Tuning my 2005 Vibe

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
houseofbugs

Tuning my 2005 Vibe

Post by houseofbugs »

Hey there. I have a Stock 2005 Vibe with the 1.8L VVT-i Engine. I was looking at getting a little more horsepower out of it (like 15-20) without going to forced induction. What can I do for under 750 to get the job done?~Tim
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Chreck this thread out.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
BlueCrush

Re: Tuning my 2005 Vibe (houseofbugs)

Post by BlueCrush »

$750 will get you halfway thereOption#1) Look Here: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=24144Option#2)Or you could go:IntakeHeaderCatback$650+/-Then save up for:PulliesCamcon (self tune) Or $750 will get you double what you are seeking:Option#3) Nitrous
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

Yeah I looked at that thread and I was actually looking at the Cosmo cold air intake last night. How much gain does a cold air do? Also if I change out my plugs (i have 60K on it), wires, distributor, etc how much difference will that make?Also is this a decent turbo kit?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...t_939
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

the CAI would net you probably 10 at the most, prob around 5 realistically. I'm sure others that actually have one would be able to better answer you on that though. You best bet would be like BC said, go intake headers exhaust and you should see a difference. Plugs will help, but probably nothing that you will even notice though. We had a distributorless setup with no wires. Can't really remember what they call our setup though.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
BlueCrush

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by BlueCrush »

We have a coil-on-plug system, no distributor, plug wires, etc...Never go with an e-bay turbo kit.....but your not wanting FI...
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

I am going with a Cold Air, Catback, and Exhaust for right now. I just installed some new EGK Iridum plugs today and it idles perfectly.Do strut tower bars really help? I found one on eBay cheap: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors..._1165Also will this fit my 05' Vibe?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors..._1165Also what is a "hyper voltage system"?
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

headers for the AWD must be custom made and would be very expensive. as for a catback, that has to be custom too, but isn't all too costly at all. if you can get that exhaust straightened out a bit, it will help you greatly. the CAI is slightly noticeable, but really the sound is the most fun part.hyper voltage is probably a ground wire kit, looks great, no performance benefit.strut bars don't do anything, they are already really rigid as tested by (i think it was bluecrush). he did a before/after test on their movement and nothing changed.
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

Does anyone know if the CAI for the 05' Matrix XR will fit my 05' Vibe?
northvibe

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »headers for the AWD must be custom made and would be very expensive. as for a catback, that has to be custom too, but isn't all too costly at all. if you can get that exhaust straightened out a bit, it will help you greatly. the CAI is slightly noticeable, but really the sound is the most fun part.hyper voltage is probably a ground wire kit, looks great, no performance benefit.strut bars don't do anything, they are already really rigid as tested by (i think it was bluecrush). he did a before/after test on their movement and nothing changed.You could get your exhaust manifold port and polished by the guy on newcelica though. That netted some decent gains....
jamesus

Post by jamesus »

yea header back exhaust with a cai should give u a little bit more power. u should definatly be able to feel it. and he had a good question are matrix performance parts completly compatible with the vibes. i am pick up my 04 base model in 2 weeks and am wondering if a matrix 04 cold air will fit the same?
L5K

Re: (jamesus)

Post by L5K »

Everything as far as that will work as long as you are using parts for the same engine.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)