1zz-fe limp mode

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Mariachi

1zz-fe limp mode

Post by Mariachi »

has anyone ever been in limp mode? also what happened when you were in limp mode?
GoodVibErations2004

Post by GoodVibErations2004 »

call me a layman. but what exactly is limp mode?
GoodVibErations2004 2004 Neptune AWD ^^^^^^^^^^^My Genvibe Garage^^^^^^^^^^^
Herb

Re: (GoodVibErations2004)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by GoodVibErations2004 »call me a layman. but what exactly is limp mode?I think it's when the ECU detects a problem that needs immediate attention, it then forces the engine to run in a very conservative manner (ie: very little power) to allow the driver to "limp" to a shop to investigate the problemAre you getting a CEL? If so get it the code read and see what's up.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
blue_can

Re: 1zz-fe limp mode (mando7744)

Post by blue_can »

I've only ever heard it mentioned in connection with a transmission problem. If the transmission develops a fault which the ECU detects it can force the transmission to have some limited operation in order to keep you mobile. In some cars the control becomes purely manual (you can set the gear with the shift selector) - in others it will go to a fixed gear (like second). This only happens if the problem is a control related matter - if something inside the transmision breaks - well then the car will probably not go very far. BTW this only applies to automatics.Never heard of an engine related limp mode but it may well exist.
'07 Vibe
Herb

Re: 1zz-fe limp mode (blue_can)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by blue_can »I've only ever heard it mentioned in connection with a transmission problem. If the transmission develops a fault which the ECU detects it can force the transmission to have some limited operation in order to keep you mobile. In some cars the control becomes purely manual (you can set the gear with the shift selector) - in others it will go to a fixed gear (like second). This only happens if the problem is a control related matter - if something inside the transmision breaks - well then the car will probably not go very far. BTW this only applies to automatics.Never heard of an engine related limp mode but it may well exist.Hmm, my Vibe is a manual transmission, but I remember when I had an engine misfire the whole system seemed kinda slow to respond, but then again that might have been attributed to the misfire.On my work truck, the auto transmission is slow to engage when cold so when I throttle up before it kicks in, it throws a CEL and goes into limp mode for the next dozen starts or so and isn't very responsive on the throttle.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Most people who have bee in limp mode, had a bad MAF sensor. Their Vibes would not go over 3000 rpm or so. Is that the issue you are having?My wife's Aztek was in limp mode when her passenger front wheel speed sensor had a circuit malfunction. It wouldn't go over 1/4 throttle. Talk about slow starts...lol. I had the whee hub w/built -in speed sensor replaced and it is good as new.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
blue_can

Re: 1zz-fe limp mode (Herb)

Post by blue_can »

Quote, originally posted by Herb »On my work truck, the auto transmission is slow to engage when cold so when I throttle up before it kicks in, it throws a CEL and goes into limp mode for the next dozen starts or so and isn't very responsive on the throttle.Have you read the CEL - it does sound like a trans related limp mode.
'07 Vibe
Herb

Re: 1zz-fe limp mode (blue_can)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by blue_can »Have you read the CEL - it does sound like a trans related limp mode.No, because I didn't have anything to read it with. It's getting cold again so I'm sure I'll have an opportunity to trigger it again. -17C this morning!
Mariachi

Re: 1zz-fe limp mode (BlueCrush)

Post by Mariachi »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Most people who have bee in limp mode, had a bad MAF sensor. Their Vibes would not go over 3000 rpm or so. Is that the issue you are having?My wife's Aztek was in limp mode when her passenger front wheel speed sensor had a circuit malfunction. It wouldn't go over 1/4 throttle. Talk about slow starts...lol. I had the whee hub w/built -in speed sensor replaced and it is good as new.THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING!!!!!!! GOOOAAALLL!!!! my mass air flow sensor was really dirty and causing my car to completely bog out whenever i would drive. it was causing the car to die out when either i would slow down, hit a speed bump, reverse, etc. it was soooo embarrasing. my buddy from socal3g.com helped me trouble shoot the issue which we then found that the mass sensor was dirty. we then put it back on and on the intake that i have, the maf sensor (for some odd reason) is on the bottom side of the intake so upside down.now we flipped the intake a little to where the maf sensor was upright and the car worked fine. didn't understand it but i can't get passed 3000 rpm. my car is working great now other than the limp mode issue. someone told me that i could get the code erased now that the car is sucking in air correctly and working beautiful. at first i thought it was the o2 sensor and i swapped that out but it wasn't that. anywho, is their anything else i should look into? or is it ok to remove the code and drive normal again?
joholste

