Charcoal canister attachment

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
h.scorpio

Charcoal canister attachment

Post by h.scorpio »

Anyone know what this thing is. I've been having problems filling my tank since I bought my 06 Vibe used last month. I decided to take a look underneath and found this filter box attached to the charcoal canister. It looks like a rock hit it and it had been collecting dirt and gravel road dust for some time. One end goes to the charcoal canister and I think the other goes to the fuel filler tube. Any way I can bypass it ? No check CELs so far.

Attached files
h.scorpio

Re: Charcoal canister attachment (h.scorpio)

Post by h.scorpio »

This where one end of the hose goes to:

Attached files
star_deceiver

Re: Charcoal canister attachment (h.scorpio)

Post by star_deceiver »

I believe the thing in the second pic keeps the air in the fuel tank at a constant pressure/vacuum.Wrap the thing in the first pic with duct tape! (Yes, I know the sensible thing would be to hit the wreckers and get a new one...)
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
h.scorpio

Post by h.scorpio »

Well the filter was packed with dirt (like everything else on this car. #$%$ gravel roads! So I decaked the dirt so the filter is at least visible. Went to fill up with gas and low and behold, the pump doesn't click off after 5 seconds. Woohoo. I found a Matrix tsb that I think shows it as being an 'atmosphere port' which should mean when you fill the tank with gas, the air should go out that tube. But since it was clogged I think the air was trying to go out the filler tube. So I think I'll either clean out that filter and go the duct tape route or get an in line fuel- filter of some sort and tape it in there. I'd rather not spend $400 on a new canister assembly. Apparently you can't get that piece separately which seems silly considering its located down low where rocks are flying and its fully detachable from the canister unit itself.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Hit the junkyard and get one man... That is a vacuum system, hence the CEL codes... Duct tape is great, but it deteriorates over time and won't hold vacuum... Best thing you could do is to replace it and then make a rock shield for it..
farmerboy1971

Re: Charcoal canister attachment

Post by farmerboy1971 »

I have the same trouble with my 2009 Vibe 1.8l We live on a gravel road so it gets a lot of dust and stones. I have replaced it a few times and it's expensive! I had a rubber shield put on to stop stones but there is still dust. I heard that if you put a shop vac bag over it wont suck in as much dust. I don't know where it sucks the air from though. Anyone know? Where should I put the bag?

If you live on pavement then this is likely a non issue. I drive about 15000km a year on gravel.