/b][/b] The check engine light kept coming on, then goes off, then comes back on again., then goes off, ect. I joined HUM by Version and installed the OBC module during an "off" period. When the light came back on I got an email telling me it was a P0741 DTC along with an couple explanations of what would cause it. Well worth the $15 per month for this poor-boy OnStar. My best bet was the damaged wiring harness. But I wasn't completely sure so I did and Internet search and found GenVibe.com. Hello everyone :-) I plan to have Firestone suck out the old transmission fluid [and replace it] for starter and have them inspect the cable. They won't touch the transmission. Any additional suggestions?
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

Wichard9018 wrote:We own a 2007 Vibe with over 180k in miles.[/b][/b] The check engine light kept coming on, then goes off, then comes back on again., then goes off, ect. I joined HUM by Version and installed the OBC module during an "off" period. When the light came back on I got an email telling me it was a P0741 DTC along with an couple explanations of what would cause it. Well worth the $15 per month for this poor-boy OnStar. My best bet was the damaged wiring harness. But I wasn't completely sure so I did and Internet search and found GenVibe.com. Hello everyone :-) I plan to have Firestone suck out the old transmission fluid [and replace it] for starter and have them inspect the cable. They won't touch the transmission. Any additional suggestions?
Yes that would be a good start. If the TCC is getting stuck off a fluid change could well free it. I doubt it is getting stuck on - if ti were you would keep stalling when coming to a stop.

These kinds of error codes usually indicate the control signals do not match up with the observed real time parameters. The ECM does not have a direct way to monitor the engagement of the various clutches and bands in a given gear so it has to infer some of this information from the control signals issued to the solenoids and the actual observed parameters such as rpm, road speed etc.

If the fluid change does not work you can have a transmission shop remove and clean out the TCC solenoid. That's a straightforward procedure. Worst case is that the TCC has somehow broken internally - that would require a rebuild. Changing the fluid will give you a clue - for example metal debris in the fluid. Maybe ask to inspect the fluid yourself when Firestone does the work.
'07 Vibe
Wichard9018

Udate: P0741 Causing Check Engine Light

Post by Wichard9018 »

Followed the YouTube video for changing the fluid and filter on the transmission. Used the AMSOIL universal syn recommended by the video and their web site. Cleared the P0741 code with my OBCII reader. Had the wife drive the car for a week then took it from Houston to lake Charles to go gambling. So far so good. She came out ahead $150 at Delta Downs.

FYI = Autozone sells a torque wrench for $25 that will do the 48 inch pounds required when reattaching the the transmission oil pan.
danielems

Post by danielems »

I had the same CEL on my 2005 Base Automatic with 205k miles. I changed the transmission fluid and filter and the light went away. It was pretty easy t to do.

The Toyota dealer had Type-IV transmission fluid for $5 a bottle (capacity is 3.2L), and the filter and gasket were only about $15.

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I wanted to encourage anyone who might be trying to solve the same problem.
PattyM

Post by PattyM »

danielems wrote:I had the same CEL on my 2005 Base Automatic with 205k miles. I changed the transmission fluid and filter and the light went away. It was pretty easy t to do.

The Toyota dealer had Type-IV transmission fluid for $5 a bottle (capacity is 3.2L), and the filter and gasket were only about $15.

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but I wanted to encourage anyone who might be trying to solve the same problem.
Thanks! I am battling this same code. Just had a remanufactured engine put in (207k miles when it went) and now can’t pass smog test in Calif without this P0741 code staying off after clearing the code. Former owner says it’s been an intermittent problem for several years but he never noticed any degradation of performance. He just reset the code and went on his way. So - Is the solenoid located inside the tranny? Can it be removed and replaced without going through an entire transmission rebuild? I have a 2004, base model. To complicate matters, today (two days after picking the car up from mechanic who installed the engine) I had to call for a tow as it wouldn’t start after being driven 100 miles. I was trying to put enough miles on it so it could be smog tested. I cleared the code, drove around and then stopped at the market. Car was shut off for about ten minutes but when I came back out it cranked fine, sounds like no fuel getting to the motor. Don’t know if the two can be related? Am hoping after putting a new motor in for 2K that it’s not a lost cause. Its a lot to invest in a car that old if I now need a rebuilt tranny...sigh...will try getting it flushed/new filter if I get the fuel issue sorted out.
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

PattyM wrote:
danielems wrote:I had the same CEL on my 2005 Base Automatic with 205k miles. I changed the transmission fluid and filter and the light went away. It was pretty easy t to do.

Thanks! I am battling this same code. Just had a remanufactured engine put in (207k miles when it went) and now can’t pass smog test in Calif without this P0741 code staying off after clearing the code. Former owner says it’s been an intermittent problem for several years but he never noticed any degradation of performance. He just reset the code and went on his way. So - Is the solenoid located inside the tranny? Can it be removed and replaced without going through an entire transmission rebuild? I have a 2004, base model. To complicate matters, today (two days after picking the car up from mechanic who installed the engine) I had to call for a tow as it wouldn’t start after being driven 100 miles. I was trying to put enough miles on it so it could be smog tested. I cleared the code, drove around and then stopped at the market. Car was shut off for about ten minutes but when I came back out it cranked fine, sounds like no fuel getting to the motor. Don’t know if the two can be related? Am hoping after putting a new motor in for 2K that it’s not a lost cause. Its a lot to invest in a car that old if I now need a rebuilt tranny...sigh...will try getting it flushed/new filter if I get the fuel issue sorted out.
If the P0741 is in fact due to a faulty solenoid and it needs replacing - yes it should be accessible without pulling the transmission or doing a full rebuild. The solenoids are located in the valve body and should be accessible by dropping the fluid pan. Should be easy enough to do a continuity check on the coils through the wiring convectors. The fact is is intermittent may make it harder to troubleshoot - but simply changing out the solenoid and cleaning all the wiring contacts may be enough to resolve. Not a major job to change out the solenoid if needed.

The non-start sounds like a different issue.
'07 Vibe
goat69

Post by goat69 »

The dreaded P0741 code. Here's my story. 4 years ago I took my 2006 Vibe to a GM shop (bad decision) and they fixed the problem however it came back after a year. They replaced the trans lock solenoid, new filter and gasket and 4 quarts of ATF fluid. All at a cost of $1,209.96. As I said bad mistake on my part going to the dealer. So after a year, the engine light came back on, same code P0741 but this time it was intermittent. Fast forward 4 years later and time for a smog and the stupid light will not go away. So after watching a few YOUTUBE videos I decided to tackle the job my self. Went to O'Reilly's Auto parts - total costs of the same parts I bought from the dealer - $160.75 which included tax! It took me less than 2 hours to resolve my problem, no more engine light, got the car smogged and saved me over $1000!!! Needless to say I was ripped off royally by the dealer. Do it yourself buddy.. it's really really easy.