MOD LOST/ FAKE WASTEGATE (BOV)

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
BLACKEDOUTVIB

MOD LOST/ FAKE WASTEGATE (BOV)

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

So im am starting to mod my 04 Abyss MANUAL TRANS Vibe (painted brushguards) hehe the grey looks horrible IMO! But anyway i have an Alpine Ipod head unit, Eclipse 2000W amp, and 2 12" Kaption subwoofers in there. So im leaping onto performance journey now. Here is my list of modifications id like to do, and would ask if people can give me links to ebay, or online stores that sell these products cheap/ but well built.(im 16, and work 16 hours a week lol)1.Loud SRI, cant do cold air it rains to much where i live.2. Exhaust (mufflers and/or whole systems cant decide yet)3. Window tint3. MAYBE a tunerSo you must be wondering where this FAKE WASTEGATE comes into play from the title...Well i think itd be kind of silly to turbo the 1zz-fe UNLESS I found a cheap setup, but i love the sound of my buddies STi's, and Evo's wastegates. Is there a possible way there is some FAKE wastegate or electronic wastegate i can put on my car so when i SHIFT (yes its manual automatic way to girly IMO) it makes the swoooooosh sound.Please and thank you in advance for reading/replying. Pics of my VIB will be up soon BTW.
BLACKEDOUTVIB04 Abyss Vibe 5 spdCosmo Racing Cold Air Intake Custom Cat-back Exhaust20% Tint All AroundAlpine Head Unit, Eclipse 800w Amp, 2 12" subs ported/neon. Carbon Fiber Shift Knob
star_deceiver

Re: MOD LOST/ FAKE WASTEGATE (BLACKEDOUTVIB)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »1.Loud SRI, cant do cold air it rains to much where i live.2. Exhaust (mufflers and/or whole systems cant decide yet)3. Window tint3. MAYBE a tuner1: Pick one, there's a bunch out there and they'll all be louder then the stock intake!2: When I had my Sunfire I used a $25 cherry bomb muffler (the wife hated it) and it served what I wanted for loud!3: Do it!!! 4: Tuner as in unichip or tuner as in a kick___ stereo system?Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »So you must be wondering where this FAKE WASTEGATE comes into play from the title...Well i think itd be kind of silly to turbo the 1zz-fe UNLESS I found a cheap setup, but i love the sound of my buddies STi's, and Evo's wastegates. Is there a possible way there is some FAKE wastegate or electronic wastegate i can put on my car so when i SHIFT (yes its manual automatic way to girly IMO) it makes the swoooooosh sound.Personally I think this is a bad idea, save up for the full turbo because you'll be flamed to no end by EVERYONE with that fake sound.I believe all the answers you need on this can be summed up here: http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/s...age=2 Language is a little strong...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

1. bull crap. i live 20min east of you and i have a CAI. even during those huge rain storms we had a few weeks ago i was fine. i didn't drive through big puddles and when i had to i made darn sure it was low enough to get through. we even had rain saturday and driving on the highway was no issue. the filter is behind the foglamp. if you are concerned you can get the filter cover to help protect against water. it won't protect from deep puddles but should be ok for mist and etc.2. dunno. working on that myself.3. yes, make sure you check illinois new(as of october last year) tint law. we can tint all side windows now. i'm working on saving $$ so i can get mine done too.4. profit?? sorry, not sure what you are looking for.as for the turbo sound. don't do it. don't have the sound if you can't back it up. judging from the mods you have planned you want a racer/ricer. fight the temptation. this isn't a racing car. mind you, i do have these same mods in place or planning on it, but they have reasons. i drive a lot of highway and the pickup on ramps just wasn't there. i needed it to be peppier. the CAI helps but it still isn't where i feel comfortable. the muffler will be for more pickup, not sound. tint, i carry expensive stuff in my car at times. while i usually remember to tuck them away in a pocket/storage thing or under a seat, i forget. tint will help a bit. i don't plan on going more than 30% of light blocked.
None. Vibe is gone.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: MOD LOST/ FAKE WASTEGATE (tribalman)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

