Transmission-Torque Converter Fluid Capacity

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Skyblue

Transmission-Torque Converter Fluid Capacity

Post by Skyblue »

Own a 2004 base model Vibe with an automatic transmission,engine code 8. My question is does the whole amount of fluid the transmission including the torque converter add up to the manuals stated 3.2quarts, or is the 3.2 quart amount just what drains with pan and filter removal. GMC dealership service invoice amount for quarts used in flush and fill was 12.
zionzr2

Re: Transmission-Torque Converter Fluid Capacity (Skyblue)

Post by zionzr2 »

i think the 3.2 is what is removed with pan drop and drain.not a complete fluid amount.I did a drain and fill only and it was just shy of 3 qts.
lovemyraffe

Re: Transmission-Torque Converter Fluid Capacity (zionzr2)

Post by lovemyraffe »

3.2 sounds like what I put in mine after I dropped the pan. 12 quarts for a flush isn't unreasonable either (but I'm not a fan of "flushing").
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Skyblue

Re: Transmission-Torque Converter Fluid Capacity (lovemyraffe)

Post by Skyblue »

Thanks for the replies- - the 12qts was amount from a Dec.2006 fluid change and just wanted the dealer to "own up" on his use and charges for fluid. The recent January 2010 fluid change according to my long time trans. mechanic yeilded about 7qts,no flush done and I do not know how he got out the xtra fluid. Another post on genvibe if I am correct mentioned about 7qts being brought out too without a flush.
lovemyraffe

Re: Transmission-Torque Converter Fluid Capacity (Skyblue)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I don't remember the exact amount I put in, but it was 3.2-3.5.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage