Anything I can do to lighten the car?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
THE VIBERATOR

Anything I can do to lighten the car?

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Is there anything I can do to lighten my Vibe without spending an immense amount of money for anything? I kid you not, I ran a 16.34 quarter mile about an hour ago. I do have a secret to how I got that with an automatic, but I wont tell quite yet So what little things can I do to decrease weight, or add bits of horsepower?
2003 Vibe Base - Sold2005 Corolla LE 5 speedcustom short ram air box6k HID kitIn memoriam of the Vibe, may you rest in peace:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168634
DiveNut

Re: Anything I can do to lighten the car? (THE VIBERATOR)

Post by DiveNut »

Basic stuff can be removed before hitting the track like:spare/jacktoolsmisc junk that may have accumulated in your rideetcWon't make a huge difference but I guess every bit helps. Also, most tracks have a scale. So you can weight your car before and after to see how many pounds you actual shed.Went through the trouble of pull that stuff out once and the Vibe weighed in at a hefty 2930lbs with me in it.Real serious weight reduction, i.e gutting you interior etc tends to make a daily driver not very comfortable
Bare Bones Base, Abyss 2004 Vibe, Debadged, Auto, ABS, GM Performance Supercharger, Injen CAI, 2.3" URD Pulley, Unichip,Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler SOLD

1972 Plymouth Duster 340 (Strip/Street Project)
hskater26

Re: Anything I can do to lighten the car? (NibCrom)

Post by hskater26 »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?i ... hahahahaha
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
breezd

Re: Anything I can do to lighten the car? (NibCrom)

Post by breezd »

Quote, originally posted by NibCrom »http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885LMAO!
THEN: 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT * Lowered * CAI * Sound SystemNOW: 2005 Infiniti FX35 RWD * Stock
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

take the back seats out, spare tire etc. all that crap. switch plastic junk to carbon fiber....
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

Lose 30lbs.
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
THE VIBERATOR

Re: (SLORegal)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

(removed) lose 30 pounds...haha i cant quite do that. I weigh 130. Theres not much more to lose
2003 Vibe Base - Sold2005 Corolla LE 5 speedcustom short ram air box6k HID kitIn memoriam of the Vibe, may you rest in peace:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168634
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Do not eat, start vomiting after meals, strip out the entire interior except drivers seat, drive barefoot, do not wear clothes when driving, only race with 1 gallon as gas in the tank, remove all the doors, remove the glass, remove the hatch. May be a cold and noisy ride in the winter, but you will win the race.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
THE VIBERATOR

Re: Anything I can do to lighten the car? (ou.grizzly)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Do not eat, start vomiting after meals, strip out the entire interior except drivers seat, drive barefoot, do not wear clothes when driving, only race with 1 gallon as gas in the tank, remove all the doors, remove the glass, remove the hatch. May be a cold and noisy ride in the winter, but you will win the race. LOL I think that's a bit extreme, don't you?
jerryn

Post by jerryn »

I kind of have an idea of what you did... brake stand to 4500 before green light. Use the S option and shift yourself. I was playing around with the same idea.. to lighten the vehicle. How about removing the rear and passenger seats, jack, spare tires, etc. for the next race.
jake75

Re: Anything I can do to lighten the car? (jerryn)

Post by jake75 »

Diet. Drive in the buff. Go to the bathroom. Shave your head etc. bald. Take off the tire stem caps. Wash off all the dirt.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
THE VIBERATOR

Re: Anything I can do to lighten the car? (jerryn)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Quote, originally posted by jerryn »I kind of have an idea of what you did... brake stand to 4500 before green light. Use the S option and shift yourself. I was playing around with the same idea.. to lighten the vehicle. How about removing the rear and passenger seats, jack, spare tires, etc. for the next race.Actually you're quite right. However I did NOT brake stand Let's see if you can figure this out. Maybe bonus points to the first person that does figure out how I launched. I have an automatic and I launched above 3000 rpm, that's all I'm saying Jack and spare tools/tire is removed. Keeping all seats. I do alot of carpooling with friends to and from school.
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

i removed my spare tire and jack too...just don't feel like carrying around the extra weight...i have AAA so if i get a flat i'll just call them =P
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
ou.grizzly

Re: (lowincash)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »i removed my spare tire and jack too...just don't feel like carrying around the extra weight...i have AAA so if i get a flat i'll just call them =PIf you get a blow out or damage the side wall of the tire, how will you drive? Will they tow your vehicle to your home or a shop?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

[QUOTE=THE VIBERATOR]Actually you're quite right. However I did NOT brake stand Let's see if you can figure this out. Maybe bonus points to the first person that does figure out how I launched. I have an automatic and I launched above 3000 rpm, that's all I'm saying QUOTE]Trans-brake hahaha
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
zionzr2

