Performance Injectors

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
robertinsandiego

Performance Injectors

Post by robertinsandiego »

Anyone have any links to online stores that sell performance injectors, I can't find any just OE parts. Thanks. Looking to change out injectors. Any 411 would be appreciated. Rob
djb383

Re: Performance Injectors (robertinsandiego)

Post by djb383 »

'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
Herb

Post by Herb »

Monkey Wrench Racing:http://store.monkeywrenchracin...8_166
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
craiginwinnipeg

Post by craiginwinnipeg »

Hi Robert, I have a 2003 Vibe with a 1zz engine. It was time for me to change my sparkplugs on my 2003 Vibe and I thought why not change out the fuel injectors at the same time. I always wanted somewhat larger injectors as well, because my car runs overly lean with a custom cold air intake, not allowing it to maximize performance without more fuel.At first, I considered getting some fuel injectors from MWR. However, I got to thinking that the aftermarket TRD superchargers came with just the one extra fuel injector and that was sufficient for that supercharger application - 25% more fuel over stock. Then it occured to me that the newer Camry fuel injectors should fit the 1zz engine, because they appear to be narrow body (however, I was unable to find out on the internet, if anyone had actually done this swap). They have about a 33% higher flow rate, and I would not have to change the wire connectors or machine the fuel rail, and the ECM would probably adapt to this change up. Also, the stock high pressure fuel pump should easily be able to handle the slightly increased flow. Just a couple of days ago, I ordered brand new 2007-2009 Camry injectors off e-bay store/ Toyota dealership to try. I also plan to install a fresh set of Bosch Fusion Ir sparkplugs to ensure a good consistent fuel burn. They have 4 contacts per plug and an iridium/platinum core.For my own application, the 33% higher flow rates Camry fuel injectors should be sufficient. Obviously, if you have the 2zz engine or plan to go above 200HP then you may want to order the humongous fuel injectors from a place like Power Enterprise: http://www.powerenterpriseusa....x.htm Another route to go is to get a reputable machine shop to rebuild your old fuel injectors to a higher matching flow rate. Again, this depends on what you are planning to do.I hope that this information helps. Craig from Winnipeg
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

don't know if they have them, but I recommend Deutschwerks for injectors. they can modify your stockers too.As for spark plugs, us subes run the NGK Iridium one step colder plugs, more power and effeciency. I'm also running some 750 cc's from DW for my injectors, however it requires a new tune for the car.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
robertinsandiego

Re: Performance Injectors (craiginwinnipeg)

Craig that's awesome man, thanks for the time, I'm looking into everything. I basically just want mor HP, without putting a turbo on it. I figure better injectors and a better pump, plus stage 2 clutch will be good for now. Thanks againrob
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by robertinsandiego »Craig that's awesome man, thanks for the time, I'm looking into everything. I basically just want mor HP, without putting a turbo on it. I figure better injectors and a better pump, plus stage 2 clutch will be good for now. Thanks againrobYou won't be able to put bigger injectors without running some sort of engine management,whether it be piggyback or stand-alone.It'll run like crap.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
robertinsandiego

Re: Performance Injectors (Herb)

Cool, thanks, now are these injectors on the site, for the Vibe? I was looking for a car make model search but there was none? Sorry man I'm a noobie.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Anything for the Matrix/corolla is the same.Just make sure you match the engine,1zz,2zz.But get some engine management if you want to go that route.
robertinsandiego

Re: Performance Injectors (kevera)

Damn , is the unichip a good one, or is there a better one that you can recommend? link? thanks.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Not a big fan of unichip,it's too generic for me.I have emanage ultimate,but you have to get it tuned.Actually you live in Cali,there are a ton of shops that tune out there.What engine do you have?
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

unichip is good if you just have some very basic mods like an intake and/or exhaust. it's not so good if you need more custom mapping. As Kevera said, go with the emanage because there are more tuners and more capabilities.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
craiginwinnipeg

Hi Robert, As far as I know the fuel injectors from the Camry 2007-2009 2.4l are 330cc compared to the Vibe 1.8l 1zz injectors that are in the range of 240cc to 260cc. This is about a 33% increase. I am hoping to improve the drivability of my 2003 Vibe with this modest increase in fuel injector size, rather than increase the horsepower significantly. My main goal is to simply optimize my cold air intake with the slightly larger injectors. In the past, under hard acceleration, my car would accelerate quickly then occasionally hang at 4800RPM as if there was a rev limiter, and slowly advance to 5200RPM before shifting early; this is probably caused by an excessively lean air/gas mixture at the top of my rpm range; this seems to happen only when the ambient air temperature is less than 60F. It happens because of the cold air intake.In any case, I believe that the ECU will adapt to this modest increase in fuel injector size without the necessity of reprogramming the ECU, because the fuel-air ratio is calibrated from the feedback of the mass-air flow and oxygen sensors (not from the size of the injectors). I would be very surprised if the amount of adaptation needed was out of range for the ECM and driveability was not improved. I am expecting that my maximum horsepower will only increase slightly but it will be more consistent throughout the entire rpm range. I may look at porting the head at a future date to more fully utilize the larger injectors for more horsepower.As other members posted, the ECU could certainly be reprogrammed to squeeze even more power out of the larger fuel injectors by going with less conservative settings than factory. Good luck with your own project!Craig from Winnipeg
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by craiginwinnipeg »In any case, I believe that the ECU will adapt to this modest increase in fuel injector size without the necessity of reprogramming the ECU, because the fuel-air ratio is calibrated from the feedback of the mass-air flow and oxygen sensors (not from the size of the injectors). I would be very surprised if the amount of adaptation needed was out of range for the ECM and driveability was not improved. As other members posted, the ECU could certainly be reprogrammed to squeeze even more power out of the larger fuel injectors by going with less conservative settings than factory. Please don't give advice out of your experience range!Do me a favour,install the bigger injectors and report back on how your cars runs,just for giggles.It will not run right,it will run way too rich.Take this from experience,and others if you don't believe me.Do some research and let me know what you find.Oh and our ECU's can't be reprogrammed,just so you know!!
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »Oh and our ECU's can't be reprogrammed,just so you know!!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

correct. you cannot reprogram the ECU. you must either go with the unichip (also not really able to program unless at a tuner) or go with a stand alone option like the Greddy Emanage.your car will run like crap and you will throw all kinds of CELs.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
craiginwinnipeg

Re: Performance Injectors (Kamikaze)

Maybe, you should tell the people at Techstream that the ECU can't be re-programmed and they will quit selling the TIS techstream Unit P/N: TSPKGAM for $7,995. I copied the Product Information Sheet pdf to this link: http://members.shaw.ca/craigsi...t.pdfIt can customize Toyota/ Lexus/ Scion settings on the original ECM.
craiginwinnipeg

Re: Performance Injectors (Kamikaze)

I did the fuel injector swap on Friday after work. It took about 2 hours. The car runs fine, especially at high rpm. Here is a link to how the swap went.http://members.shaw.ca/craigsigurdson2/

Attached files
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by craiginwinnipeg »Maybe, you should tell the people at Techstream that the ECU can't be re-programmed and they will quit selling the TIS techstream Unit P/N: TSPKGAM for $7,995. I copied the Product Information Sheet pdf to this link: http://members.shaw.ca/craigsi...t.pdfIt can customize Toyota/ Lexus/ Scion settings on the original ECM.precisely, it's $8K. that's more money than my completely built motor, install and protune.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
kevera

Re: Performance Injectors (AKLGT)

Post by kevera »

What are your A/F numbers at WOT?
craiginwinnipeg

Re: Performance Injectors (AKLGT)

Some asked about the air fuel ratios. I did another how to to explain how I came up with some numbers. It is at http://members.shaw.ca/craigsi...20Mod/ . Basically, I used a multimeter to read the ECM inputs from the Oxygen Sensor and used a table to convert it from an Oxygen Sensor manufacturer.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

ok, so you did scale the injectors? you didn't just pop them in and figure the car's ECM would just magically work, right?
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
craiginwinnipeg

Hi, it took me awhile to figure out how to test my air-fuel ratio without putting out any money.This is what I think my ratios are running the 330cc injectors.On a closed loop (cruising at 2500rpm) - 14.7:1 air to fuel ratio.On a open loop (WOT - wide open throttle) - 13.1:1 air to fuel ratio.Apparently a car air to fuel ratio can go as low as 12.5:1 and still be acceptable as not too rich under (WOT) for most cars, or Open Loop as the Toyota people like to call it. I heard that 13.2:1 was ideal to prevent predetonation unde hard acceleration. However, I could not find the desirable air to fuel ratio specifically for Toyota engines at WOT in any reference guide. In other words, the 330cc injectors are not too big for the engine, but 550cc fuel injectors would probably definitely be too large as I am approaching the 12.5:1 ratio. Here is a link to how I tested my air fuel ratio.http://members.shaw.ca/craigsi...20Mod/
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

interesting. I can definitely guarantee (and speak from experience) that going too big will cause issues. LOL. remember, rich is SAFE, lean is not. You just waste a lot of gas.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Wow, all this work to net what, 3hp and totally screw with fuel economy... This is NOT a performance car.. It's a mini-SUV with a heart of gold.. But hey, it's not my car...