Engine Oils? Dinosaur or Synthetic? Royal Purple?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ITTRay

Engine Oils? Dinosaur or Synthetic? Royal Purple?

Post by ITTRay »

Hey. Is there a thread on engine oils? I was seriously thinking about going with Royal Purple. Has anyone tried the stuff in their vibe? The Royal Purple website claims power gains from better lubrication and decreased engine noise.
Kamikaze

Re: Engine Oils? Dinosaur or Synthetic? Royal Purple? (ITTRay)

Post by Kamikaze »

If you do a search for synthetic you'll find a lot of threads talking about differences... not sure about royal purple as oppose to others... I use Mobil 1http://forums.genvibe.com/zerosearch
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

I've used MB1 and RP. I currently use and have been using RP in my LGT and will continue to do so in my STI. MB1 recently changed their formula and I know of a few LGT owners who've had some issues. Not sure exactly what they did, but doesn't seem like it's as good as before. Mav uses MB1 in his Vibe and in his STI now (I believe, or will be using... I don't think we have that many miles on the car).You should also check out Amsoil. I believe the last comparison study put them to number 1 spot.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
Shadow-Vibe

Post by Shadow-Vibe »

I run the Royal Purple in my Vibe. I can really notice a differance when I change the oil every 5000 miles. I have started using the Castrol in the wifes Vibe that is stock and after the first change she asked me what I did to her car. She could notice the differance also. I will not use anything but Synthetic in any of my cars now.
ITTRay

Post by ITTRay »

Thanks guys. I think I am going to run Royal Purple. The stuff has always had my attention, I just never knew anyone who had used the stuff. I might even try using it in my Chevelle. I will post the results as soon as I change over to Royal Purple.
ITTRay

Post by ITTRay »

Also, i'm going to use royal purple's manual tranny oil in the 5-speed as well. If you go to their website you can see videos of vehicle that did a complete fluid switch to RP. They did a Dodge Ram and I think it got 8-10 more horse power to the wheels! And the damn thing ran alot cooler, and got better gas mileage.
scott_h

Post by scott_h »

I've used Amsoil in both cars for at least 3 years.
Scott
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

honestly, if you change the oils and fluids at 3K miles, it won't really matter what synthetic oil you use. Mine is changed every 3000-3500 miles religiously. only leaks I get are coolant leaks but that's due to the turbo swap and fitment of non-OEM hoses, nothing to do with anything wrong.I'm a big fan of my RP, however Mav's a big fan of MB1 because it's cheap.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

RP is great alot of people i know use the stuff in their cars and have said nothing but good things..eventually i'll switch over to RP
dmsween

Post by dmsween »

I use MB1 and change it every 3-4k. I could probably run it longer but they've got the 3k/3 month engraved into everybody's head. $21 bucks at Walmart plus filter.
'03 GT35% Tint Windows, 20% Rear HatchMoons & Tunes w/o Rear Sub
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

Every one is all up in arms about Mobile 1's recent change. If you read the label carefully, you can find the full synthetic. This was in response to a ruling allowing a competitor to have a full synthetic label when it was only partially synthetic.The thing about Amsoil and Royal Purple is that you have to be very careful about their product. Amsoil claims to meet all the API specs, but in reality, only one of their products does. Furthermore, SAE tests are a little more rigorous and Amsoil and RP have not done so well in those tests.I don't mind RP or Amsoil for tranny oil or differential oil, but I just haven't seen consistent enough data on how their products do at temperature. And their marketing just strikes me as low brow (not being forthright in which products have actually received API approval, etc).
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
ITTRay

Re: (engineertwin2)

Post by ITTRay »

Royal Purple's Website claims temperature drops that are substantial, at least in their gear oil. Im not sure about the engine temp. Check out their site, they have some cool vids of Horse Power TV, TRUCKS, and a couple others using their products. Seems like they have good results to me.
Sublimewind

