Best Mileage Yet

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
sloth

Best Mileage Yet

Post by sloth »

Just got the best mileage I've ever had with my '03 GT. I have to admit, it was all do to how I drove it too. I got 32 mpg, factor in the 4% my odometer is off and it's over 33. I know a lot of people are getting a lot more out of than that. My commute is about 10 miles. 7 of it's highway. I didn't go anywhere farther than that on this tank of gas, so no really long stretches of highway miles.248.9 miles 7.773 gallons. I got my commute down so I coast about 3/4 a mile coming into town and about the same on the way home.
moongdss

Re: Best Mileage Yet (sloth)

Post by moongdss »

sweeeeet
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
Eloi

Post by Eloi »

I also just got my best mileage on my 2009 2.4L. It was mostly highway and I did 31.9 MPG. First time I get better than 30 MPG (other mileages varied from 25 to 29 MPG). The car is still "very new" as I have only 2800 km on it so far so maybe it'll continue to improve over time...
2009 Vibe (2.4L) - Manual - Red Hot Metallic
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

Quote, originally posted by sloth »Just got the best mileage I've ever had with my '03 GT. I have to admit, it was all do to how I drove it too. I got 32 mpg, factor in the 4% my odometer is off and it's over 33. I know a lot of people are getting a lot more out of than that. My commute is about 10 miles. 7 of it's highway. I didn't go anywhere farther than that on this tank of gas, so no really long stretches of highway miles.148.9 miles 7.773 gallons. I got my commute down so I coast about 3/4 a mile coming into town and about the same on the way home.not tryin to rain on your parade but are you sayin you went 148 miles on 7.7 gallons? cause thats 19.1mpg, not close to 32. why is your odometer 4% off? are you using tires that are a different/incorrect size?
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

I noticed the same thing coldmm. I think he meant 248.9 miles....if you do that math it's basically 32 on the nose.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
sloth

Re: Best Mileage Yet (coldmm803)

Post by sloth »

Quote, originally posted by coldmm803 »not tryin to rain on your parade but are you sayin you went 148 miles on 7.7 gallons? cause thats 19.1mpg, not close to 32. why is your odometer 4% off? are you using tires that are a different/incorrect size?Yep, error between chair and keyboard...Fixed it to the proper 248.Speedo and Odometer have always been 4% off on my vibe. Tires are the correct size.Checked with the dealer and they showed me a sheet saying that the speedometer has a possibility of being off +/- 4%.....mine is actually just slightly more than 4%.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=24577
NewNeptune

Post by NewNeptune »

I hit a new record today as well. 298 miles on 9.88 gallons of gas, 30.2 MPG. Considerable improvement from my usual 25 MPG. I would usually drive 75-85 MPH, and accelerate quickly, with traffic. My Vibe consistently saw 3500-4500 RPMs. Now, I only hit around 2500 RPMs in town and never exceed 3000. I only go up to 65 MPH (twice I hit 70 passing someone who wasn't paying attention and speeding up and slowing down, but that was only briefly), and I keep very large distances from the cars in front of me. If a light turns in front of me, I cancel the cruise and coast up to it.When I got home, I discovered a 50lb bag of rice I had been hauling around, so I hope to get even better mileage this time around.
2006 Pontiac Vibe Base, Automatic, Power PackageSony CDX-GT300Upgraded Horns
Burns1210

Post by Burns1210 »

Quote, originally posted by sloth »Checked with the dealer and they showed me a sheet saying that the speedometer has a possibility of being off +/- 4%.....mine is actually just slightly more than 4%.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=24577My speedometer is about 2-3 mph slower than my GPS at 65 mph. I use the GPS in my girlfriend's Charger and it is dead on with her speedometer. I just did a strict highway mileage test on my 08 Vibe automatic. I topped off, accelerated slowly directly onto the highway, set the cruise at 65 with the air off and the windows closed, and pulled off the highway and into a gas station. Went 41.3 miles on .953 gallons of gas...better than 43 mpg. Of course on a short trip like that, the numbers can be off if the tank isn't filled exactly the same both times. I tried to fill it the same both times, let the auto shutoff on the nozzle engage twice.
2008~Auto~Platinum~Monsoon~Sport Package
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

i find GPS systems vary when it comes to the speeds..i never use that as my "speedometer" sometimes they can be bang on..and other times it seems like the car is either going faster or closer..but from what i've heard is that the satellite is actually more accurate then how fast the car is actually going compared to the actual speedometer..not sure how true that is or not
Burns1210

Re: Best Mileage Yet (Burns1210)

Post by Burns1210 »

Quote, originally posted by Burns1210 »My speedometer is about 2-3 mph slower than my GPS at 65 mph. I use the GPS in my girlfriend's Charger and it is dead on with her speedometer.Wait, I have that backwards...the car speedo shows faster than the GPS.
2008~Auto~Platinum~Monsoon~Sport Package
renate

Post by renate »

My Vibe has 850 miles on it,mostly short 4-5 mile trips.I am getting 21.7 mpg
Renate and "Babycakes"2008 Stealth/graphite VibeAuto tranny. 16" aluminum wheels,steering wheel cover,front seat covers,Sony stereo w/mp3 jack and satellite ready,Alarm system,proud parent of U.S.Marine magnet
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

im sure as time goes on renate you're mpg will get better..just gotta break the engine in more and stuff
Blueridge9

39 mpg on the turnpike today!

Post by Blueridge9 »

Yeah my mpg in the city is ONLY 21-24 (lots of short trips and stop lights, hills). I just went to see my brother and was THRILLED to get 39 mpg on the turnpike today by using cruise control as much as possible, ac on and 2 passengers plus heavy load. Remember I have the 1.8L engine in my 2004. That is the best mileage ever for my Vibe!!
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

yea i got 635 km's on a tank from my house to the ohio meet last summer..i was super impressed..
tksaturn

Post by tksaturn »

I have a Lava, 03 GT. Around time mileage I got just over 30mpg 90% intown miles. As I recall, the window sticker said 28 hwy.
Kamikaze

Re: Best Mileage Yet (tksaturn)

Post by Kamikaze »

I think I would have had one of my best ever if I wouldn't have had the 150 miles of city driving on my last tank, I tucked in behind a semi doing 65mph all the way home (about 50 miles) and was getting about 40 - 41 mpg average on the scanguage, on the way down I stuck it behind a SUV doing 65mph and was getting between 33-40mpg... after 289 miles (again 150 miles city) I pulled 28.9 mpg... I wonder what it would have been if it was all hwy, but oh well, it is what it is...
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Kamikaze

Re: Best Mileage Yet (Kamikaze)

Post by Kamikaze »

I did some guess work here, and if my #'s were at all close...I had about 150 miles city, and if I used 6G of gas that would put it at 25MPG... if the other 138 miles were on 4 Gallons of gas that would mean I got 34.5 MPG'S!!If I got my normal 21MPG on the first 150 miles... that would mean I did 138 miles on abt 3 gallons of gas for about 46mpg's... no way!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Whelan

Re: Best Mileage Yet (Kamikaze)

Post by Whelan »

I thought the GT got better mileage than the AWD even? I pulled 31 with mix city/highway, doing a consistent 28mpg as of now for mix.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
GenuineVibe

Post by GenuineVibe »

hmm my last tank got 560km or 350miles and it wasnt on empty yet.. i am hoping it will improve even more as the engne breaks in. I drive mostly highway miles, which i'm sure helps.
sloth

Post by sloth »

Update: Went on a trip this weekend. On the trip there I made almost 35mpg (34.95). On the way back my wife drove most of the way.....I think I'll be lucky to get 27mpg out of this tank. We did drive into the wind most of the way, but she just hammers it when she gets onto the highway. No such thing as smooth acceleration when she drives.
WD0AFQ

Post by WD0AFQ »

Hey Sloth, I know exactly what you mean. I can have a great thing going with a tank and the wife just destroys all of my work by winding the puppy up in all 6 gears. Oh well, she is a great cook.Dan
Dan GreggDexter, Mo.03 GThttp://www.danandteri.blogspot.com
bodhi_tree777

Re: Best Mileage Yet (WD0AFQ)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by WD0AFQ »Hey Sloth, I know exactly what you mean. I can have a great thing going with a tank and the wife just destroys all of my work by winding the puppy up in all 6 gears. Oh well, she is a great cook.Danthat cracked me up. Same boat, my lovely lady is just not all that interested in EOC-ing and could really care less that I just changed to 0w30 full synth oil . I'm doing an experiment this week. We've averaged 28-ish mpgs so far, but she's in NC all week so its just me driving now. I'm curious to see what sort of results i get from this next tank.Ahwell, like you said, she's still awesome, and she puts up with my eccentricities and occasional gas. I cannot complain.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
bodhi_tree777