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »If you get a blow out or damage the side wall of the tire, how will you drive? Will they tow your vehicle to your home or a shop? thats how my AAA works they will tow upto 100 miles. Depends on your AAA package. Some offer less tow miles some more.
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

Quote, originally posted by THE VIBERATOR »Actually you're quite right. However I did NOT brake stand Let's see if you can figure this out. Maybe bonus points to the first person that does figure out how I launched. I have an automatic and I launched above 3000 rpm, that's all I'm saying Neutral drop.Ouch
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

i got the AAA plus package or something and they can tow your car up to 100 miles.
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
shemp

Post by shemp »

Quote, originally posted by THE VIBERATOR »Actually you're quite right. However I did NOT brake stand Let's see if you can figure this out. Maybe bonus points to the first person that does figure out how I launched. I have an automatic and I launched above 3000 rpm, that's all I'm saying Are you doing neutral-slams? That's a great way to turn your transmission into shrapnel.
2009 Vibe GT
ou.grizzly

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »thats how my AAA works they will tow upto 100 miles. Depends on your AAA package. Some offer less tow miles some more.Did not know that, but having a spare is always a good idea. Quote, originally posted by shemp »Are you doing neutral-slams? That's a great way to turn your transmission into shrapnel. Worst case scenario if it breaks, he/she pays out-of-pocket to have it fixed. Sure he/she is fully aware of the consequences and is proceeding at their own risk with advice or not.
shemp

Post by shemp »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Worst case scenario if it breaks, he/she pays out-of-pocket to have it fixed. Sure he/she is fully aware of the consequences and is proceeding at their own risk with advice or not. I never said he shouldn't do neutral-slams. I simply tried to make sure he is aware that it could result in catastrophic damage to his tranny. Of course it is his car, and he is welcome to do whatever he wants with it. There is a difference between offering information and telling people what is best for them ...nice try though.
2009 Vibe GT
ou.grizzly

Re: (shemp)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by shemp »There is a difference between offering information and telling people what is best for them ...nice try though. It all comes down to what the person decides to do. I am wondering if that one member here has stripped his car down anymore; of course he was not trying to make his Vibe faster, but strip weight in order to obtain better fuel mileage.
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

lighter weight rims will increase acceleration and decrease times. i think i've read here somewhere that the stock rims are 21lbs. if you get rims in the 14-17lb range you would get under 16 second 1/4
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Buy a different car.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
shemp

Re: Anything I can do to lighten the car? (Kamikaze)

Post by shemp »

Good point.... Of course if you get rid of a couple wheels you could get 50mpg and 1/4 mile times in the 10's
2009 Vibe GT
THE VIBERATOR

Re: Anything I can do to lighten the car? (shemp)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

That's very true...if the tranny blows, I'm getting a manual. End of story
sstress

Post by sstress »

This is a silly list of extreme weight reduction... but if my car was an all out race car for strip use only, I would be able to drop about 300+ pounds from the car. - Remove internal bumpers and replace with lightweight aluminum bar to support the outer skin.- remove airbags, all heater controls and assembly, radio gone, entire air conditioner assembly tossed, power locks/windows yanked.- replace side and rear glass with lexan.- remove rear and passenger seat, extra seat belts.- strip out carpet padding (I think I would leave the top layer of carpet for the aesthetic).- remove any undercoating from bottom of car (if applied)- replace inner door panels and replace with thin aluminum sheet- remove sun visors, center console, roof rack stuff, side moldings.- remove firewall and move back 8 inches- cut and fabricate tunnel for th 350 trans with 3500 converter- mount custom front chassis/suspension and ls1 carb'd crate motor to th350 trans- rip out rear torsion suspension, install narrowed 12 bolt with ladder bars- roll cage.... tubs.. .. . .. . fiberglass hood with scoop ... ... . trans break . .. .. ... . .. . . 14" x 32" goodyear slicks.. .. . ..skinnies up front. .. ... .. .. .. .... . .. ... ... . ... ... ... ..... ... .. .... .. what was the question?
THE VIBERATOR

Re: Anything I can do to lighten the car? (sstress)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

That's taking it a bit too far now...but good ideas nonetheless. Right now the car blew a rod/rod bearing, so I'm in the process of getting that taken care of
Amtron

Re: (SLORegal)

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by SLORegal »Lose 30lbs.rofl!
THE VIBERATOR

Re: (Amtron)

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

HAHA I'm already a skinny 130 and i'm 19, I don't know if losing weight is possible at this point Maybe if I joined NASCAR....
BrandonMassey

Post by BrandonMassey »

ou.grizzly wrote: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:51 am Do not eat, start vomiting after meals, strip out the entire interior except drivers seat, drive barefoot, do not wear clothes when driving, only race with 1 gallon as gas in the tank, remove all the doors, remove the glass, remove the hatch. May be a cold and noisy ride in the winter, but you will win the race.
Im reading this in 2024 and this (removed) just made me die laughing (removed)