Re: (ITTRay)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by ITTRay »Royal Purple's Website claims temperature drops that are substantial, at least in their gear oil. Im not sure about the engine temp. Check out their site, they have some cool vids of Horse Power TV, TRUCKS, and a couple others using their products. Seems like they have good results to me. People can "claim" anything they want on thier OWN website... and the "cool" vids they have can also be "rigged" due to sponsorship... If RP is giving HPTV, Trucks, and others, LARGE sums of money, you think they are going to say ANYTHING negitive about the product? Not likely... those show are fun to watch, but, understand that EVERYTHING they say is skripted, which mean the guy you see on camera, is just an empty shell, regurgitating things they see on a telepromptor..I'm not saying the calims are false, I just wanted to point out that just because HPTV says its good, doesn't mean it's "honest to goodness" truth..
ITTRay

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by ITTRay »

Agreed. I see your point. I just forgot for a minute how to be cynical. I guess I was hoping to actually trust a company again. Anyways, thanks for your input Sub.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by ITTRay »Agreed. I see your point. I just forgot for a minute how to be cynical. I guess I was hoping to actually trust a company again. Anyways, thanks for your input Sub.It has nothing to do with being "cynical" it has EVERYTHING to do with being "critical" which are 2 very different things... I wasn't being cynical at all, but, much more so, being critical of what is being offered up to us in terms of "fact" Much like the news, we get to hear what they WANT us to hear... I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers there on your end man, just stating what's been learned to me over years of research... BTW, your SN, are you currently in ITT Tech?? I'm an alumni from 99' (my god, it's been that long already..wow)
ITTRay

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by ITTRay »

Oh no man!! No ruffled feathers here. I was just joking around being sarcastic. And btw I am at ITT Tech. I'm at the Louisville Kentucky campus. I really enjoy ITT. I have some really great professors that really care about the students. I cant say as much about the program chairs (they seem to have a "i dont give a crap" attitude) but overall I like it there. Straight A's too! What campus did you come out of? What program? Has your degree helped you alot in your career? I started in CEET, but I just switched to CDD.
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

I used M1 on the Vibe without any issues and used it because it was good, not because you could buy it cheap at a wal-mart sale. I haven't decided what to use on the STi when I get to the mileage point of switching. Seeing the wear and tear the LGT took on RP and didn't really eat a whole lot, I may switch to that. However a lot of the issues people were having with oil and heavily modified cars was actually caused by the weight of oil they were using.And regardless of the claims on lof intervels, I still do every 3000 miles. Cause guess what? If you come in with a blown up engine claiming you used synthetic and went 6k... I'm going to quote you $8000 engine rebuild lol
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by ITTRay »Oh no man!! No ruffled feathers here. I was just joking around being sarcastic. And btw I am at ITT Tech. I'm at the Louisville Kentucky campus. I really enjoy ITT. I have some really great professors that really care about the students. I cant say as much about the program chairs (they seem to have a "i dont give a crap" attitude) but overall I like it there. Straight A's too! What campus did you come out of? What program? Has your degree helped you alot in your career? I started in CEET, but I just switched to CDD.I went to the Getzville NY campus... My course study was electronics technology, which they haven't taught since the year after me... it's all IT stuff now from what I understand... As far as my degree helping me, sure... I had a job before I left school doing R&D work making diamond like coatings (DLC) and Diamond like Nanocomposits (DLN) along with some polycrystalline diamond done in a 30kw microwave at 2000*C..lol... It later took me out to VT, where I worked for IBM... and a whole host of other bits I've done... some of the things I've seen/done.... just incredible... I'm just a glorified technician, but, I've been lucky and got to work on some incredible things... I even spent a few months in a Fuel Cell development program... I was a glorified "screen printer" but I was using Platinum ink... @~10k$ for 400g of the stuff.. I would say it helped, but, i've done practly nothing I was taught since school...
Sublimewind

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »I used M1 on the Vibe without any issues and used it because it was good, not because you could buy it cheap at a wal-mart sale. I haven't decided what to use on the STi when I get to the mileage point of switching. Seeing the wear and tear the LGT took on RP and didn't really eat a whole lot, I may switch to that. However a lot of the issues people were having with oil and heavily modified cars was actually caused by the weight of oil they were using.And regardless of the claims on lof intervels, I still do every 3000 miles. Cause guess what? If you come in with a blown up engine claiming you used synthetic and went 6k... I'm going to quote you $8000 engine rebuild lolMuch of the problems i've read about with M1, was it breaking down into different weights under load... so the once 10w-30 would quickly crack down into 10w-20 or something like that... from what I understand... and it's a very thin 30 weight oil to start with.. again, from what I understand.. I'm now sticking with German Castrol syntec 0w-30.. in my GC..
sjbourg

