Bypass/Removal Of Governor?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
houseofbugs

Bypass/Removal Of Governor?

Post by houseofbugs »

I was curious if anyone know how to bypass or remove the governor on an 2005 Vibe with the 1.8L 1zzFE engine? I know e-manage does that but I am strictly looking to just remove the governor.~Tim
PlatinumVibe08

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (houseofbugs)

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

Perhaps the most effective method would be to have the Illinois state senate vote to remove your governor.
2006 Lexus SC430 White Gold Crystal
2010 Lexus RX350 Matador Red Mica
2013 Lexus CT200h Starfire Pearl
cp_stunna_2011

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (PlatinumVibe08)

Post by cp_stunna_2011 »

no seriously i want to know too has anyone done this?
Baby Blue
jasony0423

Post by jasony0423 »

I'm about to sound old here... Why would yo want to remove the governor? I promise, it's more than the governor keeping you from reaching 200 mph in your Vibe.
Vibr8tr

Re: (jasony0423)

Post by Vibr8tr »

As I recall (at least on my 2004), the gov. was set at some rediculous high number like 130, or 125..... I tried a few times, and I never once hit it. The vibe is drag limited to 118 I believe, I will have to look it up to verify. I know at 110-115 it pretty much quits accellerating, and you would need a good 3-4 mile stretch to get past that. I think before the govoner comes out, there needs to be some engine mods, and definate areodynamic changes.Tops speed of my 2004 Neptune..... 114, even the video on my myspace page shows me fighting for the 110 mark, and that was a mile and a half strech.
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
cp_stunna_2011

Re: (Vibr8tr)

Post by cp_stunna_2011 »

wat about with any dort of perfomance mods, intake, turbo/super charger? and i got mine up to 110 no prob...
Baby Blue
snoops

Re: (jasony0423)

Post by snoops »

Quote »I'm about to sound old here... Why would yo want to remove the governor? I promise, it's more than the governor keeping you from reaching 200 mph in your Vibe.Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by houseofbugs »I was curious if anyone know how to bypass or remove the governor on an 2005 Vibe with the 1.8L 1zzFE engine? I know e-manage does that but I am strictly looking to just remove the governor.~TimI know how to!!! Trade it in for a GT, Vibe GT= no governor. And I believe 125 is the Vibe's governor limit, but I must sound a warning as well... the tires aren't meant to go over 100, I believe, the Vibe just wasn't meant to go that fast.I hit 115 in my 2006 base.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
L5K

Post by L5K »

I've had my 03 GT for a few months now and only have ever gotten up to 80... I just don't get out and...stretch like I used to do.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
Vibr8tr

Post by Vibr8tr »

I still say you are going to be drag limited more than anything.... you can get a supercharger, or other form of power booster, but as was stated, these cars were just not meant for a top speed of any kind.HOWEVER, the governor on most modern cars is all computer and can be reprogrammed. It's not liek the old cars, or golf carts, or lawn mowers, where it was a mechanical governor that kept the engine from spewing out on the ground. I am not sure if our ECU can be reprogrammed or not. Or if you would have to get a performance ship, but to answer the question...... it is all in the computer. There is no way to just go in and remove it.
MSN: jjbova@hotmail.com - Yahoo: jjbova - Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/jjbovaSee My Vibe at Cardomain.com
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I had a 04 base 1zz and I hit the gov at 120-125 all the time. The way to remove it was this aftermarket tuber box thing. It was for a corolla and costed $200+ so I didnt feel it was worth it. The vibe took way to long to reach 100-120 so meh wasnt worth it imo.
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

I'm sure the engineers chose that governed speed for a good reason. Although these cars MAY have the ability to go that fast or faster under some conditions, you can be sure it wasn't a high priority for the design team on cars like ours. These cars are designed around economy and practicality. For high speeds like that - buy a car designed for them and take it to the track!I used to frequent the j-body organization site when I had my Sunfire - and if anybody brought this up it would immediately get removed. It's just not a safe idea for yourself or anyone else unfortunate enough to be nearby.I'll admit that 15-20 years ago I may have made some silly decisions as well - and fortunately I didn't damage/injure/kill anyone else or myself. I suppose I could consider myself "lucky" - but that's not always the case. Just go by any auto wreckers and check out some of the carnage - and ask yourself if it's worth it.Of course, a lot of people just say I'm getting "old" - but I don't agree. I've just put staying alive a little higher on my priority list...Okay I'm done...John
cp_stunna_2011

