Oil catch can installed

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
02csnow

Oil catch can installed

Post by 02csnow »

Installed the oil catch can today. Very easy install. Just have to wait and see if it works properly. I also did a little vinyl on the front to give it a little depth. I will get some pics up tommorrow, so you all can let me know what you think about the vinyl.
Bye Bye Vibe.............
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

nice, which catch can? I think im going to do this too....soon.
joholste

Re: (northvibe)

Post by joholste »

I would like to see some pics of where you have that installed at.
2003 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab, Z71Formerly2003 Base Vibe (Frosty)
kevera

Re: Oil catch can installed (02csnow)

Post by kevera »

We demand pics,secret project man.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

posting about a MOD with out pictures should award you an automatic BAN ... lol BTW it's tomorrow.... where are those pictures
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
02csnow

Re: Oil catch can installed (keithvibe)

Post by 02csnow »

Well, I was heading out the door to take some pics, then I realized the in-laws went to Vegas and they took the camera with them. Sorry guys. Will try to get some up asap.
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by 02csnow »Well, I was heading out the door to take some pics, then I realized the in-laws went to Vegas and they took the camera with them. Sorry guys. Will try to get some up asap.HAHA... call the cops and report a stolen camera... that will get ya two rewards... your camera back and the in-laws an extended stay in Las-Vegas... LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
kevera

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »HAHA... call the cops and report a stolen camera... that will get ya two rewards... your camera back and the in-laws an extended stay in Las-Vegas... LOL ahahaha.
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

I just removed mine last Thursday might. Took the 'cup' off the drain the oil sludge and put it back on. Car died 3 times on the way home from work. Heard a loud air leaking sound. It was coming from the oil catch can. The O-ring got streatched some how and wasn't sealing. Only took 2 minutes to remove it. Runs 'fine' now. Need to find another catch can i guess.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
northvibe

Re: Oil catch can installed (Lancer)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Lancer »I just removed mine last Thursday might. Took the 'cup' off the drain the oil sludge and put it back on. Car died 3 times on the way home from work. Heard a loud air leaking sound. It was coming from the oil catch can. The O-ring got streatched some how and wasn't sealing. Only took 2 minutes to remove it. Runs 'fine' now. Need to find another catch can i guess.which one did you have on? ill remember NOT to get that one
kevera

Re: Oil catch can installed (northvibe)

Post by kevera »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »which one did you have on? ill remember NOT to get that one 1+Hey Lancer,do you think changing the O'ring would make it useable again.
02csnow

Re: Oil catch can installed (kevera)

Post by 02csnow »

I believe Lancer got one from Home Depot. A do it yourself style. But correct me if I am wrong Lancer.
kevera

Post by kevera »

That's right,you are correct.
cooks128

Post by cooks128 »

Forgive my ignorance....new to the whole modding scene...what exactly is and oil catch can and what benifit does it provide....Thanks
Lancer

Re: Oil catch can installed (cooks128)

Post by Lancer »

More for boosted engines. Helps keep the oil and oil vapor from the engine head from going into the intake via the engine breather and pcv valve. That oil and vapor can glog up your throttle body (and sensors), intake manifold, valves.I use a Home Depot airline filter. Can't think of the name right now, It's been a long day and I'm sick (it's goin' around!). All I need is the O-ring and it should be fine. Gotta see if Home Depot sells JUST the O-ring.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
cooks128

Re: Oil catch can installed (Lancer)

Post by cooks128 »

Cool...thanks for the info....I really need to go a Vibe meet to talk to some other owners.....All my mods (if you can call them that) on my 04 GT have been cosmetic....and I'm really wanting to do some performance mods but need some real time guidance....and someone that could assist with "wrench time" under the hood with me...
02csnow

Re: Oil catch can installed

Post by 02csnow »

I finally got the camera back and took some pics. I aslo got a pic of the tranny cooler.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Looks good! Nice clean installs on all your engine mods.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
kevera

Post by kevera »

Looks good man.I like the red cooler,I may have to drive down to Virginia and pull a fog light on you.
02csnow

Re: Oil catch can installed (kevera)

Post by 02csnow »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »I may have to drive down to Virginia and pull a fog light on you. That's not funny. I got mine fair and square, even trade. You don't want to go out to your car one morning and suddenly get in and start driving and then no boost, do you?
kevera

Post by kevera »

ahahahaha Canada is far though.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Hey everyone sorry to ressurect this but...I am thinking of getting this mod done too and have some questions.1.) What size 9mm or 15mm?2.) Noticed on the pic its kinda mounted to the rad??3.) Is it worth the investment/value notice anything in the idle process or cleaner intake?4.) Where does it connect too?Thanks everyone.
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

sorry, Ivan, I have no clue where this would go on a Vibe. I have one on my STI, but completely different set up. I know the idea behind it is pretty much the same, but not sure where the oil comes from on the Vibe.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
trimovingxr

Re: (Celtic_Curse)

Post by trimovingxr »

The answer to your question - is it 9mm or 15mm - is both.The oil catch can is installed inline, between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. If you notice, the stock hose connecting the PCV valve to the intake manifold is tapered. The end that connects to the PCV valve is 9mm (11/32") and the other end that connects to the intake manifold is 15mm (19/32").So, you can get a catch can that has 9mm or 15mm outlets, as long as it comes with a 9mm-to-15mm hose adapter. Most catch cans do.Btw, I installed my catch can on the radiator shroud, same as 02csnow.
My Webpage
keithvibe

Re: (trimovingxr)

Post by keithvibe »

That is where mine is going as well.
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Thanks I realy appreciate the information.CC
2003 Supercharged 5spd Vibe BaseGM Supercharger + TRD ECUMagnaflow Cat Back + DC Sports Header 18" AXIS rimms w/Kumho TiresTop Spoiler + Vis CF Functional Scoop
Celtic_Curse

Post by Celtic_Curse »

Update. I installed the Greddy can but not to the radiator housing. I mounted it underneath the battery. If you have the Supercharger both connections are 9mm or3/8's for you imperial folks. I did buy new hoses and noticed the vacuum is pretty strong on the PCV side. Here is hoping it all works as I had a piece left over a silver plug that I could not find where it went. The instructions aren't in english so no help there.