2nd Gear pop-out?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
breezd

2nd Gear pop-out?

Post by breezd »

Hey everyone--Yesterday when I was driving, the trans seemed to pop out of gear. I came from a slow stop (1st gear) and shifted into 2nd. It went for a second or two, but then seemed to pop out of gear and revved without acceleration. I didn't think much about it, but then I saw burkeyro say something in his thread about his new Ralliart that he had to replace the Vibe's trans with "2nd gear pop-out".BTW, Clutch was replaced last year with a stage2 racing clutch. No other signs of clutch slippage. So i do not believe that the clutch is the culprit.Any ideas on what may have happened or is happening??Thanks,Dan
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
THE VIBERATOR

Re: 2nd Gear pop-out? (breezd)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

This happens on many Hondas, nearly all of them. The tranny pops out of 2nd or 3rd gear. I have to say this is the first time i have heard of it happening on a toyota transmission. It's normal wear and tear, but you should take it to get it checked out anyways.
2003 Vibe Base - Sold2005 Corolla LE 5 speedcustom short ram air box6k HID kitIn memoriam of the Vibe, may you rest in peace:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168634
shemp

Re: 2nd Gear pop-out? (breezd)

Post by shemp »

I had this happen on my Z28. I would shift to second, but as soon as I gave it any throttle, it would pop out. I don't remember if it was a bent shifting fork, or bad synchro or what, but it kept doing it and I had to get a trans rebuild. I wrote a $1500 check for that if I remember correctly. I hope you don't have the same issue I had.
2009 Vibe GT
breezd

Post by breezd »

It has only happened that one time. I hope it was just a freak occurance. I put it into 2nd gear, it accelerated for a couple seconds, popped out of gear, revved a couple times as i gave it gas, let off the gas for a few seconds and then it popped back into gear.Keep in mind that this is the 6sp MT with 105k. And about 10-15k on the Clutch.
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
THE VIBERATOR

Re: (breezd)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Get it checked out...or ask the dealer if that's normal for the 6 MT around your mileage.
2003 Vibe Base - Sold2005 Corolla LE 5 speedcustom short ram air box6k HID kitIn memoriam of the Vibe, may you rest in peace:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168634