On the CAI, I plan on getting a Bomz Racing CAI.BlueCrush says their thin Aluminum structure makes for a nice loud intake. Plus they only cost like $50
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

tribalman.. i must have had my information wrong being told to me we should meet up somewhere local cause i wanna check out how the CAI affects the sound. I dont want it to be ricer sound, just more throatier when pedal to floor. And the tint would be because my car is black/black and it gets HOT inside with windows up and i have subwoofers which have the privacy shield over but doesnt allow the noeons to show through. And psycho can you send me a link? THANKS
BLACKEDOUTVIB04 Abyss Vibe 5 spdCosmo Racing Cold Air Intake Custom Cat-back Exhaust20% Tint All AroundAlpine Head Unit, Eclipse 800w Amp, 2 12" subs ported/neon. Carbon Fiber Shift Knob
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Forget a fake wastegate - what you need is the SoundRacer V8!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XAC-BvUyo
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

please please please don't add a fake sounding BOV. Yes, you will be the laughing stock of all forums with turbo's because I would surely post it on NASIOC, IWSTI, LEGACYGT.COM and other sites I belong to for pure amusement of RICE. spare yourself! as others said, save up and do it right or don't do it at all.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

i think its funny you would post that up to make fun of me? how old are we?i was just thinking if it was possible, god sakes, i just wanna have some fun?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

if you want to put a fake BOV in your car, then I'm most certainly older than you. But it's your car. Do as you will, however, if you want to have fun, then buy a car with a turbo. I'm sure you can find a used older WRX where you're at, even a Golf or turbo Jetta, lots of cars out there in the $12K and under range with turbos.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
vibenvy

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by vibenvy »

He's 16 guys and gals, what do you expect ?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

icanhaswalmartrice?
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »So im am starting to mod my 04 Abyss Try hunting down and swapping in a 2zz from an 03!!!
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

AKLGT please leave you have nothin nice to say.Its a vibe dude im just havin fun i got the car for free. so im just having fun with it. let it be it was just an idea.
ponta2147

Re: (BLACKEDOUTVIB)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »AKLGT please leave you have nothin nice to say.Its a vibe dude im just havin fun i got the car for free. so im just having fun with it. let it be it was just an idea.Lol, AKLGT's got 1000x as many posts as you and has been here since 2003, doubt she's leaving any time soon. But it is kinda silly to put fake anything on a car, you'll just get dumb looks. I second the opinion that a CAI will get you that more awesome sound, and also have some added functionality (I have the K&N short ram on my '09, to avoid all the "rain induced" problems) it adds a tiny bit of hp and sounds great.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
AllWheelVibe

Why not get the Prius sound option and program it?

Post by AllWheelVibe »

Instead of getting some kind of wastegate, why not get one of the new Prius optional noisemakers? They are coming out in Japan, and maybe in the US, and is an amp and speaker that makes some kind of space-age artificial sound to warn pedestrians that there is an otherwise silent Prius nearby. $148. Then hack it to make any kind of sound you want. A 5.0 L V8 sound would be kinda cool, or maybe the sound of my Honda V4 Interceptor... Its your Vibe, have fun with it! (My Vibe replaces my 1995 Mitsu Eclipse Turbo AWD which actually did have a wastegate...)
vibenvy

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Lol, AKLGT's got 1000x as many posts as you and has been here since 2003, doubt she's leaving any time soon. But it is kinda silly to put fake anything on a car, you'll just get dumb looks. I second the opinion that a CAI will get you that more awesome sound, and also have some added functionality (I have the K&N short ram on my '09, to avoid all the "rain induced" problems) it adds a tiny bit of hp and sounds great. I agree with ponta. You definitely don't want to be disrespecting the members that have been around here a long time, or any other members for that matter, because that's not how GenVibe works. I hate to say it, but AKLGT has a very valid point. Doing something like a fake blow off valve is just plain goofy. You will get made fun of to no end. Ultimately though it's your Vibe and you'll be the one to get made fun of, not us, so if you want to do it go for it, but you've been pre-warned about the outcome .I also agree with ponta about getting either a cold air or short ram intake. Seeing as you live in South Elgin and obviously get snow and rain and all, I would recommend the short ram so you don't have to worry about hydrolocking your engine. I too have the K&N short ram on my '09 GT and I love it. It gives the engine a great sound (definitely not one that will get you made fun of ) and it has increased my gas mileage by 1-2 mpgs, plus as ponta mentioned, it does add a few horses as well. It's the best, cheapest, easiest place to start engine-wise.You definitely need to come hang out with the Chicagoland GenVibers. We'll set you straight on what to do and what not to do !
ponta2147

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »You definitely need to come hang out with the Chicagoland GenVibers. We'll set you straight on what to do and what not to do !And we're not horrible people, promise!
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ou.grizzly

Re: MOD LOST/ FAKE WASTEGATE

Post by ou.grizzly »

