Stinky smell

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Shadow-Vibe

Stinky smell

Post by Shadow-Vibe »

I have an 03 base and I believe my cat my finally be going out because of the bad smell. Is this true or how is another way o check it. I thought I heard someone say that there was a ongoing issue with the 03's cats. True?
zionzr2

Re: Stinky smell (Shadow-Vibe)

Post by zionzr2 »

there is a TSB for the 03 to 04 and some 05s that the Cat exhaust would smell like rotten eggs..The dealer would replace cat and PCM.use the SEARCH feature for Rotten Eggs and you should find the TSB
mistertwo

Post by mistertwo »

i have an 06 with ~9000 miles on it and i get a terrible rotten egg smell, and everone asks if my exhaust if aftermarket because it is loud and sounds like a performance muffler.. its completley stock though.. i wonder if there is an issue with my cat causing this?
Shadow-Vibe

Re: Stinky smell (zionzr2)

Post by Shadow-Vibe »

Thanks I found the TSB and have a question for anyone that has had this done. What changed when they replaced the PCM? Any notice of power loss or gain, torque response anything?
ITcar

Re: (mistertwo)

Post by ITcar »

Quote, originally posted by mistertwo »and everone asks if my exhaust if aftermarket because it is loud and sounds like a performance muffler.. its completley stock though.. i wonder if there is an issue with my cat causing this?i have had the same thing happen, only i havent noticed any smells? would i smell it from in the car? or would i have to be standing behind it...
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I had this done a while ago!! and since then, there has been no smell and my MPG went up an average of roughly 2mpg. There was no noticeable change in power or anything like that.
mistertwo

Re: (ITcar)

Post by mistertwo »

Quote, originally posted by ITcar »i have had the same thing happen, only i havent noticed any smells? would i smell it from in the car? or would i have to be standing behind it...i normally smell it outside the car toward the middle of the car and at the back. it doesn't happen all the time either... just once in awhile, and i haven't noticed any pattern..
Shadow-Vibe

Re: (mistertwo)

Post by Shadow-Vibe »

I have noticed it really bad if I'm on it really hard or if I'm racing through some corners when I'm using my brakes alot. I can smell it when I'm sitting in the driver set also.
Petrucci914

Re: (Shadow-Vibe)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Same here. New converters will be here in a few days.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Shadow-Vibe

Re: (Petrucci914)

Post by Shadow-Vibe »

Going into the shop today to see if this is my problem. They will probably tell me that can't find anything wrong with it. Damn dealer.
Petrucci914

Re: (Shadow-Vibe)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Ya, I got the Post-Cat delivered yesterday, still waiting for the Pre-Cat. Everything shipped to me lately has taken forever, it's rediculous. I want to get this done before I start blowing seals.
2003 Pontiac Vibe Base - AutomaticTRD Supercharger w/ Smoothflow PulleyaFe Drop-in Filter - DC Sports HeaderFull 2.25" Exhaust -Magnaflow Catback + CatsOptima RedTop - Tru-Cool Tranny Cooler
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »I want to get this done before I start blowing seals.Dude, you blow seals?
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Petrucci914

Re: (Kamikaze)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Quote, originally posted by Kamikaze »Dude, you blow seals? If the price is right, and I do it right before I club them.
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by Petrucci914 »If the price is rightooohhhh no.uh huh huh
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Petrucci914

Re: (Kamikaze)

Post by Petrucci914 »

Problem solved. I changed my diaper.