Re: Best Mileage Yet (bodhi_tree777)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

(update)Just filled up and got my best tank yet. 355.3 miles on 10.777 gallons, works out to 32.96 mpg. Sweet. This was probably 50/50 city/hwy miles. Figured out how to bump-start my car on this tank & found that I have a few spots on my commute where I can EOC and coast 3/4 of a mile or so. Aside from that, I just tried not to run the A/C and did about 60-62 on the highway. Also, I did an oil change and switched to 0w30 right after I filled up. I dunno if that helped or not, but I like the placebo effect. Oh, and like a fool I forgot about a 5-gallon bucket of house paint that rode in the back for a day or so.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
zionzr2

Re: Best Mileage Yet (bodhi_tree777)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »(update)Just filled up and got my best tank yet. 355.3 miles on 10.777 gallons, works out to 32.96 mpg. Sweet. This was probably 50/50 city/hwy miles. Figured out how to bump-start my car on this tank & found that I have a few spots on my commute where I can EOC and coast 3/4 of a mile or so. Aside from that, I just tried not to run the A/C and did about 60-62 on the highway. Also, I did an oil change and switched to 0w30 right after I filled up. I dunno if that helped or not, but I like the placebo effect. Oh, and like a fool I forgot about a 5-gallon bucket of house paint that rode in the back for a day or so. every little bit helps!
Boomer Vibe

Re: Best Mileage Yet (zionzr2)

Post by Boomer Vibe »

I've only had my 08 for 7 weeks and just turned over 2400 miles. I have about a 45 mile daily commute - about 60% freeway. I have yet to average UNDER 30mpg on a tank!! The worst was 30.2 and the best was 32.3. I have tried both the ethanol blend (10%) and the straight unleaded. The 32.3 mpg tankful was with the straight unleaded, so that is hat I will be running from now on. Here in Iowa, the ethanol blend is about 10 cents a gallon cheaper or 2.7%. But the differernce in mileage from 30.2 to 32.3 is 6.9%. So if the higher priced straight unleaded gets me that much better mileage, I am money ahead. I am looking forward to getting out on the open road and not stopping between fillups to see how good it can do!I traded a 2005 Cobalt coupe in on my Vibe, and what a difference. The gas mileage was good on the Cobalt, but never great - average for a tankfull of combination driving was about 28. It did have a little more pep than my Vibe, but I would rather have the fuel mileage at this stage. Plus, the Vibe just seems to be a more soid car, it is easier to get in and out of,and has a ton more room for hauling stuff.
mspalmer

Post by mspalmer »

I got my best mileage yet as well. I have a 2005 AWD and mainly drive in the city but this past weekend I had a chance to get away for a short trip to my alma mater for a little bachelor party with some old friends. Anyway, on the way home today I left at 6:00 am and drove 2&1/2 hours home. It was 95% freeway and I kept the speedometer around 60 to 65 using the cruise control most of the time and did not use the air conditioner at all. My grand total: 40 mpg I was amazed, I am so used to taking hits for city driving and air conditioning in the AWD. I need to do more freeway driving I guess.MikeFire up Chips
2005 Platinum AWDMoons and TunesXM RadioLLumar Window TintingWeathertech ventshauling my Taylor 410 w/Fishman pickup and Gibson SG guitars
keithvibe

Re: Best Mileage Yet (mspalmer)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by mspalmer »I got my best mileage yet as well. I have a 2005 AWD and mainly drive in the city but this past weekend I had a chance to get away for a short trip to my alma mater for a little bachelor party with some old friends. Anyway, on the way home today I left at 6:00 am and drove 2&1/2 hours home. It was 95% freeway and I kept the speedometer around 60 to 65 using the cruise control most of the time and did not use the air conditioner at all. My grand total: 40 mpg I was amazed, I am so used to taking hits for city driving and air conditioning in the AWD. I need to do more freeway driving I guess.MikeFire up Chips I hope to hit 40mpg as well next month going down to Tenn. for the meet. Got to love it 40mpg and AWD.. lol
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

CONGRATS!!While I have not joined the 40 MPG in an AWD club yet I knew it was possible in the Vibe!!I hope someday I can accomplish this feet as well. I have bested 36 MPG.Another goal is to achieve 500 miles on one tank. I have come close at 475.
mspalmer

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by mspalmer »

