How problematic is the AWD Viscious Coupling?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
tsubaru

How problematic is the AWD Viscious Coupling?

Post by tsubaru »

I currently have a 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with 200,000 miles on it, and am thinking about a newer car. I don't trust the 1999-2003 2.5 liter Subaru engines (before my OBS I had a '01 Legacy Outback; the head gaskets went on it.$$$) AWD is a must.I am wondering really how prevelent the Vicious Coupling problem on the AWD models really is. Has there been a recall? A letter from the company in the past? I am really favoring a 2003-2004 Vibe AWD as my next car, and would like some realistic advice. How would I check one out when test driving one? Do you Vibe AWD owners trust them enough to recommend one to a many-year Subaru owner?My questions come out of the other posts here under "all wheel drive". People report their vicious coupling breaking and being really expensive to fix.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I dont think its a issue at all. There was maybe 1 awd issue I remember reading about a while back. But the awd system in the 1zz vibe is very solid. awd vibes from that range is soooo hard to find up here! I couldnt find one in MN that was in a reasonable price range.I test drove a 2010 forester a couple months ago...I did not like its awd system. I think you will like the vibe it will just not be as fast as your subie's
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I bought mine new in may '04 and now have 62K miles and zero problems with the awd system.
mspalmer

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by mspalmer »

I have an '05 AWD with 65,000 miles on it and have had no problem. However, I changed the fluids in the rear transfer case and rear differential at 45,000 miles so that could only have helped. So far, I've only had 1 warranty repair (oxygen sensor) in the 5 years.
2005 Platinum AWDMoons and TunesXM RadioLLumar Window TintingWeathertech ventshauling my Taylor 410 w/Fishman pickup and Gibson SG guitars
keithvibe

Re: (mspalmer)

Post by keithvibe »

No issues at all with mine
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.