Auto Tranny Torque Converter Fluid

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
rhkrqyr

Auto Tranny Torque Converter Fluid

Post by rhkrqyr »

Hi,Got a 06 base, would like to know how to replace the ATF from the torque converter?Thanks in advance.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

you either do a flush, which I personally dont recommend. Or you do the drain and fill about 3 times to get 90% of the fluid changed OR you can disconnect one of the lines from the trans oil and run it to a bucket, but you need to keep adding more oil in to replace...kind of more work than I wanted to give, so I just did the drain and fill.
djkeev

Re: Auto Tranny Torque Converter Fluid (rhkrqyr)

Post by djkeev »

In my humble opinion, and I've voiced it frequently, is that you should NOT use a trans (or engine) flush service. Any type, any retailer, that may be presented to you as a "wonderful" service...... Pass.I myself do the multiple drain and refill via drain plug. The first time I pulled the pan down and cleaned the oil screen and examined the pan residue.Examining the pan is a must do. It can be read and it will tell you the general health of your transmission. What deposits are in there? Are they large piles of "gold"? Is the magnet four times it's size with metal particles? Both of these are NOT good signs. You will have a little bit of gold, normal wear.You will have a little metal on the magnet, normal wear.I then refilled, ran it until the next engine oil change and dumped the trans oil at that time. Refilled and did it twice more. My oil now looks good and smells good. I'll replace about 3 qts at every other engine oil change for the rest of the time I own the car.I admit, I am paranoid about auto trans oil changing.I was also a tad pissed off when I dumped the oil at 50,000 of easy driving because it was black and stank!! The book and dipstick say 100,000! DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVICE of 100,000 miles. I think you will regret it.Good Luck.I also suggest using the Toyota T IV and don't go mixing brands in there. Toyota may currently have other serious issues but I'll stick with their factory oil for now.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
lovemyraffe

Re: Auto Tranny Torque Converter Fluid (djkeev)

Post by lovemyraffe »

IMO and from my personal experience and advice from my late f-i-l, a drain and fill is all that is necessary. It will get enough of the fluid out to be effective. I don't believe in doing a "flush" of the system.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
rhkrqyr

Post by rhkrqyr »

Thanks guys, I'll do the drain and fill few times to get all the ATF replaced.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

oh and word of advice, go to toyota and get the ATF for the same year matrix...its considerably cheaper from toyota.
rhkrqyr

Post by rhkrqyr »

Thanks, Northvibe.I compared the price today, toyota - C$8.25, GM - C$12.40.Does anyone know is there a reusable tranny gasket for the vibe?GM price is $60.