Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
hammerdown

Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good

Post by hammerdown »

I come here when I am looking for info so I thought I would pass this on. My check engine light came on and the transmission was not shifting right, very jerky not smooth. I did a search on google and this site was referenced with some post mentioning the error P2716 and the possibility of a bad pressure control solinoid in the transmission. Well I knew I was not covered under warranty (2006 Vibe 78k) but I decided to take it to the pontiac dealership. They scanned it and yes it did have the code P2716 and the tech found a service bulletin (41554a) that said if this code shows up replace the PCM module which is covered under a 100k or 8year fed warranty, at least thats what they told me. So they replaced the module and in 30 minutes I was back on the road and not a dime out of my pocket. Just thought I would pass this on.
ramenboy...

Re: Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good (hammerdown)

Post by ramenboy... »

hey glad the site helped and welcome to the family!!post pics of the vibe
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
hammerdown

Re: Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good (ramenboy...)

Post by hammerdown »

I looked thru my warranty manual and it appears it is a 80k warranty,, whewww I dodged a bullet on that one!
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

I got a P0770 cel now and it jumps out of gear EVERY time I give it just a little gas. It's only been 2 years since the last tranny rebuild and was running perfect just befor the new engine was installed. Ever since the new engine went in, the tranny runs like crap?Thanks for the info, though! I'd like to try that, but the dealerships don't want anything to do with my car. Not much is stock anymore .
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
02csnow

Post by 02csnow »

Got the same code today (P2716). And they told me I needed a new PCM. So it is getting dropped of at the dealership tonight.New PCM free of charge ( 80k warranty )
Bye Bye Vibe.............
kstigler

Post by kstigler »

I have an '05 Vibe with 54,000 miles on it. It threw a CEL and started shifting funny as well. I took it to AutoZone to have the code scanned, and they read a P2716. They cleared it and the car shifted fine. About an hour later the CEL popped up and it started shifting funky again. Took it to a Pontiac dealer this afternoon, the scanned it and read the P2716. The said that the PCM was the issue and that the car was covered under an 8 year 80,000 mile warranty from the factory. PCM was replaced, no money out of my pocket, problem solved! Yippee!
keithvibe

Re: Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good (kstigler)

Post by keithvibe »

nice
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
statsia

Post by statsia »

Please help me out here, I have a 2003 and it it doing the same thing my husband is a mechanic and we coded it also a p2716 however after reading your posting I am reluctant to buy the solenoid if it is the PCM module as you said you tech found a bullentin and repaired yours under that. I called my local dealership and gave them the bullentin number and they cannot find it. Is if possible for your tech to email me a copy of that bullentin or provide the gm bullentin number to me so I can research this further.
Paul92o

Re: Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good (statsia)

Post by Paul92o »

Having the same problem with a 2006 with 55k miles. I am also having trouble finding information on the service bulletin. Also, is the repair only covered if you have some sort of extended warranty. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
rangita

Post by rangita »

I'm taking my Vibe in for service on this tomorrow. I wasn't able to find the service bulletin with the number given, but I tracked it down by hand. I only found it for the Matrix.NHTSA Item Number: 10020487Toyota Service Bulletin Number: 01406Summary: "HARSH SHIFT AND MIL ON DTC P2716."Links:http://www.allworldauto.com/ts....htmlh ... .ATRIX/You can also find it by searching the NHTSA page with the NHTSA number: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/tsbs/tsbsearch.cfm
rangita

Post by rangita »

I just got back and the PCM was replaced for free under the 8-year warranty! If I hadn't found this forum & post, I probably would have paid a sack of money to my regular mechanic. Thanks, Generation Vibe!
piznarish

Post by piznarish »

So, the check engine light came on and I took it to AutoZone to get a free diagnostic on it. And I got the P2716 code. I took to the stealership for repair...Man oh man... I fought my local stealership to get this covered under this warranty for 2 days! The stealership first quoted $650 to get this fixed. The service rep contacted their Pontiac rep to find out more. I provided the service rep w/ all these #'s (codes, document #s, id's, etc.). After a couple of days to wait for the part to arrive, the service rep said that it wasn't going to be covered under GM's warranty (3yr/36k), but he would knock off $50. I told him that about this forum and others forums, in which all the cases everyone was getting this covered under a 8yr/80k. I said, I need to research some more and get back to him. Get this --no more than 10 minutes after hanging up, the guy called back to say that it WOULD be covered under the warrenty after all and my car would be ready in 2 hrs -- it would just take more paper work!!! Can you believe that?! Anyway, I would like to thank you all for your information otherwise, I would have blindly forked over my $650! THANK YOU!!!I wonder if my situation is a product of the GM bankruptcy, the Pontiac brand being eliminated, and CARS program getting this GM stealership in a bind...
'05 Vibe (base w/ power options)
shbwaldrop@yahoo.com

Re: Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good (ramenboy...)

Post by shbwaldrop@yahoo.com »

Thank you very much for posting this information. It is very helpful.
jojuco

Re: Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good (shbwaldrop@yahoo.com)

Post by jojuco »

Would like to confirm above Vibe posts about p2716 code, had a check engine lite associated with hard shift between 1st and 2nd. Brought vehicle to a repair shop they told me it was the press. control solenoid that faulted and with labor 660 bucks for replacement of that part.. came home saw this web site, then went to Pontiac dealer and it was actually the PCM that was Bad. No charge even though it was out of warranty due to the bulletin: Document ID: 2081958 #PIP4154A Thanks! ....... knowledge is Power
jaimedc0

Re: Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good (jojuco)

Post by jaimedc0 »

I love you guys. I am going to the dealer ship this monday. Hopefully this information will come in handy.
jkm311

Re: Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good (jaimedc0)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by jaimedc0 »I love you guys. I am going to the dealer ship this monday. Hopefully this information will come in handy. Glad the site helped you all out. And I'm glad you only experienced hard shifting. I stalled out at 50 MPH! And for all of you 1-posters, don't be a stranger! This community is a great place to frequent.
Steelies to the rescue.
statsia

Re: Code P2716, Auto trans not shifting good (statsia)

Post by statsia »

FINALLY I RECEIVED A RECALL IN THE MAIL FOR THIS PCM MODULE> MINE WAS NOT COVERED WHEN IT GAVE ME PROBLEMS BECAUSE I WAS OVER 80K. NOW I CAN GET IT FIXED!
AZVibe

Post by AZVibe »

Great information. I brought my 2006 Vibe in to the dealership this morning along with the codes and documents. PCM replaced under warranty.