Re: (j42.snyder)

Post by cp_stunna_2011 »

i like your points ^ well said
Baby Blue
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Somehow I knew this would turn in to a bit of a flame thread.bugs I told you in Im that there are legal reason why no one will really tell you in an open forum how to disable it because of possible repercussions from a lawsuit that is filed because you were in an accident at a high rate of speed and it's traced back to this board because someone here told you how to do it, regardless of if you think you wouldn't hold anyone responsible for your actions. Someone on your behalf may though.I would suggest that the thread end here because there isn't going to be an answer to your question.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Kid in Florida gets on a forum to ask about top performance of a BMW...http://www.m5board.com/vbullet....htmlA BMW crashes on runway after getting up to 120mph, killing five inside, this is the thread where the members realize that it's the same kid that was asking about performance...http://www.m5board.com/vbullet...11545Unless you are trained at these speeds and are on a race with other people who know what they are doing, it is best not to play with these kind of speeds.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
PlatinumVibe08

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (VforVIBE)

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

Driver of BMW in fatal crash sought Web advice on making it go fasterhttp://www.ocala.com/article/2..._NEWS Very tragic.
bodhi_tree777

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (PlatinumVibe08)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by PlatinumVibe08 »Driver of BMW in fatal crash sought Web advice on making it go fasterhttp://www.ocala.com/article/2..._NEWS Very tragic.I read through the first few pages of that and I can't get past how some foolish parent would lavish a $75,000, 500hp car on their teenage son. Of course he's going to want to make it go fast. People who zip around in their cars and puff each other up on car forums sometimes forget that just because your car can do something, doesn't mean that you can handle doing it.I'm pretty sure that I'll be buying my daughter the safest, slowest vehicle I can find when the time comes.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
DrunkenMonster

Post by DrunkenMonster »

That's not always a good thing, the slower your car the more time it takes you to get out of the way of the idiots.
2005 Vibe Base with M&TKenwood KDC-MP342UAvital 4103 Alarm/Remote StartK&N Panel Air Filter, Removed Silencer, TB Coolant Bypass1998 Jeep Cherokee UKFlowmaster Super 44Cobra 25 LTD CB 2 JL Audio 10W0's / TMA 500
star_deceiver

Re: (DrunkenDixie)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by DrunkenDixie »That's not always a good thing, the slower your car the more time it takes you to get out of the way of the idiots.That's true but only to a certain extent. My bike has a top speed of 118km/h (if I'm lucky, with no headwind), and the easiest way to get rid of an idiot is to let them by. Trying to keep an idiot behind you will mean driving way faster then you want, and then you become the idiot tailgating others just to keep that first idiot behind you.At 5000 rpm in 5th gear my 2009 1.8L Vibe reaches it rev limited top speed of 185km/h. Could it go faster? Probably, but since the top speed of the car is the same (I believe) as the speed rating of the stock RS-A's I see no point it trying to blow a tire or fire a piston through the head while trying to see what speed 6400 rpm in 5th is like. You wanna go faster, spend $3K on a used crotch rocket!!! (People leave nice skidmarks on the pavement from wiping out on those things!!!)
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Here in Maryland we've had a number of Governors I wish we could have bypassed. Most notable was Spiro Agnew, who was Nixon's vice president until Agnew resigned in 1973 as part of a plea bargain on tax evasion and bribery charges.
bodhi_tree777

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (joatmon)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »Here in Maryland we've had a number of Governors I wish we could have bypassed. Most notable was Spiro Agnew, who was Nixon's vice president until Agnew resigned in 1973 as part of a plea bargain on tax evasion and bribery charges. crafty use of the bold text
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
djkeev