Post by joholste »

if you had a bad MAF then you should be good...disconnect the battery about 10 min. and it should reset the CEL
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

I actually did that for 20 mins and the ecu didn't reset. i dont think i drained the energy that was flowing til it was dead. let me try again and see whats up.
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

for me limp mode is what happens when i have too many drinks!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
blue_can

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by blue_can »

LOLYes, the question of limp mode is interesting - I've always understood it to be a controlled way of keeping the car running if a fault is detected by the ECU. If the car simply runs badly then I'm not really sure it can be classed as limp mode. It all depends on how intelligent the ECU is (or rather what clever tricks the designers can do with the sensor data to sense a faulty sensor). For example if the ECU cannot tell that a sensor is malfunctioning and just blindly follows the readings then the car will probably just run badly. If the ECU can detect that something is actually wrong and can handle the problem in a controlled manner then you are put into limp mode.
'07 Vibe
Mariachi

Re: (drunkenmaxx)

Post by Mariachi »

Quote, originally posted by drunkenmaxx »for me limp mode is what happens when i have too many drinks!LOL!!!Well I disconnected the battery for about 30 mins this time and the check engine light came back on. I am going to get it scanned again because for some reason, the car runs perfect but I still can't get passed 3k rpm. (That sux trying to keep up with everyone on my team.) lol. anyways, any suggestions?
Mariachi

Re: (13Vibe03)

Post by Mariachi »

well the 2nd time i did that, i did that for a good time. plus i even switched on the head lights to make sure it drained. I really don't want to take the car in to spend a lot of money for something i might be able to fix on my own.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

does it shift ok but you just can't get past 3k? or you can't get past a certain gear? if you can't get to another gear, i'd check the governor pin. then again, i don't know why that would throw a cel. sorry i can't be more help
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
BlueCrush

Re: (mando7744)

Post by BlueCrush »

Sounds like you need a new MAF sensor.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Quote, originally posted by mando7744 »the maf sensor (for some odd reason) is on the bottom side of the intake so upside down.now we flipped the intake a little to where the maf sensor was upright and the car worked fine.MAF's are really sensitive to changes in the way air flows over them, try turning it back to be upside down again.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
joholste

Re: 1zz-fe limp mode (Jeremy96gase)

Post by joholste »

I thought you had replaced your MAF sensor earlier when i read it... you'll probably need a new MAF... you can pick one up at Advance auto Parts or autozone..
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

Thanx guys. been a huge help. i appreciate it.
matty77

Re: (mando7744)

Post by matty77 »

I am having a similar problem, My mechanic believer it to be faulty ignition coils.
2003 Vibe GTShawdowFactory AlarmSunroof
DressedInBlack

Re: (matty77)

Post by DressedInBlack »

Quote, originally posted by matty77 »I am having a similar problem, My mechanic believer it to be faulty ignition coils.i just limped home myself. i am interested in what my service center has to say. ill post the results.basically what happened was the car shut down all at once; the tach went from 3K to zero in a half second. twice on the way to the store and three times on the way home. i was able to limp into my parking lot at about 10mph for a minute or so before it konked out about 100 feet from my place. i let it set for a few minutes and started up once more to get in my spot. i figure im just going to have it towed rather than try to limp into the service center tomorrow.looks to be a fun weekend!
http://
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

well, it turns out the computer in my car is toast. the dealership cant get the new one until Monday or Tuesday so i have a new Malibu to drive around until then. it's a sweet car and all but i already miss my Vibe.
DressedInBlack

Re: (DressedInBlack)

Post by DressedInBlack »

the results...