Blackedoutvibe,Welcome to the forum and it is always good to see people get creative with their vehicle. SRI or Short Ram will cost you some decent money, especially if you are making/working on a high-schooler's income. I remember those days, it took me months to buy something. Heck, it still takes me months to afford anything to be honest.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »AKLGT please leave you have nothin nice to say.Its a vibe dude im just havin fun i got the car for free. so im just having fun with it. let it be it was just an idea.the thing about forums is when you post things or ideas, you will have replies and opinions. Why else would you be posting? We've all been there, wanted to mod our cars on budgets. Not everyone has baller money or mom and dad to go to for an exhaust, air intake, etc. However, please note that some of us have been here a very long time, we've been down the road you are wanting to take. We might actually even know a thing or two about those mods you're wanting to do as well. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I wanted to spare you though from what would really happen, the flaming should you go through with adding a fake BOV. I am quite nice, polite, etc even when I think something looks completely ridiculous because it's your car. However, your friends with the STI's, WRX's and Evo's most likely will not. So, before doing something that we (as a former STI (2) and LGT owner - look at my signature) consider extremely ricey, I would hate for you to be the end of that giant online laughing stock. To play devils advocate, I am pointing out that if you cannot handle even my slightly sarcastic post, then really reconsider posting about fake mods, and don't tell your turbo'd friends. There are more beneficial mods you can do for the money like a rear sway bar, intake, performance springs, better tires and/or rims, etc. Do something that makes your car handle better or do something better.And don't knock the Vibe. It's a great car. If it came with a 175 hp AWD CVT engine in it, I'd have bought that instead. It's an extremely versatile car.Good luck in your modding endeavors, young one! *you may also want to do a search for Blue Crush's Mods on a budget thread
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

yeaa it was the adhd kicking in (removed). i just want it to sound good you know? i know it wont go fast so im not gonna drop a bank load on it. Can someone send me some links for Short Ram intakes and exhaust systems that are fairly cheap! i only work 16 hours a week, at 8.25 an hour (removed). and pay for gas insurance so budget friendly.Sorry for blowin up on you AKLGT but whyd u get rid of your subies?
vibenvy

Re: (AKLGT)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »Can someone send me some links for Short Ram intakes and exhaust systems that are fairly cheap! i only work 16 hours a week, at 8.25 an hour (removed). and pay for gas insurance so budget friendly.As AKLGT said, start with Blue Crush's thread. I'm not of too much help when it comes to the older Vibes as I'm not nearly as familiar with them as I am with the 2009s & 2010s, but Brian (Blue Crush) really knows his stuff so definitely start with that thread .
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »yeaa it was the adhd kicking in (removed). i just want it to sound good you know? i know it wont go fast so im not gonna drop a bank load on it. Can someone send me some links for Short Ram intakes and exhaust systems that are fairly cheap! i only work 16 hours a week, at 8.25 an hour (removed). and pay for gas insurance so budget friendly.Sorry for blowin up on you AKLGT but whyd u get rid of your subies? turbo = money pit dumped $15K into my STI last year.. fully built motor, full build, etc. giant waste of money I will NEVER get back. so I downsized. I went with something that gets superb fuel economy, AWD, nice and cush with leather and gets me from point A to point B. I still have access to my friends GTR for autocross, so I get my fast fix there.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

ya i hear ya..so can you guys link me to a couple things that you either own or have heard good things about.Decent Short ram that makes the car louder not ridey but throaty....A decent muffler also pretty throaty so when im on the gas in 3rd you can actually hear the car....and if someone could inlighten me on chips/tuners for thse kind of cars thatd be great sounds like a cool mod to have. (im only familiar with diesel programmers! Thanks and im about to get my genvibe.com stickers so when im rollin around the chi town burbs you can stop me fursure! Thanks!
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Here's some info on the unichip: http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...age=1
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

1. Injen CAI or K&N Typhoon SRI2. MAGNAFLOW... that is all.3. Unichip (look for one used - they're spendy and you have to send it in to be programmed) Do this last once you have the rest of your mods4. SUSPENSION UPGRADE!!!! Get some better springs/coilovers, rear (and/or front) sway bars, strut tower brace, better rims/tires and upgrade those brake pads!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

Ok i dont want to spent more then 120 dollars on SRI.Link to the mmuffler/exhaust system please....And links to the suspension upgrades...I may be replacing my subs/speakers first so the perofrmance mods may have to wait... but please link me anyway
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

do a SEARCH and see what others have done and what works for them. Also, keep an eye out in the classifieds sections for used parts. I would never spend over $100 for a SRI. Used is just as good provided the filter is in good shape and cleaned.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
bassrocker032

