New exhaust in the Works

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
WagonMafia

New exhaust in the Works

Post by WagonMafia »

Alright I'm in the works of making a center exhaust that is integrated into the rear bumper, and I was wondering if any one new of a muffler that would not only sound good, pass emissions, and be small enough to fit between the center of the bumper and the right rear axle. My original thoughts were to go with no muffler but I'm not to familiar with the laws here in Pennsylvania, and if it would throw a CEL. Thanks
Lancer

Re: New exhaust in the Works (WagonMafia)

Post by Lancer »

So your thinking about a muffler/exhaust out the middle of the bumper? Not a bad idea. but what will you do with thecut out from the factory?Mufflers don't do anything for emissions. That's the job for the catalytic converter. And running with no muffler is pretty much illeagal everywhere, not to mention obscenely loud and anoying. There is a lot of room between the rear axle and the bumper Maybe a exhaust from a mini cooper, honda CRX, and dodge neon (kaminarri body kit) al have center bumper exhaust systems.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
WagonMafia

Re: New exhaust in the Works (Lancer)

Post by WagonMafia »

Thanks for the info Lancer. I found a Magnaflow universal muffler thats the size of our stock resonator, and would fit in place does anyone have any clip of their magnaflow on their GT. I was also looking at a Flowmaster 40 Series but i'm not sure how thats gonna sound on a 4 banger though.
DA1ANDONLY

Post by DA1ANDONLY »

do u have any pics of ur process?.. yea its true about lancer no muffler is annoying.
WagonMafia

Re: New exhaust in the Works (DA1ANDONLY)

Post by WagonMafia »

I picked the extra bumper up from Shadow this weekend, and with it being memorial weekend i didnt get as much as i wanted to get done. Ill post some pics later tonight. All thats done is the bumper basically. I just have to cut out the notch for the exhaust to come out the center. I was think of putting a 4x8 brushed aluminum plate where the exhaust is going to exit to clean it up a little bit.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by WagonMafia » I was also looking at a Flowmaster 40 Series but i'm not sure how thats gonna sound on a 4 banger though. i can vouch for the flowmaster series 40 mufflerI had one on my 4cyl. cavalier... not the ecotec but just the standard 2.2.. and it sounded GREAT!I loved it/ Everyone that heard it all said it sounded like a small v8. It had a wonderful exhaust note. It didn't sound like a pissed off bumblebee when I got on it. Like most 4cyl cars do with aftermarket exhausts on them.Bad part is they don't last. I too live in PA and I got three years out of the muffler before it rotted away. If they made it in SS.. i would have gotten that but it's your regular steal muffler.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
WagonMafia

Re: New exhaust in the Works (keithvibe)

Post by WagonMafia »

Thanks Keith for the info. The vibe isn't my Daily Driver though so with it not being in the rain or snow I think the muffler might last a little longer.
DA1ANDONLY

Post by DA1ANDONLY »

y would u not have ur vibe as ur daily car...whats done to it?
DavidPIL

Post by DavidPIL »

Hiya,I went with a Flowmaster 80 series dual out. It was kinda tinny sounding with the magnaflow resonator. I then replaced the resonator with a Hushpower II muffler and that made the overall system sound sweet. No resonance other than at WOT in the 3k+ range. while cruising, it purrs nicely. So, if you use a resonator, consider the Flowmaster Hushpower II.Dave
WagonMafia

Re: New exhaust in the Works (DavidPIL)

Post by WagonMafia »

Thanks David for that info, I have a stock 2003 GT as my DD. The 2004 GT is the one I'm sticking money into as of now i'm gradually getting the abyss one ready for show. Right now all thats done to it now , Already Installed: Injen CAI, Greddy Axle-Back w/o Resonator, Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat, Factory Spoilers, 20% tint in the front 5% for the rest, 2 12" Rockford subs, Rockford cap, Kenwood amp, pioneer Head Unit, Hi-Def Speakers, 2 Rockford Tweeters, Q-logic box but I just started working on the fiberglass one, MR Grille BIllet Grille Waiting to be installed 18" Falken Hanabi's wrapped in Hankook Ventus HRII, and just ordered Tein S Techs. Theres a buch of other little stuff to.
Shadow-Vibe

Post by Shadow-Vibe »

And I can vouch first hand that it looks good, and sounds good as is.
WagonMafia

Re: New exhaust in the Works (Shadow-Vibe)

Post by WagonMafia »

The last few days i've balance the two out . Should I keep my Greddy our should I just go with my idea and use the 40 series. Help me out here guys.
DA1ANDONLY

Post by DA1ANDONLY »

WHAT THE HELL ARE HI-DEF SPEAKERS? NEVER HEARD OF THEM, WHAT BRAND ARE THEY? AND WHERE ARE U RUNNING UR RF TWEETERS FROM?
WagonMafia

Re: New exhaust in the Works (DA1ANDONLY)

Post by WagonMafia »

Hi-Definition Speakers there made by Scosche, and I put them in place of the stock tweeters.
DA1ANDONLY

Post by DA1ANDONLY »

OH BOY JUST BECAREFUL WITH THEM I HEARD ONCE U TURN IT UP SO HIGH THEY JUST SHUT UP AND DONT WORK THE COILS ARE BAD ON THOSE.... I HAVE SPEAKERS THAT U MIGHT WANT