VVT oil filter removal has anybody ever removed it?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
mike48

VVT oil filter removal has anybody ever removed it?

Post by mike48 »

I removed my vvt valve and cleaned it up works fine but a lot of crud on and in it.I now tried to remove the vvt filter, so I removed the bolt and washer and the inside is full of crud.Question ,,where the heck is the filter?I found nothing ,,just the bolt and washer,I started to stick a thin metal curved pick in the hole and some pieces came out that looked like the tip of the filter that seats in the bolt.I have a manual "Haynes" and it shows the filter and bolt,only problem I have is I have the bolt and washer ,,but no filter.Any help would be appreciated,Thanks,Mike
jasonvibe

Re: VVT oil filter removal has anybody ever removed it? (mike48)

Post by jasonvibe »

which engine and year? there are differences between sizes 1.8 vs. 2.4 and GT versions. Also VVT does not funtion on the 1zz till about 4000rpm
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
joatmon

Re: VVT oil filter removal has anybody ever removed it? (jasonvibe)

Post by joatmon »

mike has a 2004 base (1ZZ) I had no idea such a thing was in thereTHis is what the toyota repair manual showsI'd almost expect a filter in there to be more like a screen, but that's just conjecture

Attached files
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...what does the Toyota parts system show the part costs?...interestingly, it is NOT mentioned in the normal maintenance schedule(s) published in any of the Owners Manuals....I agree, probably a metal "particle" filter screen of some sort.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
mike48

Re: VVT oil filter removal has anybody ever removed it? (joatmon)

Post by mike48 »

Yes Joatman your right I have the 2004 base 1ZZ.And it is the Oil Control valve Filter.It costs $12.00 and change at ToyotaI remover the bolt that golds it in and the gasket but the filter itself is stuck in the block.I sprayed some creep in it and that little nub part you see there was coming out in pieces.I spoke to a toyota Tech and he said that i just needed to pick and pull at it and it would loosen up and come out,,he didnt say it would be easy but he said thats the only way to do it.And either I could do it or pay Toyota to do the same thing.So Ipick the filter up tomorrow and I will start to remove the old one tomorrow also.He said my engine would run better alot because if it stuck in that hard it is clogged and at hi speeds it would have problems and I would have bad gas milage (which i do have now).He said it should be a regular part of maintenence due to its effect on the timimg of the valves.Thanks,,MikeI will take pics and post them on how it comes out..
mike48

Post by mike48 »

Joatman,Don't feel bad about not knowing about it,,the parts guy at pontiac said he never heard of such a filter,he went in the back for about 10 minutes and came back and said"Hey there is a filter there!".The toyota guy knew right away what I needed.Sun Toyota on U.S.19 in New Port Richey Fla.No I aint sayin who the pontiac guy was LOL=)
mike48

Re: (Old Tele man)

Post by mike48 »

got the new filter today and removed the old one,not to big a deal getting the old one out.Runs good at high speeds so far idles even better.Going to maybe run some Seafoam thru the oil this weekend and give it a new oil change.Thanks alot guys,,Mike
Old Tele man

Re: (mike48)

Post by Old Tele man »

...if you don't mind divulging, what is the Toyota Part Number for that filter? I'm guessing the wife's '04 Vibe will be needing one soon.
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Interesting, I didn't know this existed. I might have to take a look at mine soon.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
mike48

Post by mike48 »

i believe it is called the "Oil Valve Control Filter".Part # 15678-21010If you are getting low milage per gallon or if your engine bogs down,loses power,at high speeds (over 60 mph ) then this can be the cause,also if you hear your valves clatter this could be your problemDON'T FORGET to remove the vvt valve also and clean it and make sure it sure the plunger goes in and out when you apply current to it.It is considered regular maintenence to check this filter.My symptoms were noisey valves,bogged down and felt like running out of gas at high speeds,or felt like no spark engine was dying at high speeds and bad gas milage.I cleaned and tested the VVT valve and replaced the filter and all my problems are now gone. I now have 30 mpg and great smooth interstate driving.
mike48

Post by mike48 »

By the way the filter cost me $13.52Cheap considering the problems it can cause.
mike48

Post by mike48 »

By the way,,the 2004 base engine does not have an rubber"O" ring it only has a flat metal washer you will see it on the bolt when you remove it.
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...thanks! I would've been pulling my hair out looking for thing (that didn't exist)!
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
mike48

Post by mike48 »

Yes,I figured i should say that as I looked around all over for about a half an hour for that "rubber"O" ring that never existed.toyota parts told me that bit of info
dgekiere

Post by dgekiere »

i just wanted to add the procedure for the gt 2zz engine. i have been wondering for a while if the gt was the same but it is not, it is in a completely different location

Attached files RockerArmOilControlSolenoidValveFilterReplacement.doc (86.5 KB) 
2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
dont13link

Post by dont13link »

Probably a silly question, but how often should that filter be changed, and since it's not listed as regular maintenance, is it something the warranty would cover?
hextavo

Re: (dont13link)

Post by hextavo »