Post by bassrocker032 »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »I may be replacing my subs/speakers first so the perofrmance mods may have to wait... Take that comment to a civic forum and oh how the flaming would flow. First of all, it's your car, i'm just expressing my opinion as we all do on this forum which is a reason why it's here.If you already have subs, why would you choose to spend money towards that when you could have both performance and system rather than having a banging system as you watch the car you're racing speed away? Just food for thought.
2005 Vibe Base 148k milesK&N Air Filter in stock boxCustom Painted interiorCustom Painted Engine BayAftermarket driving lightsMuch more to come http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42124
ponta2147

Re: (bassrocker032)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by bassrocker032 »If you already have subs, why would you choose to spend money towards that when you could have both performance and system rather than having a banging system as you watch the car you're racing speed away? Just food for thought. Maybe he likes audio more than racing? Who knows...
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Maybe he likes audio more than racing? Who knows...I know I do!!!!
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

*shrug*different strokes for different folks
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
bassrocker032

Post by bassrocker032 »

Yeah, true dat. But my point was if you already have a system, why not have an ok system with nice performance mods rather than just a bad *** system and bone stock everything else. His car though. I should be getting my CAI soon along with possibly a replacement intake manifold or headers, I haven't rock, paper, scissored to see yet, lol.
2005 Vibe Base 148k milesK&N Air Filter in stock boxCustom Painted interiorCustom Painted Engine BayAftermarket driving lightsMuch more to come http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42124
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

i want to do both performance and audio but i have a low budget. My dad actually suggested for me to put red rims on my car, and i thought itd look killer. So next purchse is rims, then SRI
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

http://www.raceinspired.com/p-....aspxIs this a good price for lowering springs?I mean i could just bring my car to my school's shop and switch out the springs right?
areles

Post by areles »

Are these red enough?

Attached files
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

god yes there red enough those are like ON FIRE!Imma get sum nice rims thos i dnt want it lookin cheesy
areles

Post by areles »

BOV,Those are my winter steelies that I just had powdercoated for something like this.

Attached files
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

NICE lol.Do you know of somewhere i can get some red rims decent looking for around 100-150 a rim?On tirerack.com the only red ones they had were 325 a piece!
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

Would these look sick or what? Remember i have AByss vibe without the plastic looking brushguards mine are painted abysshttp://www.raceinspired.com/p-....aspx
areles

Post by areles »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »NICE lol.Do you know of somewhere i can get some red rims decent looking for around 100-150 a rim?On tirerack.com the only red ones they had were 325 a piece!Remember, these are my winter wheels! $200 for four wheels and normally, $140 for coating the four wheels. I had to pay $180 'cause I screwed them up slightly trying to take the paint off in my garage.Red aftermarket wheels? I don't what size you want/need? Try:http://www.wheelsnext.com/whee...d.htmh ... nt...er=20
areles

Re: (areles)

Post by areles »

BOV, Your bolt pattern should be 5x100, I think. For other makes with that size, try:http://www.adaptitusa.com/referencebook.htm.webloc
vibedrivermatt

Re: (areles)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

I have the fake BOV and it's so like totally rockin!! It's like the best mod evaaarr!!
06pvibe

Re: (vibedrivermatt)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »I have the fake BOV and it's so like totally rockin!! It's like the best mod evaaarr!!You're kidding, of course. Remember please that we are dealing w/a 16 yr old here who may not understand your cynical sense of humor. Now me, I too have cynical humor so I fully understand.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Hey now, when I was 16 my fave source of humor was The Onion. Some 16 yr olds can be cynical.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

The Onion??? I love the Onion!!!8.4 Million New Yorkers Suddenly Realize New York City A Horrible Place To Livehttp://www.theonion.com/articl...18003/(Hell, when I was 16 I thought I'd have my '84 Civic wagon for years and drive it into the ground... 501000kms and 4 years... I had the stupidest ricer lights on that car, but man it was cool!!! )
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

hahah god im losing some respect for the Fake BOV lol, whatever lolBut yea fursure does anyone know if those springs will work?
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »But yea fursure does anyone know if those springs will work?They say 03-08, they'll work!
BLACKEDOUTVIB

Post by BLACKEDOUTVIB »

will this improve my handling a little bit make me feel more in contact with the road?
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by BLACKEDOUTVIB »will this improve my handling a little bit make me feel more in contact with the road?Definately!Any time you can lower the center of gravity the handling will improve. That's a no-brainer. Of course the downside to that is that spring rates will be up (by nature) as well. And by nature again, you will be limiting suspension travel.And w/o a proper 4-wheel alignment afterwards, you are likely to increase tire wear, and/or bump steer.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM