Timing belt????

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
crashandburn

Timing belt????

Post by crashandburn »

A quick question before I go to a dealer amd get hooked....I assume both the Vibe engines have timing belts, what is the change mileage and cost?The 08 & 09s have the 100,000 mile powertrain warr. I was just wondering if the change mileage was inside this window?
ColonelPanic

Re: Timing belt???? (crashandburn)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Not to worry, you've got a timing chain all '03-08 models. I'm assuming the 09's also have chains, but I haven't heard either way. I don't see them going back to a belt quite frankly, so I bet they still have chains in them too.You'll only have to replace the chain if there happens to be a problem with it, which is very rare at best.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
crashandburn

Re: Timing belt???? (ColonelPanic)

Post by crashandburn »

Thanks...I hate belts, I had one break on a Eagle Talon turbo with only 19000 miles, was repaired under warrenty but the engine never had the same feel after that.
joshman

Re: Timing belt???? (crashandburn)

Post by joshman »

Great to hear this! My wife was asking about whether it had a belt or chain...Sounds like its more reliable.. doesnt need changing as often as a belt?

Attached files
stealth

Re: Timing belt???? (joshman)

Post by stealth »

The Vibe has a timing chain which generally requires no maintenance and doesn't need to be changed. My last vehicle had a timing chain & ran well for 15 yrs without any problem.
kevera

Re: Timing belt???? (stealth)

Post by kevera »

The Vibe does have a chain,but chains do stretch.Most do need to be changed at the 250-300 k mark.Looks like you have a long way to go before you have to worry about that.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil