engine trany swap, s/c or turbo ?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
hapagan

engine trany swap, s/c or turbo ?

Post by hapagan »

hey. dad got some money from a lawsuit and offered me any expensive mod on my car. so idk what to do either s/c, turbo or engine and trany swap? i always wanted a GT but my dad said i was to young to have a "fast car". so i guess he changed his mind...now which would be better, speed wise of course ? thanks
04 Pontiac Vibe Gray, M+T package Custom Front Bumper Paint5% window tint everywhere except three front windows 12" Pioneer IMPP subPro bend bandpass boxBoss 1600w 4Ch amp6, 6.5 Infinity Kappa 62.9i 450w each
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

i know "fast" is relative, but jeez anyway, ive always wanted to see a turbo vibeedit - and after looking at your profile, you're gonna want to dump that heavy speaker box if you expect to make it faster
hapagan

Re: (rAERRK)

Post by hapagan »

Quote, originally posted by rAERRK »edit - and after looking at your profile, you're gonna want to dump that heavy speaker box if you expect to make it faster Oh yeah thats for sure. right now its just for cruising ya know so im goin with the sound system and **** but im gonna end up taking it out if i get one of these mods.
04 Pontiac Vibe Gray, M+T package Custom Front Bumper Paint5% window tint everywhere except three front windows 12" Pioneer IMPP subPro bend bandpass boxBoss 1600w 4Ch amp6, 6.5 Infinity Kappa 62.9i 450w each
Kamikaze

Re: (hapagan)

Post by Kamikaze »

get some wheels and a lowering kit.if you want to turbo or SC, buy a different car.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Personally, I'd like to see someone replace the pistons, rods and crank in the 2zz to push a good 15:1 compression and 11000rpm... ok back to reality...But you could always just buy this: http://www.crateenginedepot.co....aspx
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

depends on how much money you are talking.The 1.8l SC isnt that "fast" imo. I mean youd probably be better off selling your vibe and getting a HHR SS turbo/manual or a cobalt ss/tc like mine. Then you dont even needs mods beyond the gm stage 1 kit AND the damn things have horrible resale so you can get just a tad used one for like 15k.
Bedlam

Post by Bedlam »

honestly, Vibes are built for efficiency and reliability. Swapping the engine or boosting it or changing the power level "significantly" in any way is only going to kill this type of car. If your dad said in the first place that he doesn't want you to have a fast car, then why would he pay for you to make your slow car faster?? I also have no idea what the lawsuit is for or why the money would randomly go to your car. why would the money get thrown away like that if he really needed it badly enough to sue someone for it?you seem like a young guy. If he's gonna part with the money so willingly, how bout you put it in your bank account for college instead of something that will cost you more down the road to keep the car running.Don't get me wrong, i have heavily modded many of my rides. The ones that were built for performance to begin with. My vibe is mechanically bone stock and it will be that way for as long as i own it. Visual stuff is cool but going crazy with the engine will just end badly on a platform not designed to handle any type of power.
07 1ZZ 5spd Stealth - Sold
03 1ZZ 6spd Shadow w/NAV - For Sale
06 AWD Stealth - Current
07 Magnum SRT-8 - Current
hapagan

Post by hapagan »

No one said he needed the money. lawsuit was a business thing, i get enough scholarships to pay for college for a couple of years. and he got A LOT OF MONEY on that lawsuit. he did said he didn't want me in a fast car but i was 15 back then, 5 years ago, right before i got my vibe, i guess that he thinks i am mature enough to have a faster car now. and yeah i already tried talking him into selling my vibe and getting a mazdaspeed3 (which is what i really really want) but he really doesnt want to idk why. thats why the money is going into mods for my car. i guess i could ask him for a couple minor mods like SRI, lowering springs, maybe the ground effects for it. but i really wanted to do something with a noticeable difference in speed. :/
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

keep the vibe, and since you have a base vibe go S/C.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

northvibe

Post by northvibe »

ya I would just do bolt on mods to the vibe then. Find a SC kit. do the intake, maybe headers. The thing you will notice most is the SC or turbo. I dont think the other mods really make THAT much of a difference. But the problem going turbo or other mods is you are then decreasing the reliability of the car. the SC kit is pretty good at keeping reliability as it did come as an option. not that much psi and conservative tune.MS3 is a great car btw.. I used to have one.
star_deceiver

Re: engine trany swap, s/c or turbo ? (hapagan)

Post by star_deceiver »

2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)