Awesome thread, thanks for this one, I will be adding this to my list of things to do!!! I have around 170+ on mine right now, I think if your car runs pretty good, maybe up to 200k ? Hahah thats just me completely guessing, I will just be doing it at "preventative maintenance" and anything for 12 bucks that can help me squeeze another 100k and I will be happy!
lovemyraffe

Re: (hextavo)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Just in case someone wants to do this in the future, you do NOT have to remove the Valve Cover to change the VVT oil control valve filter.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Ordered one today from the GM dealer part number for the 1zz is 94859438 Price was $9.29
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Here's a link to some more info on this filter (photos, procedure), along with some other maintenance items (throttle Body cleaning, MAF cleaning, PCV cleaning, etc.):Corolland ForumsCougar Vibe
wallyuwl

Post by wallyuwl »

Quote, originally posted by mike48 »DON'T FORGET to remove the vvt valve also and clean it and make sure it sure the plunger goes in and out when you apply current to it.Anyone know how to do this? I'm guessing it is an additional thing vs. just changing the filter...
Burkett1974

Post by Burkett1974 »

Sorry for the Noob question, but does this apply to the 2AZ-FE engines as well? I can not find anything on the net regarding this filter or where it is located on the 09 gt. Any help is appreciated.
Burkett197409 Vibe GT
Burkett1974

Post by Burkett1974 »

To answer my own question and to help anyone else out that may have the same question, the part number for the OCV filter from Toyota is 15678-28010. It took going to 4 different Toyota dealer before anyone could provide that tidbit of info and I could not locate it anywhere on the net, so there it is. Hope it helps someone! *Edit* this is the part number for the 2.4L 2AZ-FE I4 engine in the 09 GT
Burkett197409 Vibe GT
mysticbluevibe

Re: (Burkett1974)

Post by mysticbluevibe »

Hello all, with milage just at 24k on this 2009, 2.4 Vibe, stick, manual windows, no auto locks,,, the milage has dropped off by 10mpg to about 18mpg from 28-32mpg... over the course of the last week. I cleaned maf system, changed air filter. Thanks so much for this thread. It looks like VVT school has arrived. Does anyone have a part no. I'm assuming location will be approx the same as earlier models but am asking now about that. VIN# 5Y2SL67039Z445687Model 2SL26.. I'll post part no if I get one from the dealer. thanks all .back soon
2009 VIBE 2.4. Model 2SL26 Manual windows n locks, no cruise. 5speed manual shift. 17'' factory mags. Custom RamAirDONT LET ME BECOME THE MAN I SAY I DESPISE!
mysticbluevibe

Re: (mysticbluevibe)

Post by mysticbluevibe »

update the dealer says 1 week wait on parts...vvt filter gm# vvt filter part no. 19185371 .......seal no# 19185369 Info says it's under warrenty so I'll wait til the parts in them let them try to get a code and see what happens..They want to diagnose it. umsee ya next week.
2009 VIBE 2.4. Model 2SL26 Manual windows n locks, no cruise. 5speed manual shift. 17'' factory mags. Custom RamAirDONT LET ME BECOME THE MAN I SAY I DESPISE!
mysticbluevibe

Re: (mysticbluevibe)

Post by mysticbluevibe »

After reviewing the thread again. disconecting the ground for a reset was something I hadn't done after cleaning the MAF system. Low and behold!! I disconected /reconected for reset. I ran for approx35miles after a fill up. got gas then and milage IS back to approx 29mpg..! Thanks to all the excellent contributions here. I've no prob having 2 spare filters on the way. thanks again.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I read this thread a while ago, but didnt pay too much attention to it. Now im searching for a bump in my MPG....Perfect timing! If there is a chance it may go up by replacing this filter. Why not??? I did get a small increase when I replaced the stock Densos with the NGKs.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
mysticbluevibe

Post by mysticbluevibe »

Where's the best place to find a mechanical parts /engine diagram for 2009 Vibe. 2.4......manual everything.? I've got a VVT filter and seal and don't want to guess which bolt to pull.... Is it approx where the 04' is? thanks for any info..
dgekiere

Re: VVT oil filter removal has anybody ever removed it? (mysticbluevibe)

Post by dgekiere »

2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Are these part numbers, OEM 15678-21010 and GM 94859438, for all first gen Vibes w/1ZZFE engines (regardless of 2WD or AWD)? M_C
dgekiere

Re: (Cougar Vibe)

Post by dgekiere »

found this how to wright up a few days ago. looks like the older gt's have 2 oil control filters.http://au.toyotaownersclub.com...iners/
biodieselrabbit

Re: (dgekiere)

Post by biodieselrabbit »

Just replaced my VVTi oil filter today (base model so no additional VVTLi filter). Thanks for the link dgekiere. The only thing I would add is to remove the oil control valve (the thing immediately above the oil control valve filter bolt) before attempting to get at the oil control valve filter bolt. I have relatively normal hands and had no chance of working down there without the oil control valve out of the way. I guess you could take out the alternator instead but that seems like even more work. Will see if I notice any noise reduction in the next few days.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
cieglo

Re: VVT oil filter removal has anybody ever removed it?

Post by cieglo »

Thanks to al of you for covering this topic.

I'm hoping this solves my low-power, poor mileage, odd bogging-down problems.
Seafoam seems to briefly make things better, but the issue keeps returning.

I just ordered two filters from here: http://parts.olathetoyota.com/2003toyot ... parts.html
For my '03 GT 2ZZ.
part# ...ha! it doesn' have a part# on the webist, just this description: "Mechanical Catalog - 2003 - Toyota - MATRIX
engine, camshaft & timing, variable valve timing, filter Matrix No.2 1.8L, W/HIGH OUTPUT "
cost: $5.45

If you go to the 2003 Matrix XRS section there is a great pats breakdown diagram showing the two filter, item#32, and where they are. They are both listed as the same part number. I hope that is correct before I tear mine out on Saturday.
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
biodieselrabbit

Toyota part numbers from the packages:
15678-21010 Filter, Oil Control (the one in the front of the engine)
90430-14009 Gasket (washer for the bolt, the existing one was really squished)
Total Cost: $12.23
2003 Pontiac Vibe
dgekiere

Post by dgekiere »

cieglo wrote:Thanks to al of you for covering this topic.

I'm hoping this solves my low-power, poor mileage, odd bogging-down problems.
Seafoam seems to briefly make things better, but the issue keeps returning.

i cant say if this was the fix for my 03 gt's low power because i found other things wrong as well when i did mine and did it all at once. cieglo take a look at the warm air intake valve on the back of the air box if you still have an air box and not a cold air intake. when the car is off the door should be open and when running it should be closed. mine was stuck closed from corrosion and restricted the amount of air being let into the box.

hope this makes sense.

p.s. only the gt has this valve. the base models i have looked at don't have it.
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

dgekiere wrote:
i cant say if this was the fix for my 03 gt's low power because i found other things wrong as well when i did mine and did it all at once. cieglo take a look at the warm air intake valve on the back of the air box if you still have an air box and not a cold air intake. when the car is off the door should be open and when running it should be closed. mine was stuck closed from corrosion and restricted the amount of air being let into the box.

hope this makes sense.

p.s. only the gt has this valve. the base models i have looked at don't have it.

Well, my problem didn't go away with the OCV filter replaced, PCV valve replaced, serpentine replaced and throttlebody cleaned out. I do have a CAI, so it's not that trapdoor thing, but that's for the suggestion. Could it be those little hoses I removed from the OEM air box and now are plugged into each other somehow? But that doesn't make sense, does it?

I saw elsewhere a post about replacing the manifold gasket as leaks in that may be an issue. I think I'm going to get a code reader, find out why my CEL light is on and see where that leads me.
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Do you think I could possibly take care of this myself? The flashiest things I've ever done are a short air intake and brake pads/rotors...I'm hesitant to try this, especially since I can't ask Dad for help.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
biodieselrabbit

I would say that other than the tight squeeze this job is straightforward. Read the link that dgekiere posted from toyotaownersclub.com along with the rest of the posts here and go at it.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

biodieselrabbit wrote:I would say that other than the tight squeeze this job is straightforward. Read the link that dgekiere posted from toyotaownersclub.com along with the rest of the posts here and go at it.
Thanks. I also looked at this:
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had to use some of my mom's least-favorite tweezers to pull out the filter. I found that taking out the timing OCV assembly helped me get to everything more easily. This might be helpful to those of you who were not gifted with incredibly tiny hands.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

I can confirm that local grease monkeys don't know anything about this filter. I just came back from a shop that looked decent (I lost my regular mechanic -- long story. :)

The owner actually had two vibe previously but never heard of this filter. More then that, he could not even locate it once I informed him of it's existence. :)
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Just replaced mine today. Practically like surgery without moving anything out the way. It would have been much easier if I would have moved the alternator & oil control valve out of the way. My filter looked great after 143K & could have left it in there. I could see right through it. I guess if you havent done regular oil changes then that filter would be clogged & be full of debris....anyhow I know its done & wont ever have to do it again as long as I own this car LOL.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
biodieselrabbit

Mine also looked practically brand new after ~150,000 miles but I replaced it anyway. I kept scrutinizing it trying to find something and possibly convinced myself there were a few holes partially blocked, although I am pretty sure that was just in my head. But as you said, it helps me sleep at night knowing it is not a problem.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
aranlar

Post by aranlar »

I did this a couple of days ago. I removed the valve first and after removing the one bolt that holds it in, I found I had to pry quite a bit to slide the valve out from the engine block. I didn't replace it, just cleaned it. I didn't remove the alternator or Intake manifold so getting to the VVTI filter was pretty tight work. I didn't replace it either, just a thorough cleaning. The biggest lesson I learned from this was to stuff some flatly folded paper towels down in the space below both the valve and filter to catch anything you may drop, otherwise it will drop somewhere below the manifold and will be a huge pain to retrieve. I say this because I dropped the filter bolt as soon as I threaded it out and spent 10 frustrating minutes with a magnet retrieving it.