I also forgot to mention in my post that I was traveling from Mt. Pleasant, MI to Detroit area. Those of you familiar with mid-Michigan geography will appreciate how flat it is so I was driving under the perfect conditions: flat roads, no air conditioning, just got oil changed so tire air pressure was optimized, cruise control, and just not hurrying.It probably won't be repeated again.Mike
2005 Platinum AWDMoons and TunesXM RadioLLumar Window TintingWeathertech ventshauling my Taylor 410 w/Fishman pickup and Gibson SG guitars
prathman

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by zionzr2 »Another goal is to achieve 500 miles on one tank. I have come close at 475.We came very close on our last trip yesterday. Went 495 miles from Reno to just outside Salt Lake City. Could certainly have gotten over 500 since the ScanGauge said we still had 55 miles before being empty and it took 11.7 gallons to fill - but the station had a pretty good price listed so we stopped. 42.4 mpg on that tank at an average of 67 mph and the AC on. Got 41.5 on the next one across Utah with a little more traffic and hills. ('06 5-speed)
Crompsin

Post by Crompsin »

My plain vanilla Vibe gets about 34 MPG for city driving and 37+ for straight highway.I hope to break 40 MPG after doing a few mods.
saturn5guy

Post by saturn5guy »

For the last 2 months I have been getting 35-36 mpg. I have used several techniques to get this but the best has been slowing down! Drive 50 instead of 55. I have gotten 3-4 mpg for slowing down by 5 in my stock 04.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Somehow I got 39 m.p.g. on my last tank. That's averaging about 65 m.p.h. with 90% highway driving and the a/c on all the time.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
ramenboy...

Re: (saturn5guy)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by saturn5guy »For the last 2 months I have been getting 35-36 mpg. I have used several techniques to get this but the best has been slowing down! Drive 50 instead of 55. I have gotten 3-4 mpg for slowing down by 5 in my stock 04. ha! nice job! i posted earlier somewhere that three's construction all the way down the edens. so the speed limit is 45mph. just staying at 45 boosted my mpg way up. but i'm pullin my hair out wanting to pass people up!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Whelan

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by Whelan »

I've hit 29 and 30mpg in my AWD XR on mix driving with city, highway, and traffic. Typically though I hit an average of 28mpg every tank lately. I've never calc'd long trips so this will be the first for mileage, I'm expecting over 30mpg as I have pulled 340 out of a tank before going upstate NY to the lakes.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
trikkonceptz

Re: (Whelan)

Post by trikkonceptz »

It's nice to see you guys trying to push your Vibes for better mileage. It's possible, so don't give up ... my 2004 Auto averages no less than 44mpg per tank, unless I let some one else drive and so far my 1 tank high was 49mpg.I have the goal of 60mpg on all gas ... this may take some heavy mods, but now this has become more of a game than a necessity.
I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
Whelan

Re: (trikkonceptz)

Post by Whelan »

Don't forget weight savings. Lighter wheels/tires, removal of the spare tire and tray system in the back, etc.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
emt

Post by emt »

MY 2009 1.8 city driving got 25. On a 300mile trip @80mph (usually) with people 305lb and cargo = a moped about 220 lb + 30 lb misc. it got 29mpg. The return trip with same weight at 74mph (usually) it got 30mpg. a/c is always on here in florida.
emt

Post by emt »

After replacing a fuel pump in a 1996 safari van, I researched fuel pump failures and found that low fuel level's in the tank may lead to more heat build up in the pump submerged in the tanks gasoline and a shorter life span. I never try to allow any of my cars/vans to get lower than 1/4 tank of gas to hopefully keep the fuel pump submerged better and cooler. I just bought my vibe and have not checked it out yet for fuel pump location but assume it is the same.
Tubaryan12

Re: Best Mileage Yet (Boomer Vibe)

Post by Tubaryan12 »

My best tank ever was 429 miles on 11.157 gallons = 38.45mpg. I drive about 90% highway each day.
ex Vibe: 2005 Abyss 2 tone base, auto, power package (33.24 mpg combined)2008 Kia Rondo EX V6 7 passenger Volcanic Red w/ tan cloth interior (26.7 mpg combined) Finally got 30 mpg combined on the Rondo V-6 (10.24.09) Smith Driving
mpgman

Post by mpgman »

I hardly ever drive my wife's 2004 GT. I was stunned by the mileage I got yesterday driving to Niagara Falls and back. 193 miles on 5.5 gallons of 93 octane - 35 mpg. That included 40 minutes of idling and clutching crossing the border. I filled up to the top before and after the trip and I never expected this car to get that kind of mileage. There was moderate traffic and I set the cruise faster than most. 2/3 of the miles were with the cruise on, the rest of the time the traffic was too heavy. About 25 of the miles were off the highway. And no, my username has nothing to do with fuel frugatlity, it just happens to be my initials.
vibebob

Re: (mpgman)

Post by vibebob »

I get a very consistant 26.5 mpg city and 34 highway. I don't baby it but I'm not a lead foot either. . I just drive
no longer a vibe owner"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding." Albert Einstein.
djkeev

Re: (vibebob)

Post by djkeev »

Ok, I'll revive this thread.I just got back from a trip down I 95 doing anywhere from 55 - 80 depending how the traffic flowed along and after several tanks I've averaged 35.6 MPG with a stock 07 automatic A/C on about 2/3 of the time.I'm happy! I've got about 40,000 miles and this is the best I've ever done and this was without really trying to get good mpg's.Next I'm going to try premium and see if there is a noticible MPG hike or not.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Lboogie

Post by Lboogie »

On my first full tank of gas with this car, 100mi daily roundtrip commute, all highway about 30% stop & go.34mpg, and my odometer is past 100k mi. Hopefully I'll gain a couple mpg when I freshen up the oil/tranny fluids, air filter, & spark plugs/wires.
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (Lboogie)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

My mileage has gotten better over the life of the car. Maybe I'm more conservative (heh, after I got my CAI, I gunned the cr@p out of it for a full tank!).Here's my mileage over the life of the car so far:

Attached files
WD0AFQ

Re: (ZubenElGenubi)

Post by WD0AFQ »

It was a cool morning so we were not using the a/c. Was on our way home from Detroit. I stopped at the Indiana state line and filled it to the brim. Decided this would be a good day to check mileage on our 03 GT again. I set the cruise at 64.5 per my scan gauge and gps. Drove mostly with the cruise on. When we got to Terre Haute I filled it to the brim again. We got an even 37 mpg. I thought that was very impressive for a gt with 95k on it. I did not like getting passed though. With this tank it had warmed up so I cut the a/c on but slowed the mph down to 62. We got 35 mpg. I normally get 31-32 mpg driving 70 with air on. The Scan Gauge is your best friend when trying to skweak every mile from a gallon of gas. I constantly watch the TPS and MPG along with my altitude changes on the gps. I did no drafting on this trip and it was all flat land. I have done my share of drafting though which pulls unbelievale mileage. I don't recommend it though. Takes way too much consentration.Dan
Dan GreggDexter, Mo.03 GThttp://www.danandteri.blogspot.com
Banjovibe

Post by Banjovibe »

I took a trip from Asheville, NC to Portland ME in my '09 2.4L auto 5 speed (I wish more people would state their engine size and whether it's standard or auto-4 or 5 speed). I averaged 34.5 mpg up and back. I get about 26 when driving in mostly city traffic.
We live our lives by the choices we make. I chose Vibe
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...2009 Vibe (2ZR-FE) 1.8L 4sp-auto, averaging 34.4 mpg (@ 6.4K total miles): 90% freeway at 60 mph, 10% city at 35-40 mph; A/C in afternoon only; about 250 miles per week....and, this evenings' tank fillup was 34.3 mpg (322.2 miles/9.403 gal)...so, the consistancy from tank-to-tank is pretty good.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
zoomie

Re: (Banjovibe)

Post by zoomie »

Quote, originally posted by Banjovibe »I took a trip from Asheville, NC to Portland ME in my '09 2.4L auto 5 speed (I wish more people would state their engine size and whether it's standard or auto-4 or 5 speed). I averaged 34.5 mpg up and back. I get about 26 when driving in mostly city traffic.Hi BanjoVibe, thats pretty sweet mpg's for sure, could I ask a wee favor when you get the time, to note the mph your transmission shifts through each gear at and post in ionelz's thread http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=38325 to compare a 4-speed auto with a 5-speed auto 1.8L 2ZR-FE-cheers, amigo EDIT: D'oh your 5-speeds a 2.4L
- 2009 1SA - 1.8L VVT-i 2ZR-FE - 5 Speed MT - TGMO 0W-20
Banjovibe

Post by Banjovibe »

Sorry Zoomie. Just saw your post. I'll check it out and post it on the requested thread.
We live our lives by the choices we make. I chose Vibe