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (bodhi_tree777)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »I read through the first few pages of that and I can't get past how some foolish parent would lavish a $75,000, 500hp car on their teenage son. Of course he's going to want to make it go fast. People who zip around in their cars and puff each other up on car forums sometimes forget that just because your car can do something, doesn't mean that you can handle doing it.I'm pretty sure that I'll be buying my daughter the safest, slowest vehicle I can find when the time comes. I live in a lavish area. It is amazing what parents purchase for their offspring to drive. I and my wife both work with these parents and children as part of our jobs. I've noticed that often, but certainly not always, it is a way of buying love from a child you never had the time to parent. They hired nannies and other child care providers to raise their children while they are either at work, taking "care" of themselves or climbing some stupid social ladder.Many of these parents really do have more money than sense.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
star_deceiver

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (djkeev)

Post by star_deceiver »

Like these people? H2, Challenger, and an F650 (I think...)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-en2Vd6gD4I
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »Here in Maryland we've had a number of Governors I wish we could have bypassed. Most notable was Spiro Agnew, who was Nixon's vice president until Agnew resigned in 1973 as part of a plea bargain on tax evasion and bribery charges. (just to keep this joke going) here in illinois we got rid of a Governor. it was nice. xDi have always wanted to remove my governor, but i've never taken my car over 80. only times i've reached that is when i was on the highways way outside of city. other times the max i can do cause of traffic(and excessive amounts of cops out) is 65-70. i also don't trust myself or the car at any faster.
None. Vibe is gone.
GoodVibErations2004

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (star_deceiver)

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Like these people? H2, Challenger, and an F650 (I think...)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-en2Vd6gD4Iif that was my kid so HELP ME GOD id beat him to within an inch of his life. ive worked for every single thing i own and bought every single one of the 8 vehicles ive owned. these little punks that have mommy and daddy spoil them with whatever they want have NO FREAKING IDEA the value of a dollar........ pardon my rant. lol
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
keithvibe

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (GoodVibErations2004)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by GoodVibErations2004 »if that was my kid so HELP ME GOD id beat him to within an inch of his life. ive worked for every single thing i own and bought every single one of the 8 vehicles ive owned. these little punks that have mommy and daddy spoil them with whatever they want have NO FREAKING IDEA the value of a dollar........ pardon my rant. lolno body to blame but the stupid liberal parents. wake up folks, TIME OUTS don't work.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
joatmon

Re: Bypass/Removal Of Governor? (keithvibe)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »Like these people? H2, Challenger, and an F650 (I think...)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-en2Vd6gD4II think that video was staged. Either that or the kid is stupid in addition to spoiled, didn't take the bat to the lights or the glass, just beat ineffectively on the bed of the truck. Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »no body to blame but the stupid liberal parents. wake up folks, TIME OUTS don't work.If they were liberals, they'd have a Prius instead of one of the hummer, F650, or challenger Those must be conservatives in that video AK got rid of their governor too, or more like their governor got rid of them.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I think that video was staged. Either that or the kid is stupid in addition to spoiled, didn't take the bat to the lights or the glass, just beat ineffectively on the bed of the truck. Either way, this video will be brought up at every important event in this kids life. He'll have much embarasment for years to come!!
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

Well after reading through I am thinking it is drag limited as I can only get the vibe up to 110. Thanks anyways guys!
B14CK_H4WK

Post by B14CK_H4WK »

am i missing something here? i don't think the governor was installed on my vibe Ive gone past the gauge b4, i have a base 2004 vibe FWD ill take a pic if you guys want
Vibr8tr

Re: (B14CK_H4WK)

Post by Vibr8tr »

The other thing to remember is after 100+ the Speedo is not very accurate. I know a few have tested it againts various GPS's and such. Something about the Vibe had a spring loaded speedo, instead of computer controlled..... I could be wrong on that part, but I know it was said that after 100 they become very unreliable.
PlatinumVibe08

Re: (Vibr8tr)

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

Quote, originally posted by Vibr8tr »The other thing to remember is after 100+ the Speedo is not very accurate. I know a few have tested it againts various GPS's and such. Something about the Vibe had a spring loaded speedo, instead of computer controlled..... I could be wrong on that part, but I know it was said that after 100 they become very unreliable.Yeah, I've heard this and I think it means that if the speedo shows an indicated 105 mph, you are actually doing about 140.