Weak clutch in GT

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Vibenator

Weak clutch in GT

Post by Vibenator »

Hi everyone. I'm a new member here and would like to know if the slipping clutch on my '03 Vibe GT (27,000 miles) is common or not. I've been driving a clutch for almost 40 years and have never had a problem. My wife drives the car occasionally, but she knows the proper clutch technique. I bought the car at around 17,000 miles a year ago. I have never had a clutch problem before with my BMWs, Volvos, Mitsubishis, and Dodges. Is the clutch a weak point in the GT or am I doing something wrong?
2002 Chrysler T&C Minivan, 2003 Pontiac Vibe, 2004 Chrysler Crossfire
lovemyraffe

Re: Weak clutch in GT (Vibenator)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Welcome!!! I know there are others on here who have had similar problems with their clutches burning early. Good luck.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Welcome to GenVibe! The weak GT clutch is a common problem. Do a search for "clutch" and it will bring up tons of threads for you to view.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

yeah the GT stock has a goofy clutch and I hear it wears out rather quickly.... But the aftermarket support for the replacement is very good. Some GT members should post up with their recommendations and storys im sure
ITcar

Re: (northvibe)

Post by ITcar »

im at 70,000 in my GT and no signs of slipping, i guess im fortunate
Petrucci914

Post by Petrucci914 »

The first thread in this subforum has all the info you need. It's 'stickied' at the top. "typical life of hydraulic clutch"Some have replaced them every 20k miles, others have had no issues up to 100k miles. But the thing to know is, if you have an issue with it and it needs to be replaced, spend the money on a good aftermarket replacement that'll last. Don't keep replacing it with cheap OEMs.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Creggerj

Re: Weak clutch in GT

Post by Creggerj »

Ok so I had my clutch swapped about 4 months ago. (It's the 1.8 not gt 2009) I don't drive crazy I don't squak my tires... So I'm driving home a few days ago and I notice the clutch starting to slip on takeoff. I immediately took the car for a test drive and sure enough. Driving very slow. Dropping the car into 4th gear and hammering down on the throttle... The clutch was starting to slip. I was easy on it and brought it home right away. I snooped around and found an adjustment bolt above the clutch pedal. Up behind the fuse box. You need to basically get on your back and look up .. follow the clutch pedal.

So this adjuster bolt whatever you want to call it was sticking out about an inch... The clutch pedal rests on this bolt as a stopper... The new clutch never felt like the pedal went up high enough to begin with.... Also

When I had my clutch changed the mechanic that did it mentioned that it didn't look terrible... After it was replaced there was NO FREE PLAY in the pedal. (Slave cyl was replaced too at time of clutch swap)

So as a test, I pulled the whole bolt out... Had to loosen off the fuse box to get at the bolt... But after that BAM. I HAD FULL GRAB

The damn problem with these early blowing clutches is the stupid adjuster not letting the springs fully grab in the first place.

I wish I could tell everyone that owns these finicky buggers

:)