Post by sjbourg »

I just changed the oil in my car a few weeks ago to Royal Purple and went through my first tank of gas. I got about a 2 mpg increase in gas mileage. This is only the first tank, and I'll keep track to see if the mileage gains are sustained. Also, the Vibe felt instantly more responsive after the switch to RP. I don't think the improvements are placebo. I'll continue to use it from now on!
ITTRay

Re: Engine Oils? Dinosaur or Synthetic? Royal Purple? (sjbourg)

Post by ITTRay »

sj....thanks for the post
4azdmunky

Post by 4azdmunky »

Royal Purple rocks!I didnt think it would actualy do anything, but i was very surprised at how much better my car ran.I ended up converting all my cars over to it.I would think that an AmsOil system would be the best though, for those that can afford it.
AKLGT

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »I used M1 on the Vibe without any issues and used it because it was good, not because you could buy it cheap at a wal-mart sale. I haven't decided what to use on the STi when I get to the mileage point of switching. Seeing the wear and tear the LGT took on RP and didn't really eat a whole lot, I may switch to that. However a lot of the issues people were having with oil and heavily modified cars was actually caused by the weight of oil they were using.And regardless of the claims on lof intervels, I still do every 3000 miles. Cause guess what? If you come in with a blown up engine claiming you used synthetic and went 6k... I'm going to quote you $8000 engine rebuild lolkeep in mind, your Vibe wasn't exactly the premo sports car nor was it really run hard, other than autox and 2 times to the drag strip its entire life. I know what hell I've put my LGT through and the fact that it's surviving the abuse on the RP is pretty impressive. I don't know if I can really say it's the oil itself, perhaps MB1 would do the job as well, however at this point, I'm not willing to risk it. I've read on my lgt.com forums of a few customers blowing up their engines using the same weight as I, also changing regularly, etc who only used MB1. Just something in the new formula they are using. I've also heard on the NASIOC forums of people having issues with RP, so I guess it's tough to say which is better? RP isn't cheap, I know how much it costs me. MB1 is almost half of what I get RP for, same weight. If I didn't need the oil changed as often as I do (because I have high miles) than I'd probably look at Amsoil. I've also heard a lot of good things about the German Castrol synthetics as well, from some of the Euro/BMW guys and also on the lgt.com forums (you can tell where I spend a lot of time).
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
oliver7777

Post by oliver7777 »

If you are looking for great pricing and service on Royal Purple Oil check out http://www.lucky7trucks.com
Retroactive

Re: (oliver7777)

Post by Retroactive »

I have been using Valvoline with slick50 for years now, am I missing out on something? I always though that was the ultimate protection ever 3k.
KNINE

Re: (Retroactive)

Post by KNINE »

I read somewhere once, that Slick 50 was just a gimmick and offered no real protection. The article said that you would be better off using a straight synthetic and perform regular oil changes. Sorry that I don't have the article to reference to. I use pennzoil synthetic every 5000 miles. I don't drive my Vibe very hard, and it works fine for me.I was under the assumption that RP was made for high performance engines, and offered no real benefits to a stock street engine.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
spark123

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by spark123 »

Both synthetic and mineral oil get dirty at the same rate. Do you want to run extra miles circulating that dirt around your engine wearing out the parts. You are better off using cheaper oil and changing it more frequently thus circulating clean oil.The other issue with synthetic is it is slipperier but it provides less cushioning effect between engine components causing bearing wear.Take some 5w30 synthetic and mineral oil between your fingers and rub them together. The synthetic will disappear sooner. This will give better gas mileage with the sacrifice of better bearing lubrication as they run on a cushion of oil.Your choice.
03 Vibe Base w/Moon & Tunes69 Catalina Vert66 Fairlane Wagon98 Mustang Vert95 Saturn SW291 2500 Silverado
truckdriver402

Re: Oil

Post by truckdriver402 »

I am so passionate about my oil and filter! I started using Castrol Syntec. I was noticing that around 2500 miles, the oil was dirty and was just below the 'full' line.I switched to Mobil 1 and haven't had a problem since. I ALWAYS use a Pure One oil filter too. Always.