2009 Vibe GT acceleration

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Ace Barker

2009 Vibe GT acceleration

Post by Ace Barker »

My daughter has this car and I notice when I drive it it seems to have a delay when accelerating. Its a noticeable hesitation then it accelerates. Maybe it's just me or has something to do with the variable timing engine. Ace...
1939 Master 85 - What a basket case! Cool 348 with 3 2bbls though. Will be black!1990 Cub Cadet 1541 - Yellow and Cream. It's a Garden Tractor. I guess I should paint it black.1999 Lumina LTZ - Black2004 Avalanche Z-71 - Black2007 Sky Redline - Silver Graphite - Ordered black but this one came in and wife said she was tired of black. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Black - Daughter resurrected the color!!!!
abramsgunner

Re: 2009 Vibe GT acceleration (Ace Barker)

Post by abramsgunner »

I have the base with the 2.4L and 5 speed automatic... mine does the same thing... When you first get on it, there is a bit of hesitation then a surge of power....It has to be the way the transmission is programmed, as the hesitation goes away if you put the shifter in manual mode. My understanding is that manual mode is not really manual, it just lets you have some control over the top gear the tranny will shift into as well as downshifting on demand, and holds the shifts a little longer in the powerband. When I start off in manual mode set to 4 or 5, the shifting/power is smooth.Of course, when playing with that mode I lost 2 mpg... (Overall, I'm not sure the 5 speed auto is ready for prime time)
Ace Barker

Re: 2009 Vibe GT acceleration (abramsgunner)

Post by Ace Barker »

Thanks!It's great little car and well featured for the money. It gets her around in Birmingham quite well. She never said anything about it. I just noticed since she is home from BSC this Summer.Ace...
1939 Master 85 - What a basket case! Cool 348 with 3 2bbls though. Will be black!1990 Cub Cadet 1541 - Yellow and Cream. It's a Garden Tractor. I guess I should paint it black.1999 Lumina LTZ - Black2004 Avalanche Z-71 - Black2007 Sky Redline - Silver Graphite - Ordered black but this one came in and wife said she was tired of black. 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT - Black - Daughter resurrected the color!!!!
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

rule of thumb with a four banger is you have to really get on it and get those rpms up to get the full power out of it
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
L5K

Post by L5K »

It's probably the drive by wire system isn't it?My understanding is that somewhere along the line they changed mechanical throttle cable out for a "drive by wire" system that is electrical and uses sensors to figure out how much the pedal is depressed, then it calculates current speed and gear and rpm and uses all that to figure out how far to open the butterfly in the throttle body. I think they changed to this system in like 2005 or 06. I've heard this system will cause the lag you are describing.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Also, if you're trying to lug the engine up from 2000, it's going to take a while.... but you have the box of slush, so yes, this is normal! Shift it yourself!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
L5K

Post by L5K »

I wouldn't say it's all on the automatic or the low RPM. My 03 GT lags when the RPM is high and I let out on the clutch quickly.... though it also screeches and smells like rubber while it's lagging. heh.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
Ace Barker

Post by Ace Barker »

I have an old 3.8 Lumina LTZ, a Redline Sky and an Avalanche that don't have the lag. It's not bad or scary. I just noticed it. It's a great car. I would reccomend the GT package. I really like the looks and the options for the price. I hadn't planned on buying her a new car to go to school. If it was for me, power seats and a few other things but it drives and handles great. I just thought that little (almost turbo lag) was obvious. Oh yes it's an automatic.Ace...